Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

GROUP BUY: ** Carbon Fiber & Fiberglass Side Skirt Extensions ** - ENDED 23/09/17

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
rockstar93

GROUP BUY: ** Carbon Fiber & Fiberglass Side Skirt Extensions ** - ENDED 23/09/17

Post by rockstar93 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:42 am

thanatu55 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:09 pm
rockstar93 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:24 pmHitting refresh on the tracking every 5 minutes in anticipation!
Any good news as yet?
Yes! They arrived today! Unfortunately got hit with an extra $35 upon delivery, $10 for a "Handling Charge" whatever that is. Packaging was great and wasnt abused in transit. Plan to have them on Saturday morning, using 3M auto mounting tape and self-tapping screws.

If I'm honest, the quality isn't quite what I expected. I only opened/inspected the passenger side skirts but assume the driver's side is similar. Two places where there's a dent/prang on the edge like it ran into something - thankfully on the inside out of sight when installed. Also a ton of fish eyes in the clear, and minor flaws in the CF. I'm probably just being really picky, and I'm likely the only one to ever actually look hard enough to notice it.

Still looking forward to having them on. Just installed my APR Performance front splitter last week and this will complement it VERY well. Timing was perfect.
Instagram
E46 M3 Coupe 6MT Jet Black/Cinnamon GONE
E85 Z4M Roadster Imola Red/Black GONE
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E90 M3 Sedan 6MT Jerez Black/Fox Red

rockstar93

Post by rockstar93 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:47 am

BMWZ4MC wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:04 pm I'm waiting to see photographs of them fitted to an IL coupe, preferably one with aeroskirts. They look like they'll really complement the zed :thumbsup:
I should have pictures of mine done by Monday evening, though no aero skirts on my car.
Instagram

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:06 am

:popcorn:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:56 pm

rockstar93 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:42 am
thanatu55 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:09 pm
rockstar93 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:24 pmHitting refresh on the tracking every 5 minutes in anticipation!
Any good news as yet?
Yes! They arrived today! Unfortunately got hit with an extra $35 upon delivery, $10 for a "Handling Charge" whatever that is. Packaging was great and wasnt abused in transit. Plan to have them on Saturday morning, using 3M auto mounting tape and self-tapping screws.

If I'm honest, the quality isn't quite what I expected. I only opened/inspected the passenger side skirts but assume the driver's side is similar. Two places where there's a dent/prang on the edge like it ran into something - thankfully on the inside out of sight when installed. Also a ton of fish eyes in the clear, and minor flaws in the CF. I'm probably just being really picky, and I'm likely the only one to ever actually look hard enough to notice it.

Still looking forward to having them on. Just installed my APR Performance front splitter last week and this will complement it VERY well. Timing was perfect.
Hey buddy,

I'm sorry to hear there are a few issues with yours, I'd be interested to know if anybody else has any similar issues?

I have to say I've thoroughly checked mine as they are still in front of me and the finish is flawless, I'd question whether or not the flat edge should be curved but I'd already seen photos to know about that. That obviously doesn't mean that there won't be a couple that could fall through the net not 100% and I am sure Antreas would happily address the error for you. Would you like me to raise it with him? It's no hassle.

And ouch you really got stung for shipping! It must be country specific as this hasn't happened to me or anyone else as far as I know.

My apologies your experience wasn't quite as expected.

rockstar93

Post by rockstar93 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:12 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:56 pm Hey buddy,

I'm sorry to hear there are a few issues with yours, I'd be interested to know if anybody else has any similar issues?

I have to say I've thoroughly checked mine as they are still in front of me and the finish is flawless, I'd question whether or not the flat edge should be curved but I'd already seen photos to know about that. That obviously doesn't mean that there won't be a couple that could fall through the net not 100% and I am sure Antreas would happily address the error for you. Would you like me to raise it with him? It's no hassle.

And ouch you really got stung for shipping! It must be country specific as this hasn't happened to me or anyone else as far as I know.

While it may be beneficial for him to know one of 'not-perfect quality' slipped through, I don't believe it's worth the effort to address further as like I mentioned, I'm probably the only one who will notice it. Hopefully the driver's side turns out better because then I may not even see it too often haha.

And yeah, in the week in transit it switch hands from Cyprus Post, to the United States Postal Service, to Canada Post, then to me. So somewhere along the lines it picked up and extra charge. Would have happened group buy or no group buy (and I was planning on buying these skirts anyway) so I'm still up.

Anyways, I don't want to seem negative as I'm still satisfied and excited to get these on. Thank you again for all your work to put this together!
Instagram

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:31 pm

rockstar93 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:12 pm
thanatu55 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:56 pm Hey buddy,

While it may be beneficial for him to know one of 'not-perfect quality' slipped through, I don't believe it's worth the effort to address further as like I mentioned, I'm probably the only one who will notice it. Hopefully the driver's side turns out better because then I may not even see it too often haha.

And yeah, in the week in transit it switch hands from Cyprus Post, to the United States Postal Service, to Canada Post, then to me. So somewhere along the lines it picked up and extra charge. Would have happened group buy or no group buy (and I was planning on buying these skirts anyway) so I'm still up.

