Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Returning to cars, from bikes

Sponsored by Chris Knott Insurance
Ted75

Post by Ted75 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:49 pm

Hi, I last held my own car policy about 5 years ago, which means the ten plus NCB I had earned has expired :cry:
I've been on big bikes for the last six years, and won't be stopping, I just fancied having a four wheeled option and am looking for an early Z4 roadster.

I was a little dissapointed when I called Chris Knott insurance to be told they would want to quote me over a thousand pounds, without even wanting my details. So I went on Go Compare and got a quote from Churchill for under £500 full comp, no voluntary excess, £4k car value based on a 55 plate 2.0i Z4 with 80k miles.

Not sure how this compares to others in similar boat, but it would have been nice to let the forum's preferred insurer know I am over 40, and hold full IAM membership for both car and bike!
2003 silver 3.0i :driving:

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:58 pm

I had this very situation 4 years ago, Max no claims on bikes and company car driver for 30 years.
Grove and Dean insurance brokers gave me equivalent to 5 years no claims discount even though you can't actually transfer bike no claims to cars..
I have stayed with them for the last 4 years and and have been given 9 years NCD which I think is max anyway.
just renewed @ £208 fully comp inc legal windscreen and breakdown cover.
I may be a little older than you though.
Worth giving them a ring :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:05 pm

Chris Knott seem to be a bit hit and miss IME.

Some members can't get a quote, others get a good deal!

They were great for my Z4 but were way too dear when my 325ti came up for renewal, and also when my house insurance was due.

Just a thought OP, but don't the IAM have an affiliation with a broker (used to be Turret Insurance back in the early 80s when I last worked in the personal insurance arena)?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Ted75

Post by Ted75 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:14 pm

Cheers for the tip Grumpyowl :thumbsup:

Ah, yes, Mr Tidy. IAM Insurance..... :rofl: Previous experience with bike quotes has not been rewarding, currently with Carole Nash. Maybe they do a car & bike policy? :)

Still, it's cheaper than the thought I had a few years ago to buy a ratty old heap to tax/mot and insure just to keep the old ncb going.
2003 silver 3.0i :driving:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:32 pm

Welcome to the board Ted :)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:44 pm

Ted75 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:14 pmAh, yes, Mr Tidy. IAM Insurance..... Previous experience with bike quotes has not been rewarding, currently with Carole Nash. Maybe they do a car & bike policy?

Still, it's cheaper than the thought I had a few years ago to buy a ratty old heap to tax/mot and insure just to keep the old ncb going.
I'm sure Carole Nash do car insurance as well - has to be worth a try. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ChrisKnottIns

Post by ChrisKnottIns » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:22 am

Ted75 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:49 pm Hi, I last held my own car policy about 5 years ago, which means the ten plus NCB I had earned has expired :cry:
I've been on big bikes for the last six years, and won't be stopping, I just fancied having a four wheeled option and am looking for an early Z4 roadster.

I was a little dissapointed when I called Chris Knott insurance to be told they would want to quote me over a thousand pounds, without even wanting my details.
We make it clear in our access criteria that all owners must have at least one year's usable NCB and have a year's experience of driving a car of equivalent power plus RWD. That's the reason we declined to quote under the club scheme on this occasion I'm afraid. Next year, when you have that, we should be perfect for you.
Chris Knott Insurance - 0800 917 2274 (or 01424 200477)
Club code: Z4-866
LIKE us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter