Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

No Claims Discount query

Sponsored by Chris Knott Insurance
robbee

No Claims Discount query

Post by robbee » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:40 pm

Apologies in advance for my rant, but I think its important fellow members are made aware of demanding the total earned no claims discount at the end of each year.

When the time comes to renewing your yearly premium, if you've been claim free for more than 9 years, many insurers state your No Claims Discount as "9+" years on the renewal notice even when you actually have more years claim free. When you obtain online quotes, you can select up to 20+ years from 'Moneysupermarket.com, Compare the Market and Go-compare', and 15+ years from 'confused.com'.

I changed to Chris Knot 2 years ago, and towards the end of the first year, my renewal said 9+ years NCD. I called to say this should now be 13 years and told to send the proof, which I did before the renewal date. I just received my second years renewal with Chris Knot which again says 9+ years NCD. I called again, and after several conversations, was told they would only request 12 years total (10yrs from before plus 2 years earned with them) from the underwriters, AND the request could only be confirmed with underwriter 'after' the policy had lapsed. I said I already had 12 years, plus the 2 with them, should now be 14 years - at very least 13 years since I sent the 12 years confirmation last year before the renewal date, but still they insist 12 years total.

They kept asking me why I wanted the total since 9 years is the maximum you can earn, even when I said the comparison websites allow you to select up to 20 years. I was told to get quotes to see if 20 years makes any difference. I tried, and they were correct, the best quotes were the same, but that might just be for my circumstances.

So why do the comparison website give you the option for up to 20 years NCD if it makes no difference above 9 years?

Should I not have the right to ask for written confirmation of the total number of years I have been driving claim free?

I just think Chris Knot should correct this error which they seem reluctant to do. They weren't the cheapest these last two years though I thought I would try them as they seem to have a good review on here. I will be reverting to taking out the best online quote each year, which this year was £80 cheaper than Chris Knott renewal of £491.

With premiums ever increasing, any reduction makes a difference. Does anyone have experience obtaining better discounts with more than 9 years NCD?

Again, apologies for my long rant, but I have actually been driving for 27 years and never made a claim, yet my premium goes up every year.

Robbee

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Chris Knot, 'knot' honouring earned No Claims Discount

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:27 pm

I personally think CK should do one! I call them every year (not this year I was to busy) but I do call them for a joke and a giggle and a laugh most years!

You jump through the hoops and then they quote more than most main stream places!! Surly CK are just robbing, piss taking, b......s just my opinion from my experience!!

Please contact me CK with a decent quote 35 year old male. No points 3.0l z4 5 years RWD exsperiance. Lives in the Cotswolds car parked on a drive off the road! Driven 6k a year tops. Home owner married with a child!!!

I can see the response huge premium due to area,lack of exsperiance,mileage and age!!

As you can see I am not a fan lol
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

ChrisKnottIns

Post by ChrisKnottIns » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:48 am

Machine monkey, we're brokers so it's not our rates we're ever quoting. Your beef should be with the insurers themselves who aren't offering quotes closer to your alternative quotes. And how are we robbing you if you don't take up the quote?

Are you serious about a quote? If so please supply a phone number so we can take full details.
Chris Knott Insurance - 0800 917 2274 (or 01424 200477)
Club code: Z4-866
LIKE us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter

ChrisKnottIns

Post by ChrisKnottIns » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:58 am

robbee wrote:Apologies in advance for my rant, but I think its important fellow members are made aware of demanding the total earned no claims discount at the end of each year.

When the time comes to renewing your yearly premium, if you've been claim free for more than 9 years, many insurers state your No Claims Discount as "9+" years on the renewal notice even when you actually have more years claim free. When you obtain online quotes, you can select up to 20+ years from 'Moneysupermarket.com, Compare the Market and Go-compare', and 15+ years from 'confused.com'.

I changed to Chris Knot 2 years ago, and towards the end of the first year, my renewal said 9+ years NCD. I called to say this should now be 13 years and told to send the proof, which I did before the renewal date. I just received my second years renewal with Chris Knot which again says 9+ years NCD. I called again, and after several conversations, was told they would only request 12 years total (10yrs from before plus 2 years earned with them) from the underwriters, AND the request could only be confirmed with underwriter 'after' the policy had lapsed. I said I already had 12 years, plus the 2 with them, should now be 14 years - at very least 13 years since I sent the 12 years confirmation last year before the renewal date, but still they insist 12 years total.

