Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fuel Pump

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
m999psw

Fuel Pump

Post by m999psw » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:22 am

Just fo information
I had my fuel pump - the one in the tank - replaced a few months ago because it was making strange sound.
Last week it started making the same whirring/whinning noise so the dealer had a look and have showed me the BMW notice that says not to change the fuel pumps as the fault is in the ECU running the pump at idle and that a new software patch would be available by the end of the month.

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Fuel Pump

Post by ksher » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:33 am

Is your car 35i?
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

EdP

Post by EdP » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:10 am

m999psw wrote:Just fo information
I had my fuel pump - the one in the tank - replaced a few months ago because it was making strange sound.
Last week it started making the same whirring/whinning noise so the dealer had a look and have showed me the BMW notice that says not to change the fuel pumps as the fault is in the ECU running the pump at idle and that a new software patch would be available by the end of the month.
You can not fix noisy low pressure fuel pump with a software patch.

My cars fuel pump started to make de whining noise first. Then after some weeks the whining changed to a 'humming' one. There was no fault code logged. The humming sound was simply too loud when the fuel tank was less than 1/3 full. So BMW replaced the fuel pump.

EdP

m999psw

Post by m999psw » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:07 pm

Yes it is a 35i, and no I am not convinced a software patch will cure the noise but the dealer said that they are not to change any fuel pumps until the fix. I will wait and see.

Paul

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:38 pm

Is it the case that at idle the ECU is running the pump slower, and that's why the noise is being heard? I can see why a software update might fix it. Is the noise constant or only heard at idle? This seems to be a long standing issue with this engine.
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

DAGSZ4

Post by DAGSZ4 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:27 pm

I brought my 35i for service today for a noisy in tank fuel pump. I just got a call from my service advisor a short time ago and they found the rear in tank fuel pump to be bad and they having one shipped in overnight. My car should be back in service sometime tomorrow. I would call your dealer back about the bulletin stating the dealers were told not to replace any more low pressure rear fuel pumps.

davidmbell

Post by davidmbell » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:20 am

Bringing up an old thread but my car has been in for a new o2 sensor, when I collected it afterwards I now have dreaded LPFP whine.

Its been back for them to listen to it, and in order for them to do the repair they're taking a brand new 35i from the showroom and sticking them both on the ramps, to see if mine is 'not normal' - anyone in the UK had this and had their dealer replace the tank please contact me ASAP with the dealer in question and your reg so that I can give this to my dealer to confirm this isn't just me being crazy!

Thanks,

David
PS here's the sound mine makes http://www.davidmbell.com/z4/whine.mov
< < < < FOR SALE > > > >
2009 SDrive35i / Deep Sea Blue / Pure White Design etc etc etc
http://www.z4bmw.co.uk

EdP

Post by EdP » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:00 am

Your fuel pump noise sounds differently than the noise made by my previous fuel pump. It sounds higher and more constant in pitch.

DAGSZ4:
I would call your dealer back about the bulletin stating the dealers were told not to replace any more low pressure rear fuel pumps.
I guess BMW receives a lot of replaced pumps to analyse. They could have made the conclusion that these fuel pumps are no threat to fail, only noisy.

m999psw

Post by m999psw » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:33 pm

Mine should be back tomorrow with the fuel pump software fix, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Paul

davidmbell

Post by davidmbell » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:58 am

m999psw wrote:Mine should be back tomorrow with the fuel pump software fix, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Paul
I'd appreciate that Paul - thank you.

After being told that the garage were not going to replace the fuel pump/tank on my car - due to them deeming it to be normal - I subsequently complained and said I was not prepared to accept their decision and would be taking the issue up with BMW UK. The Dealer Principle has been CC'd into these messsages (as a lot has had to be done via email).

Anyway, yesterday afternoon I had an email from Servicing after they've been trying to sort what to do next. This was to Servicing from the Workshop Controller:

"I would first of all like to establish if the noise level from the fuel pump remains at a constant pitch whilst the vehicle is been operated or if there is variation due to operating cycles or temperature. Can we book the car in for three days making my vehicle available to Mr Bell if required, I will meet with Mr Bell to exchange vehicles if that is more convienient.When the vehicle is on site we will test to establish if the noise is fuel pump related or if it could be fuel tank vent system or insulation issues. I will order a replacement fuel pump to enable immediate replacement if required, as a result of diagnostic test carried out by technical staff. Please advise on arrangements made with Mr Bell to resolve this outstanding issue with his vehicle."

So I am going to book it in next week and hopefully we'll get the thing sorted.

David
< < < < FOR SALE > > > >
2009 SDrive35i / Deep Sea Blue / Pure White Design etc etc etc
http://www.z4bmw.co.uk