Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thoughts on Cracked 296 alloys please

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
shambolic

Post by shambolic » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:46 pm

I had both my rears replaced under warranty after 13 months. Had to push it a bit but they did it then they fitted the newer style 296 with bigger inner lip.
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:26 pm

jamie_z4 wrote:
Busterboo wrote:
best way to combat it is to fit non runflat tyres ...
What evidence is there that runflats crack wheels?

There is none. It's all made up
What's all made up?
Vidi, vici, veni

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:06 am

Busterboo wrote:
jamie_z4 wrote:
Busterboo wrote:
What evidence is there that runflats crack wheels?

There is none. It's all made up
What's all made up?
The runflat conspiracy that you're trying to uncover :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:58 am

No, Rob, I'm just hoping someone will produce some evidence of a relationship between hard tyres and cracked rims.

Not the "It's obvious", or the "Everybody knows", or the "There have been lots of posts about it" type ... or the "It's not rocket science" sort of science, but actual evidence.

A report from a test, for example.
Vidi, vici, veni

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:15 am

You seem to be the only one wanting 'evidence' so instead of demanding it from others why don't you produce some that says run flats DON'T cause cracking, then when you have found such evidence you can tell us all about it.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:27 am

john-e89 wrote:You seem to be the only one wanting 'evidence' so instead of demanding it from others why don't you produce some that says run flats DON'T cause cracking, then when you have found such evidence you can tell us all about it.
I don't know if run flats do or don't cause cracking, because I don't know if there's any evidence one way or the other.
Vidi, vici, veni

Burgy100

Post by Burgy100 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:09 am

It's not evidence or proof but a start

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/consume ... ed-up.html
E89 Silver 3.5is 2015 with a Heated Steering Wheel :driving:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:53 am

Busterboo wrote:No, Rob, I'm just hoping someone will produce some evidence of a relationship between hard tyres and cracked rims.

Not the "It's obvious", or the "Everybody knows", or the "There have been lots of posts about it" type ... or the "It's not rocket science" sort of science, but actual evidence.

Let's speed things along then mr B
As testing infinite wheel / tyre / pressure / road combinations is never going to happen 5 factors are possible reasons
( please shout up if you don't agree or have others to add )

Tyres not big enough profile ?
Tyres too hard sidewalls ?
Recommended tyre pressures too high ( happens on many other BMW models running less pressure so unlikely )
Alloys inferior construction ( happens with many other BMW OEM alloys made over 10year period so unlikely )
Potholes too big or wrong shape for wheels :oops:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:56 am

mr wilks wrote:
Busterboo wrote:No, Rob, I'm just hoping someone will produce some evidence of a relationship between hard tyres and cracked rims.

As testing infinite wheel / tyre / pressure / road combinations is never going to happen 5 factors are possible reasons

Recommended tyre pressures too high ( happens on many other BMW models running less pressure so unlikely )
Alloys inferior construction ( happens with many other BMW OEM alloys made over 10year period so unlikely )
You may have missed the all important driver misuse.
Although everybody who has had a cracked wheel says they have never hit a pothole hard, is this actually true though, not just for the owner but the previous owners.
There wont be many people who will come on here and shout about how they smacked a pothole doing 50 and cracked the wheel. and neither will they tell BMW that if they are trying to get wheels for free.
It can be very difficult to avoid every pothole on the road especially in the dark.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:36 am

mr wilks wrote:

Sounds like science to me.

And ... I hesitate to say this, because it's so obvious ... it also seems probable, as I'm sure it does to you, that any permutation from this combination of factors is responsible for rim cracks and not only run-flats.

Now, whilst this statement is hardly a revelation, it does raise the question, of course, of why these factors do not seem to do the same consistency of damage to other manufacturers' wheels?

So, for example, in your Porsche days, were cracked wheels a constant topic? I can't remember it being in mine.
Vidi, vici, veni

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:45 am

Burgy100 wrote:It's not evidence or proof but a start

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/consume ... ed-up.html
It's excellent. Thank you very much, indeed.

It also confirms one of my beliefs: "... because the low-profile tyres may have been slightly underinflated." :thumbsup:
Vidi, vici, veni

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:48 am

Do Porsche use runflat tyres?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:04 am

Smartbear wrote:Do Porsche use runflat tyres?
Rob
A good point, Rob. No.

But they do run their wheels on 36psi front and 44psi rear. :)
Vidi, vici, veni

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:59 am

On both previous Audi A6 Avant & current C Class estate both came with staggered tyre set up & both were running bigger stock profiles than similar Bmw models (225 45 18 & 245 40 18)
My son has had many performance VWs on 18s & 19s again running bigger tyre profiles either 4 x 235 35 or 4 x 225 40
Non of the above have ever been runflats so straight off you have increased chances of not splitting a rim by direct comparison to BMW models on runflats & smaller profiles . . That's how i read the situation but I'm only applying common sense & logic as apposed to scientific research
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:16 am

Nictrix wrote: You may have missed the all important driver misuse.
Although everybody who has had a cracked wheel says they have never hit a pothole hard, is this actually true though, not just for the owner but the previous owners.
There wont be many people who will come on here and shout about how they smacked a pothole doing 50 and cracked the wheel. and neither will they tell BMW that if they are trying to get wheels for free.
It can be very difficult to avoid every pothole on the road especially in the dark.
Makes sense.
We've all done it occasionally, thumped down a pot hole we hadn't seen. Unless you stick to the A roads its a f**king nightmare driving around Preston. I know all the problem roads now and haven't been caught out yet.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S