They kept asking me why I wanted the total since 9 years is the maximum you can earn, even when I said the comparison websites allow you to select up to 20 years. I was told to get quotes to see if 20 years makes any difference. I tried, and they were correct, the best quotes were the same, but that might just be for my circumstances.

So why do the comparison website give you the option for up to 20 years NCD if it makes no difference above 9 years?

Should I not have the right to ask for written confirmation of the total number of years I have been driving claim free?

I just think Chris Knot should correct this error which they seem reluctant to do. They weren't the cheapest these last two years though I thought I would try them as they seem to have a good review on here. I will be reverting to taking out the best online quote each year, which this year was £80 cheaper than Chris Knott renewal of £491.

With premiums ever increasing, any reduction makes a difference. Does anyone have experience obtaining better discounts with more than 9 years NCD?

Again, apologies for my long rant, but I have actually been driving for 27 years and never made a claim, yet my premium goes up every year.

Robbee
Hi,

You'll find that this is not a Chris Knott issue, it's the same across the board:- 9+ years is generally the maximum bonus (for some insurers it's 5 years) as the discount doesn't change thereafter. You get all the % discounts in the period up to the 9 years.

So whether you have 9 years or 99 years claims-free driving you can't get more than the maximum bonus (65-70%) you attained at 9 years.

I don't know why comparison websites give you the options up to 20 years but perhaps it's to cause confusion and make you think they're offering something special that you can't get elsewhere or one of their insurers offers a 20 year scale - I don't know. If the maximum discount is spread over a higher number of years each year's % increase in discount would be smaller of course.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:05 am

ChrisKnottIns wrote:If the maximum discount is spread over a higher number of years each year's % increase in discount would be smaller of course.

And of course, in the event of a claim, the "step-back" % would be smaller too? NOT.

TBH, as CK stated, once you get to "max" at 6/7 years, anything else is just a number. I think CK is right, and that the comparison websites are trying to lull peeps into thinking they are getting more of a discount if they enter 9+ years, when in fact, they won't be, but it then gets people thinking, and asking "Why?" as per the OP...

And yes, I have spent time as both an underwriter, and a branch manager for a large muti-insurer.

Mike

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:40 am

To provide some defence of CK, I have been with them for a few years now and they have always matched or bettered any alternative quote I have presented them with when it comes to renewal time.

That said, it annoys me that they are a broker, apparently working to get me the best deal, but in fact every year I have to do all the leg work to prove that I could leave for a cheaper insurer. Surely a better business model would be to proactively look for the best quote for your customers, save them the effort, and as a result earn loyalty in a marketplace that historically encourages none at all... after all, it's cheaper to keep customers than find new ones.

Anyhow, I've not had to claim yet fortunately, but my experience of CK has been more positive than anything else.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:59 am

Bing wrote:To provide some defence of CK, I have been with them for a few years now and they have always matched or bettered any alternative quote I have presented them with when it comes to renewal time.

That said, it annoys me that they are a broker, apparently working to get me the best deal, but in fact every year I have to do all the leg work to prove that I could leave for a cheaper insurer. Surely a better business model would be to proactively look for the best quote for your customers, save them the effort, and as a result earn loyalty in a marketplace that historically encourages none at all... after all, it's cheaper to keep customers than find new ones.

Anyhow, I've not had to claim yet fortunately, but my experience of CK has been more positive than anything else.
Agree Bing, its the same as the energy providers, ive just left for a cheaper deal but when it came to closing my account they tried to bribe me back with better rates.
Why not quote the best price initially!!! :headbang:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ChrisKnottIns

Post by ChrisKnottIns » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:18 pm

Bing wrote:To provide some defence of CK, I have been with them for a few years now and they have always matched or bettered any alternative quote I have presented them with when it comes to renewal time.

No-one has access to the whole insurance market, indeed there are companies that don't even sell via brokers so it's possible there are quotes out there that we're not aware of. The bonus of using us is that we can negotiate with your insurer on your behalf if you've had a better quote than their invited renewal. So it's more about you giving us the ammo to get them to budge and encourage them to adjust if they want to keep you. We have a retention rate of about 80% so it's a method that does work to members' benefit.

