Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2.0i vs 23i back to back.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:54 pm

Today I drove my 24000 mile 2009 23i SE 320 miles south to trade in against a 21000 mile 2013 2.0 M Sport.

Comparison wise, my thoughts are as follows:

The SE averaged 39mpg. The Msport averaged 44mpg on the reverse route.

The SE is definitely a bit noisier on the road, theres a resonance sound from the rear wheel arches/suspension area that isnt there at all on the Msport.

The Msport gearbox is much smoother. It feels better insulated from the mechanicals of the car, whereas the SE box was a bit more notchy and slightly harder work to stir.

The SE rides better on its 18s compared to the Msports 19s. I dont so much mean the ride quality (surprisingly there isnt much difference between the two on RFTs) - I mean in straightline driving. The Msport tramlines more and neeeds constant correcting as it follows every road undulation.

The Msport is a nicer place to be. The seats are massively more comfortable and supportive.

As its a newer car, the Msport feels better screwed together and has very few rattles and squeaks. In the SE, I always knew I was in a folding roof car, in the Msport, this is easily forgotten, it seems as solid as a hard top.

The Msport has excellent spec, including the pro speaker system which is on a different planet to the standard system in the SE.

Engine wise the SE is so smooth and sounds much better, but you are always aware that theres a lot of weight over the front wheels. The Msport engine is much more responsive at lower rpms, it just misses the silky sound of the straight six.

All in all, Im delighted with the Msport. It feels better built, is cheaper to tax and is more economical......but this is a 2 seater cruiser, so who cares about that! I will miss the engine from the SE, but thats about all, for looks, every day use and general perceived quality, Im really pleased with the Msport....the only thing that annoys is the tram lining of the 19s. I guess I will be looking at none RFTs after the winter.....

Oh and why on earth dont the electric mirrors fold when the car is locked? Thats a bit annoying.

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:03 pm

Enjoy your new Zeeee, you can code the mirrors to fold on locking with the Carly app. Someone local to you should be able to sort that for you.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:29 pm

Ive got carly paid for on my iphone.
I sold the adaptor though as it was used on an x3 I used to own....didnt envisage buying another BMW so soon!

Anyone on here with an ios carly adapter that they would post up to me for a day or two?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:24 pm

Interesting comparison OP - hope you can find someone local with Carly!

It seems you miss the sound-track of the 23i - how does performance compare?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:13 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:24 pm Interesting comparison OP - hope you can find someone local with Carly!

Hi, the 20i was launched as a replacement for the 23i as the 28i was introduced as a replacement for the 3.0si.
Being a turbo engine they tend to have slightly less peak bhp but a bit more torque produced at lower rpm.
Open the link & look at page 10, that gives you a good idea at the different way the engines produce their power :thumbsup:
http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou ... ERPOST.pdf
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:06 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:24 pm Interesting comparison OP - hope you can find someone local with Carly!

The biggest noteable difference in power is lower down the rev range.

Sitting at 60mph on a dual carriageway in the 23i, put your foot down in sixth to accelerate past a slower car and very little happens, you really need to go down to 4th and get the revs up, then it pulls fine.

In the 20i with it having the turbo, do the same thing in sixth and it pulls without the need to change down.

I suppose in an ideal world, they would have done the 23i in an LCI version, that would be close to the ideal z4 for my requirements!