Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to get the most from a 35IS test drive?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:11 am

Gaffa22 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:16 am
Z4M-2006 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:18 pm Why not ?

It's got a 6.2 V8 engine that produces 500 bhp+

If it was a 3.0 with 250 bhp that averaged over 34mpg it would be marvellous
Oh yes the engine and power are awesome but I'd probably only get on average 10mpg as I have a heavy right foot
It's a pay off really, on a normal day there is no way you can use all of the available power...
You can still drive really quickly and still be above 15mpg...
My V10 M5 was a lot worse than my C63 in relative terms

I'm averaging 17mpg in C63 whereas it was 13mpg in the M5

The Z4M's I have had averaged around 20mpg on the same routes whereas the 35is did 24...

gwatson

Post by gwatson » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:26 pm

For anyone interested, I test drove the following 981 Boxster S at lunchtime today, very well spec'd, some great options. Here's my thoughts, same format as my impressions of the 35is a few pages back, even though I've not directly compared them

Good stuff
• Car is immaculate, had front end prep done, side skirts were covered in vinyl so no chips. Rear bumper would need sprayed to be prestige, just behind the wheels are pebble dashed.
• Inside is fine, nice enough place, wouldn’t say special. Seats are really nice and comfy, but just only two way adjustable, so you can’t tighten the bolsters, could do with them being a little more snug.
• Cabin size is perfect, not too big, not too small for a weekender. Really good.
• Great driving position.
• Lovely looking thing, good road presence, saw him pull up and the black wheels with the red callipers behind really set the car off.
• Normal suspension mode is all you ever need on the road, sport all got a bit fidgety and felt like it was tramlining more.
• REALLY neutral chassis, brilliant handling. But does feel like the limits would be sky high. Chucked it into some corners and it just got on with it, huge grip, not a huge amount of feedback.
• PDK is ace, although did have the urge to heal and toe into one of my favourite corners
• Engine is nice, but doesn’t take central stage like in the Z4M, although see my last thought below. Probably because it’s a better all-rounder or just a newer generation and more refined.
• Feels solid, as in sturdy….
• No rattles that I could hear, rare in a roadster

Not so good:
• I'm told the PSE was valves were stuck open, but just wasn't that loud. Starting to wonder if I'm goingn deaf
• Very little popping and crackling when letting off, even in Sport. So is it an issue with the exhaust or because it's missing sport chrono?
• Steering wheel could be more direct, by that I mean a shorter ratio.
• Brakes felt a bit too solid, not much modulation at all and not very powerful, although I bet they are.
• Car seemed jerky and slow between 2000rpm and 3500rpm on anything more than half throttle. Felt like the Z4M did, almost like there is some sort of torque restriction going on in 2nd and 3rd, or traction control interfering.
• Nav looks old, assume you can turn the screen off anyway.
• More wind buffering that I expected.

Totally forgot to listen to the Bose sounds system.

Not a positive or negative, but car sounds way better with the roof up, much more engine noise and even the exhaust sounds deeper and bass-ier.

Impressed with Porsche so far, nice guy, just let me enjoy the test drive, not trying to make crap chat. But very well informed on the car. Usually these guys don’t have a clue about half of the options\functions, it’s me telling them. The pressure to commit etc

Z4 35is is totally ruled out, sorry guys. Going to try my mates Boxster on Monday evening, as he assures me is his loud and makes all the right noises you come to expect of PSE. F type is the next option to test.

So to conclude, can you please build me F type roadster bodied car, with an S54 engine, attached to a PDK box and 981 handling and driving position 😊 😊

Current:
E89 SDrive 30i M Sport - Manual
Jaguar F-Type V6S Convertible
E70 X5 30d

Previous:
Z4M Roadster Interlagos Blue
ESS Stage 2 Supercharged E85 3.0

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:56 pm

How much was the Boxster ?

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:48 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:55 pm
john-e89 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:50 pm Initial thoughts are you'll be disappointed coming from the two mentioned cars, mainly because the 35is is softer, heavier, and much much less of an exciting driving car than those two. That said you'll find bags more torque and power than the S2000, so much more accessible too, you don't have to wring its neck, it's got ample shove all the way through the rev range, very easy to drive quickly. The steering is not in the same league either, dead and numb in comparison to the other two, although on its own it's ok, nothing more. No doubting it's a great cruiser, GT car, comfy, very easy to live with, a great distance car and excellent every day roadster, they have a lot to offer, but as a thrilling direct sports car? No, in that guise they're a long way off the mark, again especially in comparison to the other two.

