Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter Tyres advice appreciated

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Tamman69

Winter Tyres advice appreciated

Post by Tamman69 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:52 am

Hi All

I'm working in the Balkans for the next couple of years and it looks like I am going to have to take on the winter tyres at some point. Being from the UK this is not something I have ever had to deal with before (though we could have done with them last year!).

Bad news initially is that due to mixed rims - I got the Turbine 292s, I need to buy the complete wheel according to the local dealer. For those interested the quote was 635 Euros for Bridgestone and 620 Euros for Pirelli per tyre, this includes fitting labour. Not exactly cheap.

First question. Assuming I am prepared to go 'ugly' for the winter can I fit wheels from a cheaper manufacturer safely? I've got better things to spend the money on frankly. Recommendations welcome!

Second question. Does anyone have experience of using winter tyres much? Any advice on when to fit, significance of advantage etc. appreciated. Outside of town it is pretty hilly/mountainous here with crap roads - it may be that putting the car in the garage for the winter and taking a few taxis / car hire would actually be more cost-effective than purchasing...

Many thanks

Tamman69

Color

Re: Winter Tyres advice appreciated

Post by Color » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:59 pm

I can share some experiences about winter tyres, for what it's worth (some years driving a Z4 in snowy conditions).

First about the 'cheap' manufacturer for wheels: What worked well for me was non-BMW winter rims (alutec), not the cheapest nor the most expensive. For tires I had the best in test, I would not mess with the rubber quality as it will be vital to how the car performs on a winter road and well as braking distance.

- Go with slim tyres, i.e low thread width, this will improve traction.
If you have unequal thread width for summer tyres that is ok, but use equal width for all winter tyres.
(I had 225/255 summer tires and 225 all round winter tires)

- I will usually change to winter tyres after the first night of ice forming on car windows at night. When sunny day temperature drops to about max 5-10 'C (Avoid driving with winter tyres at summer, damages the rubber)

- Check the speed rating of your winter tyres and abide by it - winter tyres usually have a lower rating and exceeding it might damage the rubber and affect your tires winter performance.

Some advice on driving during winter:

- Always leave the traction control ON, unless you plan to go power sliding :) - actually I do a lot more power sliding at winter, good way to practice

- Take extra care driving when it has just snowed or it's snowing.

- If you plan to go driving in serious snowy conditions/crappy roads which are not being regularly plowed/salted, bring a small foldable shovel and a large pack of salt and/or coarse sand just in case you get stuck (The added weight in the trunk from these items also helps to improve rear wheel traction).

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:23 pm

All of what Color mentioned above... :thumbsup:
Tamman69 wrote:First question. Assuming I am prepared to go 'ugly' for the winter can I fit wheels from a cheaper manufacturer safely? I've got better things to spend the money on frankly. Recommendations welcome!
I see nothing wrong with rims other than BMW rims that meet all the safety standards. For a non "M" Z4 I would suggest 8" X 17" rims with 225 X 45/17 winter tires.
Second question. Does anyone have experience of using winter tyres much? Any advice on when to fit, significance of advantage etc. appreciated. Outside of town it is pretty hilly/mountainous here with crap roads -
I would suspect I have about as much experience as anyone on this board with winter tires having driven the past 6 winters on winter tires in a Z4. Winter tires today are really very good. The biggest problem with a Z4 is snow that is much over 10cm in depth. Once the roads are plowed with pack snow and ice remaining a good set of winter tires will get you around just fine.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Tamman69

Post by Tamman69 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Fantastic replies :thumbsup:

Thank you both for taking the time to respond, I have some ammunition to go forwards with now.

ChuckB

Post by ChuckB » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:14 pm

No one mentioned it, but what about the TPM module in each wheel, I know not having wheels with it installed might be an issue, but I'm not sure how big an issue it would be.

The reason I brought this up is I pick up a new Z4 Tuesday and will need to get snow tires, I was told either purchase wheels with a TPM modle in them, or demount the summer wheels and pull the TMP modules out of them. Not sure which way to go
Black Carbon Metalic 2007 120d Limited Ed
Black 2009 sDrive3.0

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:30 pm

ChuckB, my suggestion would be to go ahead and spring for another set of TMP modules. The cost to demount the tires and then remount them again in the spring is going to cost almost as much as the TMP modules.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos