Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 M Sport Front Splitter - M Performance Style

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:23 pm

Philly_Sweden wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:14 pm Epic! Much respect for your work mate!
Perhaps not so wide though so it doesnt stick out of the bumper on the sides? Maby if it followed the lines more?
If you zoom in to the drivers side that is how it is supposed to sit... if you zoom in to the passenger side you’ll notice the issue we have! I think where it’s been designed using a bumper that’s not mounted to a car the bumper isn’t pulled in enough. So although the shape is perfect IMO it’s a bit too wide.

We’ll get there though and these will be bargains in the end!
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:00 pm

Im probably jumping the gun abit but any updates on the side skirts?

SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:49 pm

sunnydays wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:00 pm Im probably jumping the gun abit but any updates on the side skirts?
Not yet, there will be a matching side skirt but we need to get the splitter perfect first.
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

Nathan_McClean

Post by Nathan_McClean » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:40 pm

Any update on the splitter? I've been looking for one for months in my price range with no luck. If you need some help with the cad drawings let me know because I'm actually a CAD technician as my full time job.
What company are you going to use for the CNC Machining?
Proud owner of a BMW Z4 20i M-Sport

Image Image

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:53 pm

Am I the only person that thinks that this does not look good.
It just doesnt flow with the rest of the bumper and looks odd.
I think it would be different if the bumper at the sides was originally flat with the splitter tight against it.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Philly_Sweden

Post by Philly_Sweden » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Nictrix wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:53 pm Am I the only person that thinks that this does not look good.
It just doesnt flow with the rest of the bumper and looks odd.
I think it would be different if the bumper at the sides was originally flat with the splitter tight against it.
Yes. Just like I Said. I respect the work but its too wide. It need to be in line with the bumper.

SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:55 pm

Are you saying it would be better if the sides were flush with the bumper?

I’m terms of how the sides angle up, there’s nothing we can do about that, unless you look at the more expensive moulding route. Then there’s no point as I can buy a CF one from Germany for €650. This is supposed to be a more cost effective splitter and the spacers used will look good (similar to how the mk1 Lean Cupra R Splitter works).

I’ve suggested having the sides totally flush and reducing the size of it.

I’m on holiday now but will update.

Tumnus

Post by Tumnus » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:13 pm

Sorry, but I don't get the 'sides flush with the bumper' argument, especially if you're also interested in the sideskirt lips which will protrude a bit as well, they're not really lips if they don't stick out a bit!
CC retrofit, LUX 180 Angel Eyes, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, BMW Performance Grilles, LCI Indicators, Remus exhaust, SmartTOP

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickj1972/albums

SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:44 pm

Tumnus wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:13 pm Sorry, but I don't get the 'sides flush with the bumper' argument, especially if you're also interested in the sideskirt lips which will protrude a bit as well, they're not really lips if they don't stick out a bit!
That is exactly why the guy making it said it needs to have a bit of a “lip” on the side.

I can see where others are coming from regarding how far it protrudes at the front and maybe doesn’t follow the lines of the bumper although I personally like it.

Once I’m back from holiday I’ll have another look at it.

Philly_Sweden

Post by Philly_Sweden » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:43 pm

This is your lip Steve and your style and I respect that a lot! Really!

This is what I mean and what I thinks looks better when it flows with the bumper:

Tumnus

Post by Tumnus » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Philly_Sweden wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:43 pm This is your lip Steve and your style and I respect that a lot! Really!

This is what I mean and what I thinks looks better when it flows with the bumper:

I agree that's probably better if you're not interested in having the sideskirt lips, but it needs to match if you want sideskirt lips like these:

CC retrofit, LUX 180 Angel Eyes, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, BMW Performance Grilles, LCI Indicators, Remus exhaust, SmartTOP

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:06 pm

When I was talking about it sitting flat with the bumper I was talking about the front on view and how the fangs are angled slightly upward towards the middle of the car so that although the splitter is touching on the outsides of the fang it ends up with what looks like an inch+ gap at the inner point of the fang.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Tumnus

Post by Tumnus » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:33 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:06 pm When I was talking about it sitting flat with the bumper I was talking about the front on view and how the fangs are angled slightly upward towards the middle of the car so that although the splitter is touching on the outsides of the fang it ends up with what looks like an inch+ gap at the inner point of the fang.
I see what you're saying but it would have to be curved, and I don't think any of them are, you can see the gap in this aftermarket one:

Maybe a slight curve is possible, though I guess that may increase the cost depending on how they're made.

Philly_Sweden

Post by Philly_Sweden » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:50 pm

Tumnus wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:33 pm
Nictrix wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:06 pm When I was talking about it sitting flat with the bumper I was talking about the front on view and how the fangs are angled slightly upward towards the middle of the car so that although the splitter is touching on the outsides of the fang it ends up with what looks like an inch+ gap at the inner point of the fang.
I see what you're saying but it would have to be curved, and I don't think any of them are, you can see the gap in this aftermarket one:

Maybe a slight curve is possible, though I guess that may increase the cost depending on how they're made.
No gaps on the 3D-design lip. It follows the uneven curve of the fangs.

SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:38 pm

I get what you’re saying and in an ideal world, the gap would be filled but it’s just not possible to do this way.

I don’t like the way the 3d design lip closed off the gap and I don’t want to spend €650 on the TJ engineering carbon lip as I don’t want carbon fibre (and that’s the main reason it’s so expensive!).

The problem is, the longer this takes the closer I am to pulling the trigger on an M4! Test drive one recently and did the M4 track day and I’m sold!