85genius

Post by 85genius » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:30 pm

Bing wrote: That said, it annoys me that they are a broker, apparently working to get me the best deal, but in fact every year I have to do all the leg work to prove that I could leave for a cheaper insurer. Surely a better business model would be to proactively look for the best quote for your customers, save them the effort
Surely though the difference between the first quote they give you and the best quote they get when matching what you found online comes from their profit margin so it would be mad of them to give you the best possible price unless you force them
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:43 pm

85genius wrote:
Bing wrote: That said, it annoys me that they are a broker, apparently working to get me the best deal, but in fact every year I have to do all the leg work to prove that I could leave for a cheaper insurer. Surely a better business model would be to proactively look for the best quote for your customers, save them the effort
Surely though the difference between the first quote they give you and the best quote they get when matching what you found online comes from their profit margin so it would be mad of them to give you the best possible price unless you force them
Wholeheartedly agree. I have my (motor trade) policy direct with a Lloyd's broker, and they have consistently, year on year reduced my premium, to the point where it was £855 at renewal in June, not bad to cover 2 cars, 1 van, 1 motorbike AND any other vehicle in my possession or use, both for motor trade purposes, and in connection with the shops, and that's also for ANY driver over 25..

When renewing my RAC/AA a few weeks back, I had the same, it was £80 odd with RAC after "top cashback" of £60 last year, so I normally swap annually between RAC/AA and do the cashback thing. Sure enough, my renewal with RAC came in the post, just over £190, so I was about to hit the button with the AA, £177, minus £80 cashback, when I got a call from RAC to see why I hadn't renewed, as it was due that day. I told her straight, and without even "seeking approval" she agreed to slash the renewal to £79, saving over £110! When I asked her why they hadn't just offered me that price in the first place, she couldn't tell me.. Obviously some people will blindly renew.

Mike

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:40 pm

80% retention rate just means you have lazy customers who can't be bothered to shop around.

The whole car insurance market is a racket. I have two cars, on two separate insurance policies (because it's cheaper than multi-car for me). So I have to earn two separate no claims bonuses on each car - they aren't transferable on a non-multi-car policy. Yet if I have a claim, irrespective of which car it is in, I would lose NCD on both cars. How is that right?

Don't get me started on them flogging your details to accident management companies for commission presumably.

It's high time the Competition Commission were given real teeth to sort this cartel out once and for all.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:53 pm

original guvnor wrote:80% retention rate just means you have lazy customers who can't be bothered to shop around.
+1!

And..
original guvnor wrote:Don't get me started on them flogging your details to accident management companies for commission presumably.
Tell me about it, one of my employees was rear ended last week, after she had gotten off the phone to her insurers, just to "notify" them, not to make a claim, within SECONDS her phone started ringing, and it was a PUSHY "claims mgt co" offering her a hire car later that day etc. She politely refused, and then rang my solicitor friend to instruct, however, she was harassed to death by these guys who even sent forms for her to sign. They could ONLY have gotten her name/address from her insurers.

Mike

ChrisKnottIns

Post by ChrisKnottIns » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:43 pm

We only work with car club and forum members and I think you are probably some of the most informed insurance buyers in the UK. I don't for a second think clients in the enthusiast market are lazy when it comes to hunting out a good deal. Please also be assured that we do NOT pass on your details to ANYONE other than your insurer for the purposes of effecting your cover. So if your data ends up with an AMC it won't be down to us.

JAD

Post by JAD » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:21 pm

Just to chime in here with a levelling post...

CK had never come remotely close to any of my previous quotes on my cars, nor my fathers (range of fast Audis, Porkas, Astons), regardless of spotless licences and claims history.

This year, however, they beat both my quotes on the Zed by a decent amount and the "new starter" Golf I've bought for my fiancee. The quote was still high, but no NCB to use as it's on the Zed and a driver who hasn't held a policy for 9 years due to driving other cars meant it was always going to be.

So in summary, thanks to the guys for giving me at least another 6 months on the Zed before the wedding forces sale!

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:00 pm

If the insurers always gave out the best quote, then the average premium will rise. Those lazy people who blindly renew pay for those of us that search for the best price.
Remember insurance companies are in it to make money (they're not charities).
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup: