Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Carly mods for E89

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Kugaman1

Carly mods for E89

Post by Kugaman1 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:28 pm

I know there are a fair few posts about Carly.
However, when looking at the coding options, most of the posts refer to the e85/e86.
Maybe we should have a post about what Carly can do for the e89?

I got mine a few days ago and have done the following:

1. Coded stop/start to remember last state. (keeps it turned off).
2. Coded mirrors to fold/unfold on lock/unlock.
3. Coded digital speed indication on small screen between dials.
4. Coded headlight wash to operate less often and with less fluid sprays.

I also tried to do the following, but they didnt work. I think its because I have idrive and that means I need to pay more money to enable the idrive module. Just not sure yet whether its worth the extra money.

1. 5 x indicator flashes on soft press of stalk.
2. Audible confirmation of lock/unlock
3. Use GPS time to set clock time.
4. Enable video in motion.

I also cleared a bunch of error codes. I will monitor these over the coming weeks to see if any come back.

Carly can also be used to monitor a whole bunch of parameters within the engine, such as airflow, voltages, temperatures, etc...

All in all, it will cost around £100 to buy the adapter (Im using the one for apple devices) and the pro app.

Its incredibly easy to use and auto atically back ups the modules before making any changes, all in all its pretty much fool proof!
It even monitors the battery voltage while coding and will warn you if voltage is lower than ideal. Personally to save any issues, I did everything with the engine running.

There are people who moan that Carly can screw up the FRM module. If you actually research this, you will find that Carly have spent £1000s investigating the problem and it was caused by a BMW hardware issue. The Carly software will interrogate your FRM and if its one of the affected batch, it will not let you code any of the items within that module.

Mines a 2013 model and was perfectly fine.

All in all, whilst £100 is a considered purchase, for what Carly can do, I think its well worth it.

Anyone else coded other items / used it for other issues?

suttz83

Carly mods for E89

Post by suttz83 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:45 pm

I have the pro Carly and also paid for the added extra function such as coding the idrive. I wanted this as I really wanted to code the ringtone as I don’t like the original. Unfortunately it won’t change it so unsure if this part is worth the extra money. I’m waiting for Carly to get back to me.

Apart from this Carly has been really good.

mcbutler

Carly mods for E89

Post by mcbutler » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:02 am

I have idrive and had no problem coding indicators at all.
Try it again, make sure you have the engine running, it gives a more stable electrical environment for the process.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Gaffa22

Carly mods for E89

Post by Gaffa22 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:26 am

the whole list is on here, shows you all the options

http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge-ba ... aign=home
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F

AnubisZed

Carly mods for E89

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:46 pm

To code the indication flashes, don't forget to do the code for each key fob as well (ie; Key 1, Key 2, Key 3), if you only do the flashes code then it'll state that it's done but will not change. The key options are directly below the flash option when you're in Carly

^^ learnt from experience :D :oops:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Kugaman1

Carly mods for E89

Post by Kugaman1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:40 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:46 pm To code the indication flashes, don't forget to do the code for each key fob as well (ie; Key 1, Key 2, Key 3), if you only do the flashes code then it'll state that it's done but will not change. The key options are directly below the flash option when you're in Carly

^^ learnt from experience :D :oops:
Ah ha! Thanks mate, will try later.

I was also thinking about power folding mirrors. Ive currently set them to fold instantly on lock. However, with winter coming up, Im going to change it to fold after holding lock for 1 second. This then gives the option not to fold on days where it looks like being frosty.....