Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My New Z

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Number Six

My New Z

Post by Number Six » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice in the last thread, it was appreciated. I picked up a 2009 Z4 35i in late September then proceeded to give it a blast across the Highlands for the NC500; in retrospect this was a terrible idea as I'd come from a lightweight 2.0 MX-5 to something with double the power and an extra half ton in weight. This meant that I drove like an old lady around the mountains as I was terrified of flying off the edge, and a few wet foot/accelerator moments only heightened that fear.

I spent the initial drive up to Scotland thinking 'What if I've made the wrong decision?' but by the time I arrived in Inverness I'd all but forgotten about the Mazda. It's a fantastic car but the Z just feels more... solid. And the noise it makes is infectious, I've missed owning a car with a decent-sized engine. It seems to have been looked after, everything works and the only problem I have is trying to get an iPod to talk to the car - bought a Y cable but it will still only work through the Aux so if anyone has any pointers I'd be obliged.

Sadly at the end of the trip the car was parked outside a hotel and some $*&% ran into it on a bicycle, leaving dents in the bonnet so it needs a respray which will be happening in the next few weeks, other than that swapping the runflats for Pilot Sports will definitely be the next move, suggestions for the car are encouraged. Below are some pre-damage pictures:
DSC01111.jpeg
DSC01111.jpeg (107.73 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
20170921_125948.jpg
20170921_125948.jpg (429.05 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
DSC00941.jpeg
DSC00941.jpeg (161.65 KiB) Viewed 1595 times

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

My New Z

Post by Marlon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Cant beat Scotland for the roads, just come back ourselves :driving:
Quite a step up in power from the MX5 - sounds like some readjustments to your driving style were necessary, lovely E89 btw :thumbsup:
Did you manage any roof down driving?
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Number Six

My New Z

Post by Number Six » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:09 pm

It was a great trip, the scenery and hotels were great (aside from the last one). I should've taken the MX-5 and sold it on the way back in truth, it's a lot more flingable than the Z! It was quite embarrassing being outpaced by my friend in his 1.5L MX-5 but we had a really good time. Roof stayed firmly up, had a case and three bags in the boot but I've made up for it since.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

My New Z

Post by buzyg » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:31 pm

Welcome to the Forum. That road sign has gained a few stickers since I last saw it, in 1980. Ah the joys of Scotland :driving:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

My New Z

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Sounds like you would have enjoyed your trip more if you had owned your Z4 a bit longer - but it still sounds like it was a great trip!

Your car looks a bit mean and moody in the photos - lovely. :thumbsup:

Real shame about the cyclist nutter though. :(

As you have a 35i I just hope it is a manual one. :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

markalp

My New Z

Post by markalp » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:24 pm

O dont see any rain drops in that puddle so I see no reason why the roof isn't down!!!! Enjoy your new ride :)
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

Philly_Sweden

My New Z

Post by Philly_Sweden » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Congrats :driving:

EssexZed

My New Z

Post by EssexZed » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:50 pm

I too came to my first Zed from an MX5, a car that delivered great fun and peerless reliability. It just proved too small for our longer trips away. Great car for the money but now on our second Zed it's not missed at all! Sorry to read about the cyclist incident - it reinforced my car park phobia. A few years back I parked a three week old car in a hotel car park only to come out the next morning to find a long groove down the side, presumably caused by some incompetent adjacent Parker :(

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

My New Z

Post by john-e89 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Smart looking Zed, oodles of shove hasn’t it.

You didn’t make a mistake taking the Zed on the NC500, the mistake you made was not switching to non run flats before you went... :poke: :wink: Obviously they can’t change the weight of the thing but they sure make a night and day difference to handling, comfort and feel. Your mouth will drop when you switch, make sure it’s onto a soft landing.... :lol:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Number Six

My New Z

Post by Number Six » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:27 am

Mr Tidy - would definitely have enjoyed it more if I hadn't bought the car the day before :lol: It is indeed manual, I'm not a fan of automatics so had to discount the 35is. It is a mean and moody thing, the noise it makes is fantastic. Gruff without being chavvy, don't think I'd dare put a sport exhaust on this thing!

Regarding the cyclist incident, I was more annoyed with the hotel's lack of CCTV and not bothering to call me back so I warned any future NC500 travellers on Tripadvisor as there are a lot of expensive cars that take that route.

John - agree completely. The car still grips well but it's like driving on tyres filled with rubble. I'm going to run them down a bit before making the switch; sadly the tyre budget has been swallowed by the upcoming paint job.

I tried a search on the forum and elsewhere but couldn't find any information on the iPod connectivity so if anyone has any pointers (or suggestions for other mods) feel free to share, otherwise I'm sure BMW will be happy to comprehensively butcher my wallet when the car goes back in a few days!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

My New Z

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:59 am

Number Six wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:27 amMr Tidy - would definitely have enjoyed it more if I hadn't bought the car the day before It is indeed manual, I'm not a fan of automatics so had to discount the 35is. It is a mean and moody thing, the noise it makes is fantastic. Gruff without being chavvy, don't think I'd dare put a sport exhaust on this thing!

Regarding the cyclist incident, I was more annoyed with the hotel's lack of CCTV and not bothering to call me back so I warned any future NC500 travellers on Tripadvisor as there are a lot of expensive cars that take that route.
Oh dear - the day before didn't give you much time for practice. :roll:

Great choice with the manual - that would be my choice of E89 (assuming I could be talked out of my E86)!

Shame about the cyclist incident - I'm sure much more effort may have been made if you had clattered a MAMIL. :headbang:

I just hope you keep enjoying your Z4. :driving:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Number Six

My New Z

Post by Number Six » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:32 pm

Not the smartest move buying it the day before, no! I'll enjoy it a lot more once the front has been fixed but it has been enjoyable so far. Plan is to run it for a year or so and if I still like it as much trade it in for a newer one. It has been looked after quite nicely, just needs a damn good clean as it's looking more grey than black at the moment.

Theivz

My New Z

Post by Theivz » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Congratulations!! :thumbsup:

Number Six

My New Z

Post by Number Six » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Update:

Car is now 100% - front was due to be resprayed as part of the deal anyway but now the bumper and bonnet have been completely repainted and the dents left by the @#$/ cyclist removed.

Almost had another one hit the back of the car today, since buying this thing I appear to be flypaper for d***heads. In addition the tatty wheel roundels have been replaced, nav updated to 2017 and I can listen to my iPod, total cost including paint was 600 pounds. Just have to polish the rest of the paintwork and buy new tyres next but that can wait for next year.

Number Six

My New Z

Post by Number Six » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:39 pm

20171028_171859.jpg
20171028_171859.jpg (259.91 KiB) Viewed 1107 times