Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DCT Modes? M/S?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Philly_Sweden

DCT Modes? M/S?

Post by Philly_Sweden » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi.

I have hopefully bought a Z4 35is today, wee :D
Coming from 2 Z4 M Coupés I thought it would be fun to try something new.

But hey, the DCT is confusing...or not?

D = Drive, that I understand :)
But what are the differences between M/S? Are both manual? I drove it today but can't remember how the gearbox worked because I had thousand other things to think about :)

Thanks!

/Filip

huytonman

DCT Modes? M/S?

Post by huytonman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:20 pm

If you move the lever to the left you will move to "sport" mode for the gearbox and the throttle response will become sharper without changing the damper settings (you can change this by moving the switch next to the lever to Sport or Sport + and the ride will get firmer/harsher as well as sharpening the throttle response). If you leave the lever to the left the car will still change gear automatically but will hold the gears to improve acceleration if you now flip the steering wheel paddles OR push the lever forwards or backwards you will have manual control of the box and it will stay in manual mode unless you push the lever back to the right or normal position. If you use the paddles when the lever is to the right you have manual control for a short time (dont know how long but maybe 20-30 secs) this is useful for overtaking and then the box reverts back to auto mode.
So right = fully auto with temporary manual control via the paddles, left = sporty gearchange/throttle fully auto unless you flip the paddles or push the lever forward/pull back when you move to manual control.
Keith

Philly_Sweden

DCT Modes? M/S?

Post by Philly_Sweden » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:32 pm

huytonman wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:20 pm If you move the lever to the left you will move to "sport" mode for the gearbox and the throttle response will become sharper without changing the damper settings (you can change this by moving the switch next to the lever to Sport or Sport + and the ride will get firmer/harsher as well as sharpening the throttle response). If you leave the lever to the left the car will still change gear automatically but will hold the gears to improve acceleration if you now flip the steering wheel paddles OR push the lever forwards or backwards you will have manual control of the box and it will stay in manual mode unless you push the lever back to the right or normal position. If you use the paddles when the lever is to the right you have manual control for a short time (dont know how long but maybe 20-30 secs) this is useful for overtaking and then the box reverts back to auto mode.
So right = fully auto with temporary manual control via the paddles, left = sporty gearchange/throttle fully auto unless you flip the paddles or push the lever forward/pull back when you move to manual control.
Keith
Thank you sooo much Keith! Really, thanks!
This answered all my questions!
I thought S was manual but now it all makes sense and I can sleep without headache :D

/Filip