Just imho obviously, and yes I've driven quite a few S2000's and owned a Boxster, so as Andy has said your views will be interesting. :thumbsup:
I think you should get out and drive that car a bit more John.... :rofl:
Yep, have also driven the other two mentioned and couldn't be more of the opposite opinion. Are you sure your driving a 35is?
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:45 pm

Problem for me is for a weekend car either the boxster or the E89 is going to depreciate like a stone over the ensuing 3 years -and then there is the insurance .Need to be earning big bucks to deal with those sorts of numbers .Id be interested to know how the Porsche garage is doing in Aberdeen with the oil money vanishing -cant imagine they are selling a lot of cars .
What's not to like about an S2K -bomb proof mechanicals ,epic gear box and that engine on full chat -and they really dont depreciate much anymore if at all . I recall insurance was a lot more when i was looking before i bought my MR . Still a lovely car to own and drive .
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:10 am

If the 981 isn't popping and crackling then the valves not open.

Most of the guys I hang around with from the forum have moved on to 911s and 981s. We've just been down to monaco and back and the 981s are really loud on overrun. I think they sound spectacular.

My dads 911 991.1 has a similar exhaust and its really loud when its on we also had a E85 Z4M with us and although gorgeous you couldn't hear it what so ever with the 911/981s around. We had a 987.2 Cayman S two 981 boxsters 2 991.1, 997.2 Targa 4s and a Z4M roady with us. One of the main complaints about the Z4M is that the exhaust isn't loud even with modified exhausts. I think it sounds great but its not loud.

The combined was just music through the swiss passes and tunnels.

ImageZ&P Eurotrip UK to Monaco 2017 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

981s aren't going to depreciate in the slightest if anything they aren't doing anything but going up because Porsche is struggling to shift the 982. They are like hens teeth to find good ones and good ones are 45+ all the way up to 60k. Crazy money but gorgeous cars. TBH insurance is the least worry for me and isn't a reason not to buy a car within reason.

Im sure porsche Aberdeen are doing fine they usually have some of the finest examples in the UK and their location won't matter. Apparently 80% of cars sold at porsche garages are bought unseen and transported.

The E89 will depreciate further but buy a good one and I don't think you'll se crazy depreciation especially a sort after car like a 35IS they are almost toward the bottom of their depreciation curve with early models hitting around 15k. Trade values for early 10 plate cars with average milage is not much more over 14.5k. Obviously there are issues with them to bare in mind but once sorted should be great motoring for the forceable future. Issues being water pump, Injectors, cracked alloys and the adaptive suspension strut leaks.
Last edited by tomscott on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:23 am

Here is the video of the trip there is a good stint at 2 mins 46 sec of the 981 exhaust and you can here the 991 infront. They are really loud to the point where they can be too loud which is nice because they are switchable.

At the end of the day the E89 is a Turbo and tbh its one of the best sounding BMW turbo engines. The M3/M4 sounds dreadful in comparison.
Last edited by tomscott on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:15 am

Some great pics & vid Tom , enjoyed that feast for the eyes :) & ears :oops: :oops: when i see the figures asked for Boxsters & 911s for something half decent it only confirms what a "supercar" bargain the twin turbo 89s are right now . Ok never going to feel as balanced & nimble come the twisties but the other departments are more than up to any rival for a fraction of the cost & yes the faults are well documented but doesn't need a major inheritance to get on top of :wink: £3000-£4000 would cover all 4 issues you mentioned if you were unlucky to suffer them all at once .
As for £45k upwards for a 5yr old Boxster 981 :cry: it would have to land me on the moon to even consider it :P this one looks decent for a big lump less https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... e=promoted
& a Z4M on stock boxes :? just a NO :o not ever in my book , way too muted for what the car is & if you ever get chance to sample a MR on BCS boxes i think you'd be impressed :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Philly_Sweden

Post by Philly_Sweden » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:35 am

I have driven N/A M’s for over 10 years and I love them all.

This car on the other hand, I cant put my finger on it but I love the whole package. I love just cruisin around in S and floor the gaspedal... sooo fast.

Even though I paid alot its still a whole lot of car for the money.

