Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car Insurance - Just taking the p**s!!

Sponsored by Chris Knott Insurance
speedy239

Car Insurance - Just taking the p**s!!

Post by speedy239 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:37 pm

When I started looking at buying the Z4M I rang my insurance company late Feb and gave them the details of the car that I eventually bought.

I was told that to transfer from the Vx220 to the M would be just a £25 admin fee. Insurance has just over 3 months to run. :thumbsup: :)

Rang today to transfer only to be told that my current insurer had changed the goalposts and now wanted multi hundreds of pounds to change the vehicle details.

Apparently the only option I have is to take out a new policy and get a refund on the existing one. Plus I effectively loose a years no claims.

The refund was £70 if I took out a new policy and £30.00 if I cancelled and went somewhere else!!! Totally unimpressed!!!! :headbang:

The quote for the new policy was £70 more than other quotes I had and with a greater excess level. They even put a price hike on it as I said I would like to use it for the odd trip to work when the sun is out in the summer. Apparently a far bigger risk for about 200 miles a year!!! :rofl:

So its back to the drawing board for new quotes with less than expected NCD.

Any recommendation for companies that can offer good prices with a guaranteed value as the retail prices of these cars is far higher than the parker guide prices by up to circa £3-4K and don't want the argument in the event of a write off

Classic line was expensive. Best prices are currently Esure and SAGA!!!

Wife and Daughter think the fact that SAGA want my business is fantastic. How to be made to feel old in one easy move :thumbsdown:

Depressing!!!!
Current - Z4MR Blue ~Fully Loaded
Current - BMW 5 Series M Sport

Previous - VX220 Turbo :cry:

srhutch

Re: Car Insurance - Just taking the p**s!!

Post by srhutch » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:48 pm

Worth saying who your with now otherwise you know who will get recommended.

speedy239

Post by speedy239 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:05 am

srhutch wrote:Worth saying who your with now otherwise you know who will get recommended.
It's through Adrian Flux - not sure which actual Insurance company

Confused®

Post by Confused® » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:37 am

Been on news tonight that car insurance is on the rise after 2 years, I also know for a fact its cheaper to tell them its parked on the street rather than a garage or private drive. and office car park away from home. my son recently got quoted from confused.com and in a couple of cases it was cheaper with 3 years ncd than 4, figure that.

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:07 am

Adrian flux always does antics like that... They are arseholes..

I have always insured my last 10 performance cars with esure.. Never had a problem, had one accident in that time ( non fault) and it was handled well..

My M currently costs £233 with PNC and £250 excess .

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:24 pm

I was with Flux before and they were pants
So i binned my policy with Flux and moved to Admiral
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:15 pm

I was with Admiral and am now with Chris Knott. I would have stayed with Admiral as the transfer to Chris Knott was an absolute ball ache, but Admiral only offered me a "loyalty discount" after I asked for my proof of NCB to take to Chris Knott. I was apparently, more loyal 30 seconds after they had offered me my renewal price. Also, despite being 34, with 12 years NCB, TVR's, Lotuses and a host or performance cars on my driving history, I still had to add my mum (who doesn't live with me) to the policy to get them to take me on??

God knows how car insurance works? I have visions of some sort of tombola raffle style bin in each office.

People at Chris Knott are really nice and helpful. Just don't take the Silver Knight Breakdown cover. Worst service ever! Turned up with the wrong recovery vehicle, told me that I was no longer covered until I fixed the car myself (I'm pretty sure that's what I paid breakdown cover for) and that I had exhausted my recovery options for that breakdown as I didn't want the car towed anywhere (I was at home).

I called the RAC out and the guy arrived in 30 min and got me going. If I hadn't been moving house I would have pushed for my money back.
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:31 pm

Wildfire wrote:I was with Admiral and am now with Chris Knott. I would have stayed with Admiral as the transfer to Chris Knott was an absolute ball ache, but Admiral only offered me a "loyalty discount" after I asked for my proof of NCB to take to Chris Knott. I was apparently, more loyal 30 seconds after they had offered me my renewal price. Also, despite being 34, with 12 years NCB, TVR's, Lotuses and a host or performance cars on my driving history, I still had to add my mum (who doesn't live with me) to the policy to get them to take me on??

God knows how car insurance works? I have visions of some sort of tombola raffle style bin in each office.

People at Chris Knott are really nice and helpful. Just don't take the Silver Knight Breakdown cover. Worst service ever! Turned up with the wrong recovery vehicle, told me that I was no longer covered until I fixed the car myself (I'm pretty sure that's what I paid breakdown cover for) and that I had exhausted my recovery options for that breakdown as I didn't want the car towed anywhere (I was at home).

I called the RAC out and the guy arrived in 30 min and got me going. If I hadn't been moving house I would have pushed for my money back.
The folk at Chris Knot are great, I have had a policy with them myself for 2 years now. But as wildfire has said steer clear of Silver Knight Breakown, I also wasn't impressed bythe service Silver Knight offered, so decided not to renew the breakdown cover last year, but opted to return to using GEM Motoring Assist who I have used previously :D :thumbsup:
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

Havard

Post by Havard » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:47 pm

speedy239 wrote:
srhutch wrote:Worth saying who your with now otherwise you know who will get recommended.
It's through Adrian Flux - not sure which actual Insurance company
I initially gave Adrian Flux the go ahead before I picked up my M. In the day or two before I viewed the car; I read the policy documents. I found that the girl on the phone had not only been a bit pushy, she had aslo lied about the pro rate charges for cancelling the policy. I rang them and cancelled the policy on that basis.

Went with A-plan in the end. They were £20 more but were excellent in their service and consistent.

H.
ImageImage

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:49 pm

I've been with Flux before who were fine, as with Greenlight, who I would have liked to go with again but for the fact they don't insure bmw....! I'm now with Chris Knott, as of 2 days ago, and am very happy both with the price and the customer service so far.
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

speedy239

Post by speedy239 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:48 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote:Adrian flux always does antics like that... They are arseholes..

I have always insured my last 10 performance cars with esure.. Never had a problem, had one accident in that time ( non fault) and it was handled well..

My M currently costs £233 with PNC and £250 excess .
Sounds a good price. My esure quote was £40 more with double the excess.

Must be a postcode thing. :headbang:

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:50 pm

Ooosh.

You cant be far away either...Im right on the fringe of South Yorkshire.

speedy239

Post by speedy239 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Will try Chris Knott on Tuesday and will update thread

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:05 pm

JFYI... I tried Chris Knott and they said i was in a high risk postcode..

The 5 streets in our village must be a hub of crime!... :rofl:

speedy239

Post by speedy239 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:39 pm

Got an email today from More Than telling me how competitive they are. :thumbsup:

I thought I would give it a go and get a quote

And guess what - they were MORE THAN just about everybody else. :headbang:

£562 - happy days (not). Total joke

I'm looking for 'divine intervention' from Chris Knott tomorrow :rofl: Let's see - :thumbsup: or :thumbsdown: