Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Non - RFT tyres

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
R.E92

Re: Non - RFT tyres

Post by R.E92 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:26 pm

Drove a new 320d on runflats and it wasn't terrible. But that was on 17" wheels and still had more road noise than normal tyres.

The skipping sensation that RFTs give when combined with big wheels and rough surfaces is quite scary.

andya1

Post by andya1 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:20 pm

I had run flats on my E85 and they were really bad and when I changed them it did transform the car but now I have an E89 on run flats and I know everyone says they are still awful but to me they feel absolutely fine I don't have an issue with them at all, I just don't notice any problems with them but the car handles well and drives well and feels totally different to how my E85 felt as they did make the car handle badly and felt very skittish bordering on scary!

techathy

Post by techathy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:41 pm

On my 1 series I started off thinking RFT tyres were fine, I then moved to non-RFT (winter) tyres. They were noticeably more comfortable & quieter, so I went for non-RFT summer tyres. When I sold the car back to a dealership I put the OE RFT tyres, they were so bad that I stopped the car to work out what was broken, also I was going round corners at 3/4 the speed & finding the car moving about.

here are my thoughts on 255/35R18 RFT v's 235/40R18 non-RFT winter tyres on the rear of my 35iS
Last edited by techathy on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: '09 Lotus Evora Launch Edition
Previous: '13 BMW 120dx, '15 BMW z4 35iS

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:44 pm

I had 17 inch with std rft tyres, they were awful so fitted Goodyears which seemed very good.
Then bought a set of 18 inch with std rft and they seem as good as the Goodyears so far and as quiet.

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:43 pm

KERMIT1970 wrote:Tim you made the right decision speccing the Mss. Even with adaptive suspension the rfts are junk :(
Iam still torturing myself with the Bridgestone's ! It's only £620 for the Michelins but it's the principle only done 4k miles :(

Hi Kermit

did you change the run flats ?? I have done 500 miles and thinking of changing them .. what a waste of a set of new tires and time
Born in Yorkshire ended up in Essex .. 35is Mel red now sold
Own 2 big cats (F type & XE S supercharged) looking for a z4 Hobby Car

z4 3.0i 03 - Z4 3.0i 04 - Z4 3.0i 05 - Z4 3.0i 03 - Z3M (s54) 03 Man - Z4M 06 - Z4M 06 - Z4M 07 -
Z4 35is 2014

Oakleyextreme

Post by Oakleyextreme » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:03 pm

Hi to all you NRF tyre drivers, may I ask what you carry for protection? No condom jokes please :tumbleweed:
Just wondering as I have thought about going to NRF tyres but unsure what's best to carry in case of a puncture

KERMIT1970

Post by KERMIT1970 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:18 pm

jamesbond wrote:
KERMIT1970 wrote:Tim you made the right decision speccing the Mss. Even with adaptive suspension the rfts are junk :(
Iam still torturing myself with the Bridgestone's ! It's only £620 for the Michelins but it's the principle only done 4k miles :(

Hi Kermit

did you change the run flats ?? I have done 500 miles and thinking of changing them .. what a waste of a set of new tires and time
No never changed them ! Yet :D played about with pressures not as bad with pressure dropped slightly.
Going to wait to the turn of the year. Will have scrubbed a bit more of the rears by then. :thumbsup:
I had the slime pump & sealant in the boot & AA card in my wallet :D
Cars: 2016 M4 vert YMB & X3m Comp. E30 325i Sport. Z3M

Gone
: 2014 z4 35is melbourne red & black leather
: 335d M sport Coupe Black with red leather
: z4 Coupe 3.0 si Red with Black Leather 18" CSL`s
: z3 2.2 sport

InvisibleName

Post by InvisibleName » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:21 am

Oakleyextreme wrote:Hi to all you NRF tyre drivers, may I ask what you carry for protection? No condom jokes please :tumbleweed:
Just wondering as I have thought about going to NRF tyres but unsure what's best to carry in case of a puncture
I use this: Slime Tyre Repair Set for Automobile Tyres with Dispenser

You can find it on Amazon
28i M Sport / auto / Mineral Grey - Walnut leather

Napastar

Post by Napastar » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:16 am

abeardo83 wrote:I know it's a bit of a waste-post, but i'm doing it anyway... :poke:
Have replaced the front RE050A RFT tyres for Michelin PSS non-RFT...

...what a massive difference non-RFT tyres makes!!!! It's turned the car from a bone shaker to a decent cruiser!! Can't wait until the rear RE050's wear out now!!!

If anyone else is in two minds about it.... DO IT!!
Managing motor claims for a large UK insurer I'd strongly advise you to notify your insurer as Run Flats cannot "blow out" and so present a slightly lower risk. As blow outs are now rare even with non run flats, most insurers wont have a problem with changing to non runflats but if you dont notify them, some insurers may decline an accident claim. If you havent changed all 4 to non runflats you will alomst certainly have problem from an insurance point of view if you have an accident claim, as BMW UK will refuse to sanction this as a safe modification ( I checked this when I changed mine on a 330d coupe).

At the end of the day its none of my business but thought you should be aware
E89 sDrive 20i Jet Black - Red Coral Leather

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:03 pm

InvisibleName wrote:
Oakleyextreme wrote:Hi to all you NRF tyre drivers, may I ask what you carry for protection? No condom jokes please :tumbleweed:

+1 On the Slime......would have to be a real Emergency before I used over a call to the RAC.
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

Oakleyextreme

Post by Oakleyextreme » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:04 pm

jimbo1958 wrote:
InvisibleName wrote:

+1 On the Slime......would have to be a real Emergency before I used over a call to the RAC.
Have you guys tried and tested the slime?
I used a can of tyre weld once when I got a puncher in my X5 and it worked for about 10 miles then started to go down, luckily I had a spare wheel in my garage, perlite call to my bro to pick up my spare lol and sorted.

InvisibleName

Post by InvisibleName » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:38 pm

I joined the merry band of non-RFTs today - Goodyear Eagle Asymmetrics all round. Got a nice long run this weekend, so looking forward to bedding them in. Had a chat with my insurance company & they were happy that they didn't come under the modification heading

InvisibleName

Post by InvisibleName » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:42 pm

Update - only been to work & back (10 miles each way) and can already notice a massive improvement!

alex

Post by alex » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Can you not sell on the Bridgestone's as part worns to get some money back?
Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better
35iS - Space grey, red leather and 19" 326Ms - now gone to a fellow forum member

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:11 pm

alex wrote:
Can you not sell on the Bridgestone's as part worns to get some money back?
I 'think' you knacker the outer band of the tyre that sits on the wheel rim on run flats taking them off Alex, but I'll stand corrected if wrong.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29