Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

IPOD confusion.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Ziggy4

IPOD confusion.

Post by Ziggy4 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:10 pm

Hi all,

In the next month I intend to get the old iphone/pod touch hooked up to the stereo.

The problem is I'm a bit confused with all the info offered on here and require clarification if poss?

I'm after the best setup as poss with full access to control and browse all tracks on the ipod via the head unit not just a number of playlists.

I believe the Intravee does this but the price seems a little steep and I can only find one supplier.

Does the cheaper dice, denison and connects 2 units offer this and has anyone tried the grom unit?

I have the navigation professional system with 6 cd changer (i presume I'll lose this) and hi fi speaker system that has 10 speakers not sure if it has that equaliser thingy or not and if this even matters?

The z already has B.T so this is not required.

I have bought these type of adaptors for my previous cars and have either ended up returning them as they're advitised for the wrong spec of car or they only play playlists and don’t want to make the same mistakes again so help would be appreciated :wink:
Ziggy4

E85 3.0 auto/108's/Silver with lots of unessential but very much appreciated electric things.

bluespit

Re: IPOD confusion.

Post by bluespit » Tue May 08, 2012 11:17 pm

Hi, I can do everything you ask with the standard setup. No I drive just prof cd and USB 3.5mm jack in arm rest. Track, artist, album anything on the iPod

Mine is 2011 (nov) build though

I drive would be easier but not offer anything else that I need
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue May 08, 2012 11:37 pm

Looks like this is in the wrong section, should be in E85 not E89.

I used to have Dension and it worked well, Intravee offers other features but audio related.

Unless you havenav though scrolling through tracks will be hard.

Ziggy4

Post by Ziggy4 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:42 am

srhutch wrote:Looks like this is in the wrong section, should be in E85 not E89.
What a bafoon. I will repost in correct section, sorry. :oops:
Ziggy4

E85 3.0 auto/108's/Silver with lots of unessential but very much appreciated electric things.

Andrew*Debbie

Post by Andrew*Debbie » Wed May 09, 2012 6:43 am

For an e89, all you need is the correct cable:

The models, equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Subject to change. YMMV.

Carol M
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Carol M » Wed May 09, 2012 10:39 am

Andrew*Debbie wrote:For an e89, all you need is the correct cable:
Where did you get your cable from?

bobby69

Post by bobby69 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:14 pm

Carol M wrote:
Andrew*Debbie wrote:For an e89, all you need is the correct cable:
got mine of ebay for £12.60 free postage works fine

kevinmarkwhite

Post by kevinmarkwhite » Wed May 09, 2012 8:21 pm

Has the E89 always had USB as standard, or is that just on the later models?

For the OP - if your car has BT but not USB, it might be worth investigating if USB can be added. I'm sure on some cars BT and USB use the same control box (MULF or something) and if one function is missing, it might be possible to add quite easily. Having integrated USB would probably be the best solution for you if possible as any 3rd party option is adding extra kit.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed May 09, 2012 8:25 pm

USB became standard last year, was optional before that. As the OP is talking original generation (e85) cars, options are limited but DICE and Alpine options are the norm.

Andrew*Debbie

Post by Andrew*Debbie » Thu May 10, 2012 1:52 pm

Carol M wrote:

BMW dealer on eBay
The models, equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Subject to change. YMMV.

shambolic

Post by shambolic » Thu May 10, 2012 3:41 pm

Using that cable can you use head unit to control iPod then?
I have mine plugged in like that on two separate cables so can only control volume.
I will need to look as I'm sure it's a 12v to USB adaptor I am using too :?
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu May 10, 2012 3:44 pm

Yes using the official BMW cable allows you 'music collection' like access to the iPod, searching of tracks, information display etc. Bought it from day one... hardly use it tho as I prefer the sound from the onboard HD Music Collection system... which I can also voice control (you can't voice control the iPod for some reason).

shambolic

Post by shambolic » Thu May 10, 2012 3:59 pm

Just looked again I don't have USB I have aux and 12v connection using a 12v to USB adaptor to charge iPod and it plays through Aux.
Mine is a 59 plate Jan 2010 so not standard back then :thumbsdown:
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!

cjp2k

Post by cjp2k » Thu May 10, 2012 6:21 pm

I have a 2011 z4 and the normal apple cable works better than the bmw ipod cable, i get album art etc

Doesnt seem to work for anyone else however... :(
Gone.....Z4 2.3 sDrive, Black, Black Leather, I drive, Sound upgrade and a couple more bits..6 cylinder symphony

Now 520d, Beige Leather, I drive, VDC, BMW Individual Wood trim, Memory Seats, Powered Boot...55mpg!

Andrew*Debbie

Post by Andrew*Debbie » Fri May 11, 2012 2:53 pm

cjp2k wrote:I have a 2011 z4 and the normal apple cable works better than the bmw ipod cable, i get album art etc

Doesnt seem to work for anyone else however... :(

Our car doesn't have Navigation or any of the phone and media options. Maybe that has something to do with it?????