Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2009 Z4 35i Let the DIY and slight cosmetic modding begin.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:54 pm

Some amount of work.
The plastic surround on your car around the stereo is completely different from ours.
Our stereo doesnt have a surround, its all in one piece, and the only extra part is underneath the stereo.
I wonder if its because ours doesnt have idrive.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:58 pm

A) very badly cared for car by the prior owner
B) glad to see man maths in action where passion for the car is concerned

sachak

Post by sachak » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:00 am

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Its been one hell of a learning experience, if I didn't have such a deep love for the E89 Z4 35i this car would have been given away for anything else LONG time ago.

Anyways so last night I decided to try tackle a problem that has been bugging me for a while, my steering wheel makes a weird buzzing/squealing sound when I turn it when the car is stationary or I'm turning into a parking etc.
I tried spraying WD40 in behind the steering wheel before to no avail so last night I unplugged the battery and decided to see how this steering wheel comes off and see if I can find the problem.

So after struggling for around half an hour to 45 mins I finally figured out the trick to releasing the air bag! :headbang:
airbag off.jpg
airbag off.jpg (185.2 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
airbag mechanisim.jpg
airbag mechanisim.jpg (132.65 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
center bolt removal.jpg
center bolt removal.jpg (144.48 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
And its off!
steering wheel off.jpg
steering wheel off.jpg (170.07 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
So I was fiddling around and then this happened :thumbsdown: :headbang: :cry:
FML.jpg
FML.jpg (100.11 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
FMLx2.jpg
FMLx2.jpg (118.54 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
So I had no idea WTF this was or how the hell to put this alien puzzle back together and after hours and hours and hours of fiddling I ended up doing some damage. I think I actually shed a tear or two! as I had no idea what this was or how to fix it and more importantly how expensive it is going to be to fix and how the hell I'm even going to get my car to someone who can fix this! I really started to panic!
So I left the garage and went into my house and tried to relax and calm down and think! I finally came to the conclusion that this is just a carrier signal wire for the controls on the steering wheel and the air bag. This helped me relax. I initially thought it was the mechanism that controls the tension of the steering wheel when you flip the car into sports mode. :headbang:

Apon figuring this out I ripped out the clear ribbon that I just couldn't get back inside which left me with just two actual ribbon wires that I tried for another couple of hours to wrap around this wheel mechanism to no avail, I started to panic again but kept calming myself down to try and do it slowly and carefully till I finally got it right and put it all back inside.

Now keep in mind that I had no idea that this thing had a special certain amount of rotations in each direction, plus it was very late the sun was coming out and I needed a car for work so I put it all back together and switched the car on being very wary of the air bag popping on me from doing something incorrectly!

Everything seemed fine! I then turned the steering wheel all the way to the left and that was fine! And then I turned it to the right.....FML is all I have to say.....there were actually no words to describe the pain and suffering I was feeling at that point in time, honestly I really just wanted a magical time machine to manifest itself into my garage and port me back to yesterday lol! FFS

So yea I broke the plastic locking pin that keeps this unit in place and manage to twist the one ribbon infront of the other and flip it. Needless to say it was a catastrophic failure.

Anyways I tried to fix it and when I pulled the thing apart it didn't look good. Anyways long story short I managed to twist the cables back the right way round and I managed to break the front plastic retaining bracket and and and.
But I did put it all back together and started the car and the air bag didnt explode in my face and crack my face in half. so that was the silver lining. Have to always be positive haha :lol:

Anyways nothing on the steering wheel worked after that, no paddle shift, no multifunction controls, no nothing, how I didn't get an air bag light is still a mystery to me I wont lie.

So I woke up and phoned BMW and that was just funny so I left that idea to rest and phoned a scrap yard that I know had a z4 they were stripping and sent the guy some photos and to my surprise he had this part for me! so I went to fetch it and here is my repair process that I will post on the next post.

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:07 am

Wow some great DIY work in here OP!

Really liking the exhaust tips! Did you weld these on? Do you have any more pics of these and a link? They look ace :)

sachak

Post by sachak » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:11 am

Before I continue I need to state why this thing came apart and was making a noise.
It was apparent that it had been taken apart before and all the ribbon was just stuffed inside incorrectly, the wire ones were correct but the clear ribbon that holds everything in place correctly was stuffed in and crinkled to the max and full of some dirty grease and you could see repair work was done to it which I will show you guys shortly.

