Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

End of warranty check

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
mcbutler

End of warranty check

Post by mcbutler » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:06 am

ric19 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:33 am
HillWalker wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:00 pm Thanks for the picture ric19, I'll be under there with my torch tomorrow, I know all about the cracking wheels but having done such a low mileage never gave it a second thought
Well good luck with that, I tried to inspect mine pre MOT but couldn't see any cracks so also jacked it up and found the wheels were seized on the hub , so at some point in the near future I'm having the new wheels off and slapping some antiseize grease on to make sure I can get them off to check
Wheels seizing on the hub is a well known BMW/AUDI thing. I had my rear tyres changed recently. It took nearly 4 hours! The locking wheel nut tool sheared off instantly making it impossible to get the special tools into the head of the locking wheel nut to remove it. Only after hours of patient picking, magnets, special gadgets that you hammer into the 'slot' on the locking bolt, turbo sockets etc etc did they get them off. If you have not already done it, back off your wheel bolts one at a time and spray a little copper grease in.

The problem is that the bolts are slightly too long and protrude through the hub a few millimetres. Rust forms on the bolt and prevents it from being extracted by the piss poor quality 'special wheel nut tool' which is apparently made from play-doh...

Do it now, you have been warned...... wah wah waaaaahhhhhhh
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mcbutler

End of warranty check

Post by mcbutler » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:07 am

mcbutler wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:06 am
HillWalker wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:00 pm Thanks for the picture ric19, I'll be under there with my torch tomorrow, I know all about the cracking wheels but having done such a low mileage never gave it a second thought
Well good luck with that, I tried to inspect mine pre MOT but couldn't see any cracks so also jacked it up and found the wheels were seized on the hub , so at some point in the near future I'm having the new wheels off and slapping some antiseize grease on to make sure I can get them off to check
Wheels seizing on the hub is a well known BMW/AUDI thing. I had my rear tyres changed recently. It took nearly 4 hours! The locking wheel nut tool sheared off instantly making it impossible to get the special tools into the head of the locking wheel nut to remove it. Only after hours of patient picking, magnets, special gadgets that you hammer into the 'slot' on the locking bolt, turbo sockets etc etc did they get them off. If you have not already done it, back off your wheel bolts one at a time and spray a little copper grease in.

The problem is that the bolts are slightly too long and protrude through the hub a few millimetres. Rust forms on the bolt and prevents it from being extracted by the piss poor quality 'special wheel nut tool' which is apparently made from play-doh...

Point of note, no power tools were used, socket broke under 'bicep power'...
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

R.E92

End of warranty check

Post by R.E92 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Twin Turbo wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:43 pm I would seriously recommend having it checked, however, I am not sure if you need to take it to the garage you purchased it from.

I did not take mine to this check and encountered an issue - However, I had the foresight of taking out the warranty out. Plus there was an software update completed as well.

I now have a new gearbox :D :driving:
Did you re-install the JB4 after the gearbox was replaced? Those piggyback units eat gearboxes!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

End of warranty check

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:32 pm

mcbutler wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:06 am

I think you’ll find it’s not advisable to grease the wheel bolts, the torque settings are for dry bolts & will be wrong for greased bolts :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Twin Turbo

End of warranty check

Post by Twin Turbo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:41 pm

R.E92 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:42 pm
Twin Turbo wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:43 pm I would seriously recommend having it checked, however, I am not sure if you need to take it to the garage you purchased it from.

I did not take mine to this check and encountered an issue - However, I had the foresight of taking out the warranty out. Plus there was an software update completed as well.

Did you re-install the JB4 after the gearbox was replaced? Those piggyback units eat gearboxes!
No JB4 installed as of yet, and I have a manual gearbox

As its getting close to fitting winter tyres - so little benefit with skinnies on

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

End of warranty check

Post by Nanu » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Just had my end of warranty check and you can take the car with the letter to any BMW dealership and get it done for free. Had mine done a week before the MOT was due and after the check and an interior valet (Won't let them touch the outside) they offered to give the old girl an MOT for £25. Took it in a few days later passed without incident as expected and got them to give the wheels a good clean for free. Whats not to like?
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

End of warranty check

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:58 pm

Twin Turbo wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:41 pm

As its getting close to fitting winter tyres - so little benefit with skinnies on
Are you talking about your 28i? I thought you had the flappy paddle auto box?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Twin Turbo

End of warranty check

Post by Twin Turbo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:57 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:58 pm
Twin Turbo wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:41 pm

Are you talking about your 28i? I thought you had the flappy paddle auto box?
Rob
No Manual gear box, :( and yes my 28i

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

End of warranty check

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:28 pm

Personally, I'd take it in - They will be looking for work that they can make a warranty claim for, what do you have to lose?

Mike

HillWalker

End of warranty check

Post by HillWalker » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:14 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:28 pm Personally, I'd take it in - They will be looking for work that they can make a warranty claim for, what do you have to lose?

Mike
I'm always worried when a dealer gets their hands on it something will get damaged or marked, I think I'm an eternal pessimist, and they certainly won't be cleaning it inside or outside !