Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ash tray wont close!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Ash tray wont close!

Post by flybobbie » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:57 pm

My ashtray has never opened properly, I have to push the forward edge to open.

Busterboo

Ash tray wont close!

Post by Busterboo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:50 pm

Nictrix wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:54 pm
sunnydays wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:01 pm
Nictrix wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:35 pm It sounds like you have dislodged something in the mechanism and you will probably have to remove it to see what is exactly going on.
The down side is that you will have to remove the centre console to get to the screws that hold the ash tray to the console from underneath.
The console is fairly easy to remove though and can be taken out in about 5 minutes.
Remove the gearstick and surround first.
It may be worth removing the plastic piece under the stereo to give a bit more room and this just prises off as well.
Once the gearstick and surround is out the way you can either pull up on the console from the hole you have made or use trim removal tools and start prising from the arm rest end. This is only held in place with 5 metal clips.
Once its released unclip all the electrical connectors and remove.
Thank you, going to take a look at this when I have abit more time :)
If you take it apart and get no joy fixing it I have an ashtray you can have if you cover the postage.
Now that's a kind offer.
Vidi, vici, veni

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Ash tray wont close!

Post by Nictrix » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 pm

flybobbie wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:57 pm My ashtray has never opened properly, I have to push the forward edge to open.
I wonder if the lid is attached properly.
The lid is in 2 pieces. The trim part slides/clips on and off the actual lid of the ashtray.
Not sure if you can remove it without removing the whole ashtray from the console first though.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

sunnydays

Ash tray wont close!

Post by sunnydays » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:16 pm

Nictrix wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:54 pm
sunnydays wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:01 pm
Nictrix wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:35 pm It sounds like you have dislodged something in the mechanism and you will probably have to remove it to see what is exactly going on.
The down side is that you will have to remove the centre console to get to the screws that hold the ash tray to the console from underneath.
The console is fairly easy to remove though and can be taken out in about 5 minutes.
Remove the gearstick and surround first.
It may be worth removing the plastic piece under the stereo to give a bit more room and this just prises off as well.
Once the gearstick and surround is out the way you can either pull up on the console from the hole you have made or use trim removal tools and start prising from the arm rest end. This is only held in place with 5 metal clips.
Once its released unclip all the electrical connectors and remove.
Thank you, going to take a look at this when I have abit more time :)
If you take it apart and get no joy fixing it I have an ashtray you can have if you cover the postage.
Thank you very much, very appreciated. I will let you know how I get on fixing it :)