Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A return

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
PGF

A return

Post by PGF » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:07 pm

Hello,

First a little history, I lurked here for a few months before buying my Z4MR a few years ago, at the time I had bold ideas for mods and compiled a list. I hung around on here for a while, the list got longer and the total scared me a little. I decided that if I was ever going to make it to my aim of an M4 coupe I couldn't start down this road, so I took my wallet and ran. Fast forward to now and an upgrade from a flat to a house has ate into my M4 fund and I've decided to pull that list out and sort some of the other niggles that have developed over the past few years.

First the niggles:

Navigation - Out of date maps, I did think that the 08 maps box in the centre console was for the disc in the drive. I have recently realised that there is a copy in there at the moment. The firmware version shows 4 1/00 which I believe means I'm running real firmware, AFAIK this means I just need a new maps disc from BMW and I'm sorted? Also 7 character postcode search is only possible using dodgy firmware, is this correct?

ICE - I have Intravee II installed by the previous owner, however the ipod cable has started to become temperamental. I've come to realise that I don't really use the ipod very much and would really like to have a DAB radio instead. I remember reading something about 'Alpine AiNET' but can't remember exactly. Also, how do I go about programming it, there are various coding things that I'd like to turn on through this but I don't have a cable or software and all the threads I can find about it seem to talk like its obvious :? either that or they're c.8 years old and mention Windows XP...

Wheels - My wheels are a mess, a combination of previous owner's affection for kerbs and my laziness when it comes to getting the brake dust off every weekend. Can any North East or ideally Middlesbrough members recommend a place, I've seen good things about Romax in Stockton but I thought I'd ask first.

Mods:

Paint - I have the usual stone chips but I also have grand ideas including aero skirts, front plate holder delete, boot lock delete and depending on the DAB radio, an aerial delete. Can those of us that live in the better part of the country recommend anywhere?

Interior - I want to change from the current standard black with brushed alu trim to something resembling the extended leather champagne one. I love the look of this but would be limiting it to the trans tunnel, tops of the door cards, maybe sunvisors and obviously the seats. I'll probably do something with the trim too, either painting black or black leather, once again can anyone in the north east recommend?

There's more but I'm out of lunch break at the moment and the boss is looking my way :ninja:

TIA

Paul.

dgm

A return

Post by dgm » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:25 pm

To get digital radio via the intravee you'll need an Alpine TUA-100DAB unit which are like hens teeth and will cost upwards of £200. I've got one and it works well but I haven't seen one come up for sale for a good while.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

PGF

A return

Post by PGF » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:46 pm

dgm wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:25 pm To get digital radio via the intravee you'll need an Alpine TUA-100DAB unit which are like hens teeth and will cost upwards of £200. I've got one and it works well but I haven't seen one come up for sale for a good while.
Ah, right thanks very much. I take it you can control it properly through the stock head unit?

Did you need the intravee switch to make it work or did it just take the place of the iPod lead?

I'll just have to keep an eye out for one then, me and probably everyone else on here and e46zone hehe.

dgm

A return

Post by dgm » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:36 pm

IMG_0696.JPG
IMG_0696.JPG (320.47 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
You're don't need the Intravee switch, you'd be able to retain your current iPhone/iPod cable and have the Alpine DAB unit working in tandem. Just replace your existing iPod cable, it's not difficult to do. You can easily make up an additional plug using BMW parts that avoid having to interfere with the cars wiring at all.

Below you can see the set up I previously had in an E53 X5 and shows how everything is wired up and how to create the additional plugs using the BMW parts. It will be the exact same in the Z4.
IMG_0695.JPG
IMG_0695.JPG (484.28 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0694.JPG (493.36 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
IMG_0693.JPG
IMG_0693.JPG (456.02 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
Last edited by dgm on Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

dgm

A return

Post by dgm » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:39 pm

Also you would need a DAB aerial, I've got one stuck to my windscreen but there will be alternatives available now I would imagine. If you find a DAB unit give me a shout and I'll assist with the set up if I can.

dgm

A return

Post by dgm » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:53 pm

Deleted, added in error.

PGF

A return

Post by PGF » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:43 pm

dgm wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:39 pm If you find a DAB unit give me a shout and I'll assist with the set up if I can.
Sounds great, I'll keep an eye out and hopefully one will fall into my lap and I may just take you up on the offer of help.

I'm under the impression that the UK does DAB differently to the rest of Europe, does this mean I need a specifically UK version??

Can anybody else help me on some of the other things??

TIA

Paul.

dgm

A return

Post by dgm » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:13 pm

As far as I know any Alpine TUA-100DAB will work in the UK but not in Europe. I had no reception at all with it in France with both the Z4 and the X5.

Good luck in your search, I've got it as a saved search in eBay and can't remember the last time one came up. Keep an eye on any forums that cover E39 5 series, E46 3 series and E53 X5 too, you never know your luck.