Anyways, I don't want to seem negative as I'm still satisfied and excited to get these on. Thank you again for all your work to put this together!
No problem, thanks for the feedback! :)

I'll mention it to him anyway it's more constructive than it is negative and I appreciate the honesty.

You'll have to post some pics of them fitted! I'm surprised nobody has yet haha :thumbsup:

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:26 pm

rockstar93 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:42 am Still looking forward to having them on. Just installed my APR Performance front splitter last week and this will complement it VERY well. Timing was perfect.
Interesting!!!

I also have the APR front splitter to fit at the same time! Do you have any photos and advice on fitting etc?

I agree they should compliment each other perfectly!

rockstar93

Post by rockstar93 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Very easy fit, took a bit over 2 hours and was taking my time.

1) Jacked the car up, one side at a time and put a ramp under the front wheel, so I had full access on the sides
2) Thoroughly cleaned the underside of the skirt with isopropyl alcohol (and the CF skirt as well)
3) Ran 3M automotive mounting tape along the edge of the skirt on the car (full length)
4) Using tape I marked where I planned to drill for the self-tapping screws (8 per side as recommended)
5) With the help of another pair of hands, attach the CF skirts via the 3M tape. Be careful as there's quite a bit of flex in the CF so if not supported I'd be afraid of it cracking
- After test fitting, I decided against rounding the back edge off as I liked how it looked ending with the skirt, and it's how my APR splitter ends
- I squared up the back corner of the CF with the corner of the skirt on the car, and the inside edge of the front of the CF with a character line in the fender liner (difficult to explain, but you should notice it when you look at the fender liner)
6) Now that the CF skirt is mounted, I drilled the holes through the CF and side skirt at the locations I marked in step 4.
7) Self-tapping screws in each of the drilled holes

Overall happy with the look. Install was simple and resulted in a sturdy mount - I have no qualms about taking these on track or on our pothole-filled roads. I have them mounted pretty aggressively, so if one isn't paying attention getting out it is possible to catch your foot on it - but I really don't imagine this to be a huge issue (and I rarely have passengers, if I do they're extremely careful around my car because they know how anal I am).

As mentioned, I don't feel like the rear edge needs to be re-shaped or rounded, but I'm thinking of doing this to the front to make it a more gradual curve, still undecided though. I also chose to cut off the rubber flaps in front of the rear wheels thinking I'd rather remove those than cut away the CF, but now I'm regretting this as I've realized I should (and will) be trimming the CF there anyway as it's visible through the wheel well and kind of unsightly IMHO. This is all to your individual tastes though and not a big deal.

What is a bigger deal and slightly disappointing, is that it seems my driver's side CF skirt is shorter than the passenger's, and both are slightly too short for the vehicle to go edge-to-edge. I chose to make it short at the front edge because of the radius, hoping it will be less noticeable, but it is definitely not ideal. Along with the flaws in the carbon itself, it's a bit disappointing but as I mentioned before I'm probably the only one who will notice them.

Excuse the poor picture quality and lighting, the car is still in the garage and unclean ahead of my show. I should have some much nicer, outdoor shots in the next couple days.
Attachments
20170930_100116.jpg
20170930_100116.jpg (140.97 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
20170930_101245.jpg
20170930_101245.jpg (135.81 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
20170930_103859.jpg
20170930_103859.jpg (150.36 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
20170930_114743.jpg
20170930_114743.jpg (153.06 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
20170930_104548.jpg
20170930_104548.jpg (140.98 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
20170930_104530.jpg
20170930_104530.jpg (150.99 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
20170930_114732.jpg
20170930_114732.jpg (106.13 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
20170930_104513.jpg
20170930_104513.jpg (142.8 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
20170930_104557.jpg
20170930_104557.jpg (138.58 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
Instagram

rockstar93

Post by rockstar93 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:15 pm

JINGLE wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:26 pm
rockstar93 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:42 am Still looking forward to having them on. Just installed my APR Performance front splitter last week and this will complement it VERY well. Timing was perfect.
Interesting!!!

I also have the APR front splitter to fit at the same time! Do you have any photos and advice on fitting etc?

Unfortunately I didn't think to take pictures during the install, and haven't had much of a chance to take pictures of the finished product, but installation was a breeze and the turnout was awesome! Super satisfied in the look - curious to see how much of a difference it makes on track although it isn't as aggressive as I expected so I don't imagine a massive difference.

To install, I took the bumper off (10 minute job) and fitted the splitter to the bumper off the car, and mounted them on the car as one piece. Didn't mount the splitter to the chassis, but it's sturdy enough that it shouldn't be an issue. Used 7 bolts w/ lock nuts, 2 per 'fang' and 3 in the middle section. All used factory holes which was nice. Still on the fence about using the support rods, but leaning towards not using them as I like the look as it.

