Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Every driver needs to know this...

Sponsored by Chris Knott Insurance
ChrisKnottIns

Post by ChrisKnottIns » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:56 pm

My MD was telling me about a minor car accident he had recently.

Ever since, he's been plagued by calls from firms asking him if he was injured. When he says “No” he's asked if he's sure he wasn’t injured. Again he says “No, I wasn’t injured”. So he's then asked “Was there anyone else in the vehicle who might have been injured”.

He has two objections to this. Firstly, he objects to being encouraged to make a claim for injury that clearly isn’t warranted and, secondly, he wonders from where they got his personal details.

Recent law changes arising from something called The Jackson Review aimed to stamp out such ‘ambulance-chasing’ practices, particularly by banning the referral fees offered by law firms.

NO WIN NO FEE
These sort of 'No Win No Fee' arrangements mean that if you don’t win your case there is no charge levied by the law firm/accident management firm for their services. It has always been worth a punt even if there wasn’t much chance of success. However, many won’t appreciate the sting in the tail - the flip-side of the coin where if you win, there's a possibility a fee will be charged and it could be as much as 25% of your compensation award.

This kind of approach is known as After The Event (ATE) cover, where assistance is offered or solicited following an accident/injury. Since the reforms, if there’s not much chance of success these providers tend to back away quite quickly rather than fight your corner and get you what you might deserve, leaving you on your own.

LEGAL EXPENSES COVER
A better alternative to 'No Win No Fee' is something known as Before The Event (BTE) cover. Usually called Legal Expenses cover, this is arranged in advance (to run alongside your motor insurance). Chris Knott Insurance offers this protection which is designed to pay your legal costs & expenses to pursue a claim. We have taken care to additionally ensure that our Legal Expenses offering guarantees that there will be NO deduction at all for costs from any compensation award.

I thought it might be useful to see these two very different approaches operating in stark monetary terms. So here goes…

If using a 'No Win No Fee' type firm (ATE) an injury award of just £8,000 could see a fee of 25% (£2,000) being payable for success, reducing your payout to £6,000.

In comparison, that £2,000 would buy you 80 years’ worth of BTE cover with Chris Knott Insurance (charged at £25 for the year) and you’d get to keep 100% of your award.

For the best service and to guarantee you keep 100% of your injury award it really does make sound financial sense to arrange cover in advance, just in case.

To add (BTE) Legal Expenses Cover to your Chris Knott policy at the next renewal please call 0800 917 2274 or 01424 200477.

PLEASE BE ASSURED TOO THAT WE NEVER PASS ON ANY DETAILS TO ANYONE FOR THE PURPOSES OF PESTERING CUSTOMERS TO CLAIM FOR INJURIES. We only share data as necessary to directly service your cover and to process any claims you instigate.

best,
Nick

PS. Don't forget to call us if your car insurance is due in the coming months as we have prizes available until the end of the year. Details of this month's prize draw have previously been posted to the site.
Chris Knott Insurance - 0800 917 2274 (or 01424 200477)
Club code: Z4-866
LIKE us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Every driver needs to know this...

Post by StevenH72 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:30 pm

Do you insist on using a particular firm of solicitors? And what is the limit of the cover?
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

ChrisKnottIns

Post by ChrisKnottIns » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:20 pm

Our legal expenses cover is offered by a specific firm and provides £100k I think. I'm not in the office this week so can't check.

Talksthetorque

Post by Talksthetorque » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:33 am

CKI wrote:In comparison, that £2,000 would buy you 80 years’ worth of BTE cover with Chris Knott Insurance (charged at £25 for the year) .
Are you guaranteeing a price freeze for 80 years on this product? :?

It's good to know that the MD of an insurance company gets these sh***y calls too. :evil:

ChrisKnottIns

Post by ChrisKnottIns » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:48 am

80 years at current prices :)

DR-Z

Post by DR-Z » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:35 pm

Note that most insurers (in my experience) offer legal protection cover at a small extra cost.

I share the distaste for the pressure (by some) to claim for whiplash. Had it myself last year when I was rear-shunted, but even when I said I wasn't injured my insurer (or whoever they appointed) was urging me to think about claiming for injury. I can see why many people see this as an easy way of making a few grand. :headbang:
Z4 28i (E89 2014) - mineral grey
530d (F11)
Previous (most recent first)
BMWs: 330D, Z4 2.5si (2007), 535D; Marlin Sportster (M3 engine, self-build); 330D Coupe; 123D coupe; 520i; 523i.
Also: Audi A6 2.7tdi; Audi TT 225; Audi 100 avant; Porsche 944S

Kurik

Post by Kurik » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:30 am

I do not want to deal with the insurance company, because it means that I and my car is safe.

samsung galaxy tab s 4 8.0 hülle
Last edited by Kurik on Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:34 am

Even weirder when you get the calls stating that you had an accident, and when you say you didn't, they start to argue that you did as they have it on their records.

Where do they get all this nonsense from?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Finisterre

Post by Finisterre » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:22 am

I thought legal expenses cover was there to sue your insurance company when it makes derisory offers on much loved and ludicrously undervalued written off and still working quite well thank you motors.
E85 2.0. + E39 530i touring.