Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ash tray wont close!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
sunnydays

Ash tray wont close!

Post by sunnydays » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:28 pm

So somehow a 50p managed to get out of the tray and stuck under the lid, In gently prying it open in an attempt to remove the lid opened all the way

How ever it will now not shut!

Any ideas guys?

sunnydays

Ash tray wont close!

Post by sunnydays » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:43 pm

And now to top it off I have no power out of both cig lighters. Yet the one in the ash tray still has the red ring around it lit

Busterboo

Ash tray wont close!

Post by Busterboo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:47 pm

sunnydays wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:43 pm And now to top it off I have no power out of both cig lighters. Yet the one in the ash tray still has the red ring around it lit
Both cigarette lighters? :-o
Vidi, vici, veni

Busterboo

Ash tray wont close!

Post by Busterboo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:49 pm

sunnydays wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:28 pm So somehow a 50p managed to get out of the tray and stuck under the lid, In gently prying it open in an attempt to remove the lid opened all the way

Any ideas guys?

Buy a K2 Inforad, put it in the cigarette lighter (and leave the lid open). It goes straight in the lighter socket without an adapter and works very well. Had them in all my cars for years.

Vidi, vici, veni

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Ash tray wont close!

Post by Smartbear » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:54 pm

Busterboo wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:47 pm
sunnydays wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:43 pm And now to top it off I have no power out of both cig lighters. Yet the one in the ash tray still has the red ring around it lit
There’s a lighter socket under the centre armrest :wink:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Ash tray wont close!

Post by Nictrix » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:35 pm

It sounds like you have dislodged something in the mechanism and you will probably have to remove it to see what is exactly going on.
The down side is that you will have to remove the centre console to get to the screws that hold the ash tray to the console from underneath.
The console is fairly easy to remove though and can be taken out in about 5 minutes.
Remove the gearstick and surround first.
It may be worth removing the plastic piece under the stereo to give a bit more room and this just prises off as well.
Once the gearstick and surround is out the way you can either pull up on the console from the hole you have made or use trim removal tools and start prising from the arm rest end. This is only held in place with 5 metal clips.
Once its released unclip all the electrical connectors and remove.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Ash tray wont close!

Post by Nictrix » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Busterboo wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:49 pm
sunnydays wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:28 pm So somehow a 50p managed to get out of the tray and stuck under the lid, In gently prying it open in an attempt to remove the lid opened all the way

Any ideas guys?

Buy a K2 Inforad, put it in the cigarette lighter (and leave the lid open). It goes straight in the lighter socket without an adapter and works very well. Had them in all my cars for years.

How does this help to fix the lid not closing?

Busterboo

Ash tray wont close!

Post by Busterboo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:54 pm

Nictrix wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:37 pm How does this help to fix the lid not closing?
Easy. It stops you wanting to close it. :wink:
Vidi, vici, veni

Kugaman1

Ash tray wont close!

Post by Kugaman1 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:10 am

:rofl:

Good answer

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Ash tray wont close!

Post by Nictrix » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:19 am

Busterboo wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:54 pm
Nictrix wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:37 pm How does this help to fix the lid not closing?
Easy. It stops you wanting to close it. :wink:
Not really the answer though is it?
Is that what you normally do with things that break or arnt working, just find a way of covering up the fact its broken rather than fixing it?
I think you should stick to wheel and tyre threads :lol:

Pbondar

Ash tray wont close!

Post by Pbondar » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:34 am

Hi I had the same problem, overfilled the ash tray with coins...in the end aggressively hitting (with my fist not a hammer) the centre console around the ash tray allowed the coins to bounce around and it came dislodged after about 10-12 punches,obviously you can’t hit the console till it cracks...

Busterboo

Ash tray wont close!

Post by Busterboo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:09 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:54 pm
Busterboo wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:47 pm
There’s a lighter socket under the centre armrest :wink:
Rob
A two-seater with two cigarette lighters.

For synchronised cigarette lighting, of course. :)
Vidi, vici, veni

sunnydays

Ash tray wont close!

Post by sunnydays » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:00 pm

So the cigerette lighters are fixed, was just the fuse.

sunnydays

Ash tray wont close!

Post by sunnydays » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:01 pm

Nictrix wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:35 pm It sounds like you have dislodged something in the mechanism and you will probably have to remove it to see what is exactly going on.
The down side is that you will have to remove the centre console to get to the screws that hold the ash tray to the console from underneath.
The console is fairly easy to remove though and can be taken out in about 5 minutes.
It may be worth removing the plastic piece under the stereo to give a bit more room and this just prises off as well.
Once the gearstick and surround is out the way you can either pull up on the console from the hole you have made or use trim removal tools and start prising from the arm rest end. This is only held in place with 5 metal clips.
Thank you, going to take a look at this when I have abit more time :)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Ash tray wont close!

Post by Nictrix » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:54 pm

sunnydays wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:01 pm
Nictrix wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:35 pm It sounds like you have dislodged something in the mechanism and you will probably have to remove it to see what is exactly going on.
Thank you, going to take a look at this when I have abit more time :)
If you take it apart and get no joy fixing it I have an ashtray you can have if you cover the postage.