Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

NEW Z4 - Anyone else having constant problems?!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
sal5102

Post by sal5102 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone else is having issues with the new z4? I purchased my 2.5 litre automatic in June 2009 after my slk was stolen and although i much prefer the Z4 and how it drives, in the three years i owned the slk i didnt have a single problem, my z4 has been in 3 times to the dealership with various problems.

The first problem was that the whole light panel on the left side at the back of the car had to be replaced, the second i had a problem with the boot and it went in again, yesterday whilst driving my computer went made and eventually i ended up with 5 warning lights and the handbrake was completely disabled.

I live approx 12 miles away from the nearest dealership so its quite annoying having to go back and forward (always going in first for diagnosis then i have to wait for a replacement part so doing at least two journeys for each fault). Yesterday i called the dealership and then the bmw emergenecy service (i am covered for 5 years) and they both encouraged me to drive the car in to the dealership even though my handbrake was not working at all. I managed to get someone to come out who, once he discovered it would have to go in as he couldnt fix it put real pressure on me to drive it in, clearly he didnt want to have to wait for it to be collected. I feel really upset with bmw, i am a young girl (23) and was not prepared to drive a car without a handbrake working - yet they repeatedly put pressure on me to do so.

Car is still with the dealership now have not heard a thing yet - so will call them in an hour and find out whats going on!

Has anyone else had similar issues? I just feel the car & the service has been a dissappointment - and franlky i expected more?

P.s i have only done 8k miles in it!

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: NEW Z4 - Anyone else having constant problems?!

Post by gannet » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:16 pm

welcome along...

sorry to hear you are having trouble :(

The zed for me is among the most reliable I've had.

Hopefully things get sorted for you soon, probably just a faulty sensor.
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Kryton

Post by Kryton » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:34 pm

No problems so far 4k miles :thumbsup:

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Sorry to hear about your problems with the car. Had mine for more than a year now and the only real fault I have has is that the boot cover that fixes in place when the roof is down is de-laminating a little, but the dealer will sort this once I get the car to him.
SDRIVE35i Space Grey, 7 speed DCT, adaptive M suspension, V Spoke 19" wheels, Nav pro with HDD, Comfort access and most of the other toys!

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:46 pm

Welcome.

Only issue for me was one of the rear light clusters filling with water, but they replaced the unit.

Good point about the e-brake. I'm more worried about it sticking on and not releasing, for whatever reason! Could be embarassing if you are in traffic.
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

lazerium

Post by lazerium » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:21 pm

Sorry to hear about your probs, I must say mines been 100% trouble free so its sound like you might have been unlucky.

Driving with the e-handbreak not working should be OK though as I believe the manual models have an automatic hold facility for hill-starts so it really is only needed for parking
Soon: 2021- G29 M40i, Sapphire Black & Black
Gone: 2010-2016 E89 23i, DSB & Ivory White
Gone: 2007-2010 E85 3.0si, Carbon Black

shambolic

Post by shambolic » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:46 pm

Only had both light clusters replaced in first few weeks as filled with water as a few on here have had same thing.
9 months into ownership and 8k miles still not broken in yet :driving:
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!

iwatchlive

Post by iwatchlive » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi Sal, I have had a few probs with mine, see PM for some BMW contacts, this may help get things sorted for you

regards

iWatchLive

iwatchlive

Post by iwatchlive » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:25 am

any chance of an update SAL, have you tried BMW Customer Services??

roofless

Post by roofless » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Mine has been in for a week after the engine management light came on and car stopped. Two days to install software upgrade and from having read posts elsewhere on the forum i'm sure that was to do with the turbo adjustment. BMW say one turbo was compensating for the other. I also have condensation in the rear left light cluster and am getting BMW to change this when the car is serviced in 10 days time. Just on 23,000 miles but this is my 3rd BMW and the one i have had the most trouble with. Also have the usual BMW convertible problem that the windows don't function properly and come part way down intermittently after putting roof up or down.
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:40 am

Roofless - For the window problem see this thread - http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 23&t=20426 no solution but BMW are 'aware' of it.
SDRIVE35i Space Grey, 7 speed DCT, adaptive M suspension, V Spoke 19" wheels, Nav pro with HDD, Comfort access and most of the other toys!

Shidevil

Post by Shidevil » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:58 am

Sorry to hear about your issues, tbh handbrake is easy to live without for a short drive.

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:24 am

Hope this does get fixed; without out too much additional grief.

This is my second BMW and not had any major issues with either... however my mums new E90 has had countless issues so far - from the active cruise failing; to steering column warnings... and she has done under 5k miles.

The only time i use my handbrake is when i park... so i'm sure you'd be ok to drive without it.

chopper

Post by chopper » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:47 pm

I have condensation in my headlights... Should i drop it in to the dealer ? Only months old
Or should I just wait another couple of months till service time ?
Z4 2.3 Sdrive Msport - Melbourne red, pure white design, 19" rims

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:09 am

I would at least notify them that you have a problem that way it is on record. Otherwise, it depends on how convenient it is foe you to get to the dealers - looking outside my door this morning that won't be too easy for a few days :evil: