Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Does the e89 have a gm5 module?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:49 am

Ive been having a few problems with my central locking.
Sometimes the car doesn’t unlock from the remote. I have comfort access and have replaced the battery in each remote.
Still the problem persists.
Luckily I can get into the car by using the door handle (comfort).

Ive Googled it and seen a lot of talk about gm5 module solenoids failing on different BMWs. Does a 2013 comfort access e89 have a gm5 module?

As always, any advice appreciated!

bob4333

Post by bob4333 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:07 am

Anymore symptoms?

When it fails to work, can you hear any solenoids actuating when you press or is everything just silent?

When it does work "Sometimes the car doesn’t unlock......." does it work perfectly, ie everything unlocks?

Can we assume the car battery's in good health?

When you gain access via the door handle does everything unlock? If so, logic suggests that the car is sensing the key presence but has an / off relationship with the remote signal from the key fob. I'd look at whatever is supposed to be receiving the signal.

Is this what's led you to the GM5 module?

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:36 am

Thanks Bob....

It doesnt happen everytime. Sometimes I point the remote at the car, press unlock and nothing at all happens, total silence, nothing.

Then I walk up to the car, lift the door handle and the car unlocks as normal.

The next day, all is fine and then at some point it fails again.

There has never been an issue with the ignition (keyless) side of things, just the unlocking.

Cant say Ive had the issue with locking either, just unlocking.....

With regards to the battery, I did have a few little glitches when I first got it but now charge the battery on a conditioner every couple of weeks and its been fine. However, Im not ruling it out.....

Did a bit of research and noted other bmws with similar issues which were caused by gm5 module solenoid failures.

bob4333

Post by bob4333 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:24 am

This may help if you decide to drill down into the detail. Quite an absorbing read when you get started.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Have you looked at the listing on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REPAIR-SERVI ... 1191303651, not so much for having it done here but for comparison of symptoms and insight into the 2 relays on the module (assuming your car has the GM5)?

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Yes, looked at the ebay trader who can overhaul.

He tells me the e89 has a different set up and that he has never heard of the issue on e89s, so I could be barking up the wrong tree.

I think I am going to keep a log of when it happens to see if there are any common scenarios.

Also, Im edging closer to buying a new battery as Im not ruling out that its one of those unusual glitches that appears when a battery has headed towards retirement.....

Thanks for the link above, had a read and theres nothing that stands out, but lots of things it could be! The fact that its intermittent is not helping at all!