Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Insurance renewal

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Insurance renewal

Post by RickRob » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:41 pm

Obs-Com wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:25 pm However, no one's ever heard of a Greengrocer being taken to Court because of the bend of his banana!! :thumbsup:
Not yet, but the EU muppets are probably working on it. I bet that some enterprising insurance company can insure greengrocers for this risk!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

bob4333

Insurance renewal

Post by bob4333 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:58 pm

Obs-Com wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:25 pm ........... I suspect if ever an uninsured driver tried to obtain compensation under these circumstances (in the unlikely event that a matter would even get before a Court) it would be thrown out. Interesting test case though if ever it did happen.
Steady now. If the lawyers get involved then all of our premiums will go up yet again. :(

But isn't it all just symptomatic of if you pay people to sit around thinking up new laws they have to come up with something - or they'll have to go and get a proper job.

Or am I just being too cynical.....................?

Obs-Com

Insurance renewal

Post by Obs-Com » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:22 pm

bob4333 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:58 pm
Obs-Com wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:25 pm ........... I suspect if ever an uninsured driver tried to obtain compensation under these circumstances (in the unlikely event that a matter would even get before a Court) it would be thrown out. Interesting test case though if ever it did happen.
Steady now. If the lawyers get involved then all of our premiums will go up yet again. :(

But isn't it all just symptomatic of if you pay people to sit around thinking up new laws they have to come up with something - or they'll have to go and get a proper job.

Or am I just being too cynical.....................?
Think that sums it up nicely! :thumbsup:
2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
2016-17: F33 440i
2017-17: E85 2.5si
2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
2019-23: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)
2023-??: G23 M440i

harvchan

Insurance renewal

Post by harvchan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:28 pm

£330 for wife’s 2010 35is one accident last year

Lazza

Insurance renewal

Post by Lazza » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Why can’t I find cheaper than £350? That’s with AA who have never been good for me before.
50 years old, full no claims, 3pts (sp30), 1 no fault claim 3 years ago.
46 year old Mrs named driver. No points, no claims.
It all just seems to be random whether it’s possible to get a reasonable quote or not.
I don’t live in a dodgy area or have a high risk job.
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Insurance renewal

Post by ronk » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Lazza wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:02 pm Why can’t I find cheaper than £350? That’s with AA who have never been good for me before.
50 years old, full no claims, 3pts (sp30), 1 no fault claim 3 years ago.
46 year old Mrs named driver. No points, no claims.
It all just seems to be random whether it’s possible to get a reasonable quote or not.
I don’t live in a dodgy area or have a high risk job.

Same here!
Long Ncb, always had a performance car, now 69, decent area etc etc - but to get a decent policy with euro cover it’s also £350 these days.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Insurance renewal

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:55 pm

bob4333 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:30 am
Obs-Com wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:27 pm Can you reference this ruling?
I'll have a go. motorclaimguru.co.uk is usually reliable on these matters.

"A European Union ruling means that even motorists who break the law by driving without insurance should be protected if their car is damaged – a policy, transport secretary, Chris Grayling has condemned.

Under current UK rules, protection is given to motorists whose car is damaged by an uninsured driver. The Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) charges insurers a levy to meet the bill. The cost – some £256 million last year, or around £10 per driver – is passed on to motorists through their premiums.

However if the motorist who is the victim of the crash is also uninsured, they are exempt from receiving any compensation. The new EU ruling, which takes effect from 1 March (2017), will see a common system in place across the continent in which no driver is excluded.

Mr Grayling said, ‘It cannot be right that hardworking, law abiding drivers will foot the bill for the irresponsible actions of those who decide to break the law and drive without insurance.

‘As a result of European law, the government is forced to make these changes to the compensation paid out by the MIB. We are bound by our EU obligations – but we are leaving the EU and we will want to come back to this.’"

From the MIB

https://www.mib.org.uk/media-centre/new ... agreement/

"MIB paying a claim for the damage to an uninsured driver’s car when it has been caused by another uninsured or a ‘hit and run’ driver seems counter-intuitive. However, from 1 March 2017 that is what MIB will be required to do.

Paul Ryman-Tubb, Chief Technical Officer at MIB said: “Whilst we will deal with these claims in a professional manner, the principle of using honest premium paying motorists money to pay for the damage to an uninsured driver’s car seems crazy.”

This has come about through changes to the Uninsured Drivers Agreement and Untraced Drivers Agreement between MIB and the Government which are being introduced this week.

MIB has exercised its views with government advisors and debated this for many months. We understand that the government felt its hands were tied and they must comply with the Directive; so both of the Agreements have to change."

See also The Insurance Times

https://www.insurancetimes.co.uk/eu-in- ... 29.article

Insurance Business Magazine

http://www.insurancebusinessmag.com/uk/ ... 42547.aspx

Sunday Express

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/753659 ... ed-drivers

It was also confirmed to me by someone working in the insurance market. So, although just as nonsensical, sadly it doesn't seem to be Bananas this time.
Jesus Christ!

That's literally an incentive for more bogus claims, as now neither car has to be insured!

Mike

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Insurance renewal

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:32 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:55 pmJesus Christ!

That's literally an incentive for more bogus claims, as now neither car has to be insured!

Mike
Well that's the EU for you! Which just seems to confirm it's time to leave. :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

bowler

Insurance renewal

Post by bowler » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:00 am

My insurance went up £100, rang to query/cancel ended up £2 cheaper than last year same company same cover
Its a game but very annoying i use a broker thought they should get the best price first time round (57 and still nieve )

GBZ4

Insurance renewal

Post by GBZ4 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:14 pm

I’ve just renewed my insurance using a multi-car policy by LV, first time I’ve done a multi-car. Both the Z4 and the 440i with named drivers, protected NCB and personal injury cover no voluntary excess just policy excess (£150 & £200 respectively). The cost is unreal £590.06. :thumbsup:
2016 E89 18i Roadster - gone and forgotten