Here is the new Unit that I bought this morning!
new Unit2.jpg
new Unit2.jpg (122.87 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
steering wheel removed and you can clearly see the cracked front retainer bracket that I managed to break!
unit that I cracked.jpg
unit that I cracked.jpg (152.57 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
The locking mechanism that I broke...FML
broke this too FML.jpg
broke this too FML.jpg (155.44 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
Make sure you pull the steering column all the way forward using the adjusting lever so that you can get to the back to unclip the plastic steering column surround.

Start unclipping the steering column surround.
unclip front to back.jpg
unclip front to back.jpg (169.5 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
place screwdriver in the back now and gently twist, it doesn't take much force at all, be careful not to damage the plastic.
gentle twist.jpg
gentle twist.jpg (157.21 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
And the top part is off!
top is off.jpg
top is off.jpg (135.25 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
Place a screwdriver under the metal plate in the diagram to pry the bottom cover loose.
screwdriver under metal plate and pry.jpg
screwdriver under metal plate and pry.jpg (151.5 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
View from the bottom.
view from bottom metal plate pry.jpg
view from bottom metal plate pry.jpg (140.18 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
And bam its off, easy as that!
and its off.jpg
and its off.jpg (182.6 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
Start removing all 4 Torx screws as per the pics.
remove all 4 torx screws.jpg
remove all 4 torx screws.jpg (179.13 KiB) Viewed 1306 times

sachak

Post by sachak » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:19 am

Get something to support the top cover to make accessing these torx screws and clips easier
support top cover.jpg
support top cover.jpg (182.91 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
Start prying all the clips loose after removal of the torx screws.
removing tiny clips 1.jpg
removing tiny clips 1.jpg (184.08 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
Here is an exaggerated example of where the clips are, I didn't care to brake this clip as im removing this piece of junk anyways.
exagerated clip placement diagram.jpg
exagerated clip placement diagram.jpg (140.92 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
pry center clip only.jpg
pry center clip only.jpg (152.05 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
bottom hidden clip.jpg
bottom hidden clip.jpg (120.61 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
A view of the mechanism without the covers.
free at last.jpg
free at last.jpg (144.2 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
Removal complete, there was a wire plug that needed to be removed I forgot to photograph that, its very east to see and you will know which one it is upon removal.
Removal complete.jpg
Removal complete.jpg (160 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
And the new part is on.
new part fitted.jpg
new part fitted.jpg (148.63 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
Right assembly is the reverse of the assembly but here is the unit fitted and covers all back on
back together.jpg
back together.jpg (146.61 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
I will show what the old unit looked like inside in the next post.

sachak

Post by sachak » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:25 am

Offending part that made me question life! :headbang:
offending part.jpg
offending part.jpg (211.25 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
how I managed to break it 2.jpg
how I managed to break it 2.jpg (148.97 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
how I managed to break it.jpg
how I managed to break it.jpg (140.58 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
The locking pin rocker that I broke...FML again.
clip that I broke and tried to fix.jpg
clip that I broke and tried to fix.jpg (188.45 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
And here you can see the previous repair work that was done to this thing.
previous shit repair job.jpg
previous shit repair job.jpg (100.8 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
Anyways its all back together and working great. However the sound is still there when I turn so I need to ask BMW what that is when I take it to them next week.

On other news, while at the scrap yard fetching this new part I asked the guys to look in my bonet and listen to where the knocking sound was coming from that I hear and feel when I move my steering wheel left or right. They checked and upon first views they thought it was the universal joint, the next guy came and looked and noticed that the steering rack was loose.

It appeared that when BMW fitted my new turbos they forgot to tighten the steering rack! the one bolt was almost completely out, a few more drives and it would have fallen out completely.
Anyways they tightened everything up and all I can say is WOW. In all the time I have had this car its never felt so incredibly stable to drive and sold. It no longer pulls left and right and I no longer have to fight with it to go straight!

Furthermore it no longer makes knocking sounds when I go over speed bumps or hit small bumps in the road or driveways etc. its just PERFECT!

sachak

Post by sachak » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:27 am

sunnydays wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:07 am Wow some great DIY work in here OP!