Edit: forgot to mention, the direction of the weave on the AGT side skirts matches the APR splitter :D. Unfortunately it's opposite of the OE spoiler lol.
Instagram

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:50 pm

rockstar93 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:09 pmVery easy fit, took a bit over 2 hours and was taking my time.
First one to get them on well done! And something to follow when I do mine :)

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:11 am

rockstar93 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:15 pm
JINGLE wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:26 pm
Interesting!!!

Unfortunately I didn't think to take pictures during the install, and haven't had much of a chance to take pictures of the finished product, but installation was a breeze and the turnout was awesome! Super satisfied in the look - curious to see how much of a difference it makes on track although it isn't as aggressive as I expected so I don't imagine a massive difference.

To install, I took the bumper off (10 minute job) and fitted the splitter to the bumper off the car, and mounted them on the car as one piece. Didn't mount the splitter to the chassis, but it's sturdy enough that it shouldn't be an issue. Used 7 bolts w/ lock nuts, 2 per 'fang' and 3 in the middle section. All used factory holes which was nice. Still on the fence about using the support rods, but leaning towards not using them as I like the look as it.

Edit: forgot to mention, the direction of the weave on the AGT side skirts matches the APR splitter :D. Unfortunately it's opposite of the OE spoiler lol.
Skirts look great! I was also wondering about the back edges near the rubber splash guards.... I will modify my skirts rather than the guard, thanks for the heads up :)

I will also check the lengths to see if they are the same or if you just got very unlucky :(

I had my splitter out today giving it a good clean and pulled the protective edge off (it's a 2nd hand splitter) new edge protector on order. Mine already has holes for the splitter rods so I will be fitting those, interesting you say you think it wouldnt need anymore fixings at the back, and is sterdy enough by itself... I wasn't looking forward to doing all the extra mounting to the back modified undertray?! Should be fitted next weekend hopefully! Also got some of that tape ordered to help mount the skirts!!!

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:55 am

What length screws are you guys using? Photos above look great :thumbsup:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

rockstar93

Post by rockstar93 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:01 am

JINGLE wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:11 am I had my splitter out today giving it a good clean and pulled the protective edge off (it's a 2nd hand splitter) new edge protector on order. Mine already has holes for the splitter rods so I will be fitting those, interesting you say you think it wouldnt need anymore fixings at the back, and is sterdy enough by itself... I wasn't looking forward to doing all the extra mounting to the back modified undertray?! Should be fitted next weekend hopefully! Also got some of that tape ordered to help mount the skirts!!!
I bought mine used as well, and with the exception of one small scuff the edging is in good shape - though I anticipate it won't stay that way forever. Did you order yours direct from APR or find the edging somewhere else?

And I do believe it is quite sturdy attached only to the bumper by the 7 bolts. From the reading I've done, having the support rods mounted at the back also gives you the ability to fine tune/tweak the angle of the splitter. Would be nice to have and I may potentially do that long term. Short term my priority is to fabricate something to fill in the gap between the fangs, similar to what Intgr8r had done over on Zpost.

The tape will do wonders for helping to mount the skirts! I do believe it would be enough to hold them on for regular driving use (if you doubled up on the tape instead of the one strip I did), but for my peace of mind I also used the screws. My first time using the tape in such a large application and I was extremely pleased at how thin it was, and how easy it was to use. Would stretch just enough to create smooth curves without introducing air bubbles or pockets.
Silverzedtom wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:55 am What length screws are you guys using? Photos above look great :thumbsup:
My screws were 5/8" in length which I feel was ideal.
Instagram

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:00 am

Looks great rockstar93. Any chance of some photographs of the entire car front and rear viewed from slightly further away to give the full effect :thumbsup:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:14 pm

rockstar93 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:01 am

I bought mine used as well, and with the exception of one small scuff the edging is in good shape - though I anticipate it won't stay that way forever. Did you order yours direct from APR or find the edging somewhere else?

And I do believe it is quite sturdy attached only to the bumper by the 7 bolts. From the reading I've done, having the support rods mounted at the back also gives you the ability to fine tune/tweak the angle of the splitter. Would be nice to have and I may potentially do that long term. Short term my priority is to fabricate something to fill in the gap between the fangs, similar to what Intgr8r had done over on Zpost.

The tape will do wonders for helping to mount the skirts! I do believe it would be enough to hold them on for regular driving use (if you doubled up on the tape instead of the one strip I did), but for my peace of mind I also used the screws. My first time using the tape in such a large application and I was extremely pleased at how thin it was, and how easy it was to use.
I've just ordered a couple of different edge protectors off eBay and going to see which looks best. I did email APR direct and they offered the APR edge protector but it was like $17 for the part, and $30 for postage so I wasn't about to pay nearly $50 for something I can get off Ebay for under a fiver lol. Will update with the quality and how well it fits from both the parts when they arrive and post the Ebay link (it would be worth you ordering some, ready for when/if the splitter or skirts get caught)

What thickness 3M tape did you use? Looks about 25mm or 30mm?

Also for the splitter, did you use any spacers for i between the fangs? That's something I'm still trying to source?! (Again, APR wanted $53 for the accessory pack so I'm trying to find it elsewhere?!)