I dont regret selling the M, I love that I had the guts to buy my first Turbo :)

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:39 am

mr wilks wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:15 am Some great pics & vid Tom , enjoyed that feast for the eyes :) & ears :oops: :oops: when i see the figures asked for Boxsters & 911s for something half decent it only confirms what a "supercar" bargain the twin turbo 89s are right now . Ok never going to feel as balanced & nimble come the twisties but the other departments are more than up to any rival for a fraction of the cost & yes the faults are well documented but doesn't need a major inheritance to get on top of :wink: £3000-£4000 would cover all 4 issues you mentioned if you were unlucky to suffer them all at once .
As for £45k upwards for a 5yr old Boxster 981 :cry: it would have to land me on the moon to even consider it :P this one looks decent for a big lump less https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... e=promoted
& a Z4M on stock boxes :? just a NO :o not ever in my book , way too muted for what the car is & if you ever get chance to sample a MR on BCS boxes i think you'd be impressed :thumbsup:
Glad you enjoyed it! Very talented man who made the film and the drone footage through the passes. PVRs son.

Certainly another trip of a lifetime. Didn’t really want to post the whole thing as a thread on here as its a bit too Porsche orientated.

Completely agree.

Sorry should have clarified. If I was to buy a 981 I would want a really special one, fully loaded, full extended leather, chrono, sports exhaust, PASM, adjustable chassis control, all the acutement. Some of those ticket items were 6-7k extras and non of them have it. The 991 we have has Chassis control and honestly it completely changes the car have driven two back to back it would be something I wouldn’t be without. For example on the autobahn most of the corners have negative camber and and in the old 997 911 the car literally wanted to push you off the road and it did feel dangerous at high speed. With the chassis control it has independent wheel intelligent suspension it pushes the car up on one side and it’s so smooth to drive you can sit at 170+ all day long incredible technology.

The issue with buying a boxer or cayman is that when you do spec that level of gear your way way into 911 territory. Which is why many don’t exist as many people bought 911s instead. They are amazing cars but being around these cars with all of these mechanical options they are just off the earth they are literally as close to perfect as it comes and would be “the” car for me. Especially being the last NA car. Most of these well appointed cars are only available in GTS form but I hate alcantara so probably wouldn’t buy one. Of corse the GTS prices are crazy too.

For example nipped on the Porsche website and with the new 982 being a turbo the difference between the boxster and S is mostly cosmetic and around 7-8k whereas in a 911 you buy an S for the mechanical engineering differences so that 10k you actually get something for your money unlike the boxster. I specked a boxster up with say an eco spec and it was over 60k crazy for essentially an entry level 2.0l car.

Tbh the Zs are great value for money, every time i come back to them.

The 911s are much more expensive buy a decent low mileage one and your well into super car money but I think once you do make the step up to something you really want you’ll never look back. Its definitely a bit of a leap of faith as you say from an economical stand point are they really that good? It’s not always just an economical decision it’s a want and a dream I suppose and to me there is no let down at all worth every penny. I’ve been completely spoilt with being able to drive this calibre across Europe on some of the best roads where these cars really belong and were designed to be and desperately want one. Ive been playing at a level way way above my station with someone else’s car that I will probably never be able to afford, also all these guys are a fair bit older than me and much more established its impossible to get onto the same level. Makes it very hard to come back to earth and everything I test drive doesn’t come close. I really think they are that good. The 991 was slated but get the spec right and honestly it will blow you away. Same with the 981. All the best ones have been put away very few come onto the market.

That Blue one of Jacks is such a car and honestly was toe to toe with the 911 all the way and the noise it makes and how comfortable and capable it is just seems like the best package. Although a GT4 or a Spyder with the 3.8 engine out of the 991 must be one of the best combos in that range. Again 100k crazy money. But rare and will always be sort after.
Last edited by tomscott on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:05 am

Philly_Sweden wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:35 am I have driven N/A M’s for over 10 years and I love them all.

This car on the other hand, I cant put my finger on it but I love the whole package. I love just cruisin around in S and floor the gaspedal... sooo fast.

I dont regret selling the M, I love that I had the guts to buy my first Turbo :)
+1 think I’m following suit too. Being a similar age I completely understand I loved the M and now we do a lot of traveling to see friends and family because we’ve moved I want something comfortable and fun but not as compromised. The M is a great car but it’s not fun to sit on a motorway with it’s best on the twisters. The 35IS is probably the opposite but you can still enjoy the twisties too.

The one worry I have with it is how much trunk space it has when the roof is down as the mrs likes having lots of stuff 😂

Philly_Sweden

Post by Philly_Sweden » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:20 am

tomscott wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:05 am
Philly_Sweden wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:35 am I have driven N/A M’s for over 10 years and I love them all.

