Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hi Beam assistant standard or option?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:16 pm

So I was just thinking while cleaning the car how good it would be if hi beams could automatically turn on.

I then found out this was an actual feature :)

Is this standard or an optional extra? How can I tell if my car has it?
And how can it be activated?

Thanks!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:24 pm

sunnydays wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:16 pm So I was just thinking while cleaning the car how good it would be if hi beams could automatically turn on.

I then found out this was an actual feature :)

Is this standard or an optional extra? How can I tell if my car has it?
And how can it be activated?

Thanks!
Hi, enter your vin into the Bmw website & it should tell you what options the car was specced with :thumbsup:
Rob
Last edited by Smartbear on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

willgill

Post by willgill » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:45 pm

It's an option and it's rubbish and not worth the large option fee :) You will know you have it (aside from decoding your VIN) by pressing the light stalk forward, if your high beam light is blue, you don't have it. If it's orange, then you do, congrats, you will now dazzle 50% of oncoming cars :poke:

Don't get me wrong the newer BMWs laser and adaptive lighting is fairly amazing, the version fitted to the e89; isn't.

huytonman

Post by huytonman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:06 pm

willgill wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:45 pm It's an option and it's rubbish and not worth the large option fee :) You will know you have it (aside from decoding your VIN) by pressing the light stalk forward, if your high beam light is blue, you don't have it. If it's orange, then you do, congrats, you will now dazzle 50% of oncoming cars :poke:

Don't get me wrong the newer BMWs laser and adaptive lighting is fairly amazing, the version fitted to the e89; isn't.
I wouldn't call it rubbish but compared to my F11 520 which has incredibly effective adaptive lights the Z4 feel a bit old tech in comparison, work ok and so far nobody has flashed me due to dazzling. As stated however if I was buying new I wouldn't have specced this option..as a "free" option to me as a used buyer its nice to have.
Keith

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:14 pm

E89 tech is 10 years old.

My Merc has active matrix led ILS and they’re frankly the best lights I’ve ever used. Cornering, adaptive field, reach. They draw black boxes around other cars and illuminate everything else as full beam.

Awesome.

willgill

Post by willgill » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:22 pm

huytonman wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:06 pm
willgill wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:45 pm It's an option and it's rubbish and not worth the large option fee :) You will know you have it (aside from decoding your VIN) by pressing the light stalk forward, if your high beam light is blue, you don't have it. If it's orange, then you do, congrats, you will now dazzle 50% of oncoming cars :poke:

I wouldn't call it rubbish but compared to my F11 520 which has incredibly effective adaptive lights the Z4 feel a bit old tech in comparison, work ok and so far nobody has flashed me due to dazzling. As stated however if I was buying new I wouldn't have specced this option..as a "free" option to me as a used buyer its nice to have.
Keith
I personally think it's awful, I feel embarrassed to use it because half the time it fails to detect other cars and dazzles them or goes to the other extreme and dips down due to reflections from road signs.

If it helps it's almost exactly the same in my 2014 rs6 which seems to have adaptive lighting designed in the dark ages (pardon the pun) :rofl:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:03 pm

I wanted this when I specced up my 35is August 2016 but couldn’t get it. I based my wish on the system fitted on our 335 we bought in June 2015 but if the system doesn't work as well, I've had a narrow squeak!
Ive never been flashed in the 335 and would like it on the 35is if only it worked as well.
The software on even the later E89 is a little bit old hat and lacking in some respects - ie the sat nav doesn't go into Night Mode automatically :thumbsdown:
Last edited by ronk on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like my car doesnt have them, but it sounds like im not missing out on much :)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:02 am

If its anything like our X6 there is an extra setting on the light switch that sets auto lights. So the switch has off/side lights/main beam/auto.
The auto high beam is set by switching to auto lights and then using the stalk to flick the high beam on.
Once this has been done an extra light is on the dash and the high beam will switch on and off itself when there is nothing in front of you or coming towards you.
Any time I have used it it has always switched off before blinding anybody so its quite sensitive.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:19 am

On the 335 (July 2015) the main rotary switch is set to Auto and the lower button on the end of the left hand stalk is pressed. This puts A / lights symbol on the panel - when it’s dark enough and traffic free the main beam light up with the blue symbol on the dash - the lights swoosh to one side or dip as appropriate .
They’ve never failed yet or had anybody flash .

A clever system and a real party piece in my book :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: