Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Any Experience of 1st Central?

Sponsored by Chris Knott Insurance
strugglinauthor

Any Experience of 1st Central?

Post by strugglinauthor » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:51 pm

My insurance is looming and having checked a comparison site a company called 1st Central came out as the cheapest. When you add in the fact that their compulsory excess is also significantly lower than any of their rivals then it is tempting.

Having looked at some review sites people seem to like them. Although there are plenty of gripes, it's no more than I'm seeing for other major insurers. My only concern is what are they going to be like when the dreaded day comes to make a claim?

Does anyone out there have any real world experience, good or bad?

Thx.

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Any Experience of 1st Central?

Post by RickRob » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:24 am

Never heard of them. Don't fall into the trap of saving the cost of a tank of petrol and then potentially having a lot of grief in the event of a claim. If it looks too good to be true.........
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:17 am

I have used them in the past without any problems including when I had an accident last year (someone drove into the front of me whilst I was stationary).
They were very good on the phone at the time and pretty much sorted things out with the other insurance company straight away, they use an accident management company for claims but I did not have to go through them as the initial contact at 1st Central managed to get the other party to admit full liability within a couple of hours.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:57 am

Don't do it. Have a search - there was quite a long thread on this lot earlier this year, definitely not the sort of company you want your car insured with.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

ChrisKnottIns

Post by ChrisKnottIns » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:42 am

You can still get low rates and benefit from the service you need. Try a forum sponsor or two and you might be surprised.
Chris Knott Insurance - 0800 917 2274 (or 01424 200477)
Club code: Z4-866
LIKE us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:35 am

I insure my S2000 through First Central. They were fine to deal with when setting up the policy and subsequently changing to a personal registration. However, I have read a fair amount about them being less helpful when people claim.
My Zed is insured through Adrian Flux as the policy has been tailored to cover all my modifications. Importantly, AF will replace my modifications like-for-like in the event of a claim whilst some High Street companies restore vehicles only to stock specification and may use pattern parts.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

85genius

Post by 85genius » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:26 am

I have to recommend them was with them for 3 years I think...

I had a total loss whilst with first central, their first offer was crap, but then with a little negotiation they paid out what I wanted and let me buy back the car for next to nothing, which I repaired cheaply and was therefore quids in! And they were even cheaper the following year even with the claim, I was very happy with them and would have stuck with them had tesco not been £300 cheaper this time round
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

strugglinauthor

Post by strugglinauthor » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:26 pm

Thanks for the input - the good and the bad. Just need to make an executive decision now...

LeeZ4MR
Lifer
Lifer

Post by LeeZ4MR » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:59 pm

I was with them when I had my TVR/Z4M/M3 and I thought they were fine but I never made a claim in that period, I only swapped because they wanted to charge me only £5 less than my M3 when I swapped for the 330i whereas with other companies the 330i was half the price to insure than the M3.
Current...BMW F82 M4 Coupe 2018
370Z Roadster 2011
Merc GLE400d 2022
Caterham 7 2002

Previous...
640d 2012
330i 2006
Z4MR 2006
E92 M3 2009
X5 4.8iS 2004
TVR Cerbera 4.5

strugglinauthor

Post by strugglinauthor » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:43 pm

After all that I decided to go with John Lewis. I read a survey on how customers rated their insurer and JL came out very well. The price was competitive and the icing on the cake is that they give you a 15% discount for the first year and free recovery (for when my BMW one expires) :)