Really liking the exhaust tips! Did you weld these on? Do you have any more pics of these and a link? They look ace :)

Yes I had them welded on, I will try find some pics tomorrow and post them up and give you a link. I actually bought them from a local supplier here in south africa but I have seen them online elsewhere.

sachak

Post by sachak » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:33 am

mcbutler wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:39 pm You have put a great deal of effort into this post and it is of interest to all no matter what model in so far as the dash work etc is concerned. Many thanks for that.

Not meaning to be critical but I think you should have got rid of the car a lot earlier on, took the loss which considering the time, effort and cash you have invested would have been a lot more economical, then gone and found a decent car.

More worryingly in pic img_2686_2517450973.jpg I noted you have 'take my breath away' from Top Gun playing on your iDrive :poke:

Lets hope (and pray) you are finally there.
I did try get rid of the car at one stage but the mechanic working on it had my car for almost 2 months so another z4 that I wanted to try trade mine on was gone by the time I got my car back and besides my turbos then went two weeks later! was a stuff up from hell.

haha I like that song! I was born in the 80's dammit! :rofl: its strange how I used to hate all that music when I was a kid and my parents used to play it and now I enjoy some of it lol.

Im getting there slowly with this car its starting to become a very clean example of a E89 Z4, few more things here and there.

I would like to colour code the mirror covers to the same black as my car. Not sure what BMW were thinking when they decided that they should make them silver on a black car but whatever.

sachak

Post by sachak » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:33 am

benv6 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:38 pm That is some dedication on a different level mate !! Well done !

The work you have done on the plastics is truly amazing, What a result !! :thumbsup:
Thank you :)

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:34 am

sachak wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:33 am
mcbutler wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:39 pm You have put a great deal of effort into this post and it is of interest to all no matter what model in so far as the dash work etc is concerned. Many thanks for that.

Not meaning to be critical but I think you should have got rid of the car a lot earlier on, took the loss which considering the time, effort and cash you have invested would have been a lot more economical, then gone and found a decent car.

More worryingly in pic img_2686_2517450973.jpg I noted you have 'take my breath away' from Top Gun playing on your iDrive :poke:

Lets hope (and pray) you are finally there.
I did try get rid of the car at one stage but the mechanic working on it had my car for almost 2 months so another z4 that I wanted to try trade mine on was gone by the time I got my car back and besides my turbos then went two weeks later! was a stuff up from hell.

haha I like that song! I was born in the 80's dammit! :rofl: its strange how I used to hate all that music when I was a kid and my parents used to play it and now I enjoy some of it lol.

Im getting there slowly with this car its starting to become a very clean example of a E89 Z4, few more things here and there.

I would like to colour code the mirror covers to the same black as my car. Not sure what BMW were thinking when they decided that they should make them silver on a black car but whatever.
My mirrors are black, car is silver. I just popped off the covers, got some plastic primer, gloss black spray and superfine wet and dry from Halfords. Popped off the covers and sprayed them up. They look great alongside the black A frame pillars and with my gloss black front grilles (again DIY painted).
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

sachak

Post by sachak » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:18 am

mcbutler wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:34 am
My mirrors are black, car is silver. I just popped off the covers, got some plastic primer, gloss black spray and superfine wet and dry from Halfords. Popped off the covers and sprayed them up. They look great alongside the black A frame pillars and with my gloss black front grilles (again DIY painted).
[/quote]

Cool sounds like a plan although I will be sending the car in for a paint correction and detail and maybe a ceramic coat, while they doing that they are going to spray my kidney grills gloss black and colour code my mirrors to the car and spray the Msport bumper and fit it for me.

I don't trust my spray work to come out looking professional enough.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:45 pm

That work on the air bag sounds like a nightmare - not sure if you were brave or bonkers attempting it :D
Is there any part of that car that hasn't been messed up by previous botched jobs?
Impressive work and great pictures :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:24 pm

Good grief man, I hope that thing was cheap :?
That's got to be the most widely bodged Z4 I've ever seen, that welding! :rofl:

You deserve a medal for taking it on and good to see it's heading in the right direction :thumbsup:

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:59 pm

Your lights looks Amazing!!