+1 think I’m following suit too. Being a similar age I completely understand I loved the M and now we do a lot of traveling to see friends and family because we’ve moved I want something comfortable and fun but not as compromised. The M is a great car but it’s not fun to sit on a motorway with it’s best on the twisters. The 35IS is probably the opposite but you can still enjoy the twisties too.

The one worry I have with it is how much trunk space it has when the roof is down as the mrs likes having lots of stuff 😂

You nailed it! Couldn’t Said it better myself actually :)

Well there is almost no space :)
We bought a really small chair? Or somekind of sittingdevice and It just fit haha. Can upload a pic later, on the train right now to Gothenburg over the weekend

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:04 am

Some interesting and intelligent views above, well thought out and written. Just be careful about saying ‘anything’ slightly derogatory about the 35is, there are a few up their own bottom snobs that cannot accept they have the odd compromise... :wink:

Anyway, what’s been written here just confirms a thought I’ve had for a year or so now, the Z4M, Boxster and 35is are all too far apart and since having another shot at an M I’ve come to the conclusion a Boxster is the best car for all round use. 4 weeks using the 35is I’m pining for the M, for its agility, fantastic manual gearbox and sheer fun sports car. Another 4 weeks later I’m pining for the 35is, for its comfort, ease of use, it’s interior, classy GT car. The money tied up in both is ridiculous, it’s not sustainable, so I think come spring both will be moved on for one car. Just so hard to let either go, I love them both for what they do, for their respective jobs they do them exceptionally well, pretty much perfectly infact, but so far apart that neither one can fulfill both roles, they’re one or the other. I totally get why Philly bought a 35 for his needs, I doubt very much he’ll have any disappointment, it’ll cruise up and down Europe all day long in comfort with oodles of easily usable grunt.

It’s just those times when he’s on his own, nowhere important to be, and out for a blast.....THEN he’ll pine for his M...
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Philly_Sweden

Post by Philly_Sweden » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:48 am

john-e89 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:04 am Some interesting and intelligent views above, well thought out and written. Just be careful about saying ‘anything’ slightly derogatory about the 35is, there are a few up their own bottom snobs that cannot accept they have the odd compromise... :wink:

Anyway, what’s been written here just confirms a thought I’ve had for a year or so now, the Z4M, Boxster and 35is are all too far apart and since having another shot at an M I’ve come to the conclusion a Boxster is the best car for all round use. 4 weeks using the 35is I’m pining for the M, for its agility, fantastic manual gearbox and sheer fun sports car. Another 4 weeks later I’m pining for the 35is, for its comfort, ease of use, it’s interior, classy GT car. The money tied up in both is ridiculous, it’s not sustainable, so I think come spring both will be moved on for one car. Just so hard to let either go, I love them both for what they do, for their respective jobs they do them exceptionally well, pretty much perfectly infact, but so far apart that neither one can fulfill both roles, they’re one or the other. I totally get why Philly bought a 35 for his needs, I doubt very much he’ll have any disappointment, it’ll cruise up and down Europe all day long in comfort with oodles of easily usable grunt.

It’s just those times when he’s on his own, nowhere important to be, and out for a blast.....THEN he’ll pine for his M...
Time Will tell.
Of Course I Will miss it sometimes but overall this car is better for me :)

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:08 am

I think that's why the 981 and 991 are so appealing because they do what the M and 35IS do in one car at the touch of a button and are easier to live with, boxster has 2 boots the 911 has 4 seats or 2 seats and a rear hatch that is a huge storage space. Like you say with the cost of both the cars put together you could have a nice 981 or maybe a 991 carrera.

But the fact is if you compare one vs the other rather than having both to compare the cost for admission is prohibitive but then the fad at the moment is firmly in the Porsche world. Loosing money is pretty much not going to happen if you buy sensibly. The previous car was a low milage high spec 997.1 CS and since getting the 991 CS 18 months ago that 997 has gone up 8-10k because it was mint and had no milage. One of my favourites just so raw. Reasons for sale was he wanted something new and the fact it was nearly 10 years old and the thought of IMS RMS bore scoring piston slap nakard condensers etc. Just like the boxster S I bought had all the above and was very lucky to get out of it with the repairs estimated at £11,500. Still think I was unlucky but the fact it happened made me realise its not something to take lightly and not internet scaremongering.

The speed at which the market is moving over there is scary and eyewatering. One of the reasons I wanted to get on the train is because its getting more and more prohibitive to get on that ladder. Like mortgaging a house to get up there. Will have to wait will just be glad to get back in a car sold the Z4M in 2014 feels like a missing limb.