Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

35i / Is exhaust tip upgrade / replacement - job done

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:54 am

R.E92 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:36 am
mr wilks wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:18 pm
markplant wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:08 pm Absolute power corrupts absolutely
Not to mention that weighty DCT lump swinging around below deck deciding which gear to select :poke: :D
Although more involving and lighter, the manual is slower. I think you'd need an extra 50bhp in a manual to keep up with a DCT through the gears.
I've had autos , DSGs & manuals & I don't doubt that for a minute , I just like to hit john right where it hurts :D the gearbox :P
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:57 am

mr wilks wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:54 am
R.E92 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:36 am
mr wilks wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:18 pm

Not to mention that weighty DCT lump swinging around below deck deciding which gear to select :poke: :D
Although more involving and lighter, the manual is slower. I think you'd need an extra 50bhp in a manual to keep up with a DCT through the gears.
I've had autos , DSGs & manuals & I don't doubt that for a minute , I just like to hit john right where it hurts :D the gearbox :P
The DCT gearbox certainly hurts financially when you have to get it repaired :P

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:07 pm

mr wilks wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:18 pm This should be of interest to many 35i 35Is owners if like myself you look at the rear outlets with a sense of deflation & disappointment :o i know when i first started studying the whole 89 range a few years back i was always underwhelmed with the stock offerings for the flagship models :( no complaints on the tone though :evil:
So just 12 days into my twin turbo ownership the situation was addressed :oops:
The guy i used has recently set up on his own after 22 yrs working in the custom exhaust industry , couldn't fault him on any level & would happily recommend him ( he also does centre box deletes ( 4 cyl 89s only ) along with decat pipes & full custom build exhaust systems . I simply had the oe tips cut off & larger more purposeful ends welded on .
Based in Darwen Lancs works 6 days a week , cost was just £90 all in :wink: :thumbsup:
That looks good, a few questions.

Did the tips have to be cut / welded or did they slip off?

Are the new tips bigger, if so by how much?

Do they affect the noise at all?

Thanks

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:29 pm

sunnydays wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:07 pm
mr wilks wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:18 pm This should be of interest to many 35i 35Is owners if like myself you look at the rear outlets with a sense of deflation & disappointment :o i know when i first started studying the whole 89 range a few years back i was always underwhelmed with the stock offerings for the flagship models :( no complaints on the tone though :evil:
So just 12 days into my twin turbo ownership the situation was addressed :oops:
The guy i used has recently set up on his own after 22 yrs working in the custom exhaust industry , couldn't fault him on any level & would happily recommend him ( he also does centre box deletes ( 4 cyl 89s only ) along with decat pipes & full custom build exhaust systems . I simply had the oe tips cut off & larger more purposeful ends welded on .
Based in Darwen Lancs works 6 days a week , cost was just £90 all in :wink: :thumbsup:
That looks good, a few questions.

Did the tips have to be cut / welded or did they slip off?

Are the new tips bigger, if so by how much?

Do they affect the noise at all?

Thanks
Old tips cut off & new are welded on
Tips are bigger at 85mm
No affect on noise at all , sounds exactly as it did before they were changed
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4