Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dealers, you have to laugh..

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Dealers, you have to laugh..

Post by john-e89 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:56 pm

This is totally petty I know but today I asked the very nice sales guy I'm dealing with if he'd take a couple of photo's of the car pre-prep and e-mail them to me, well he did a 3 min video instead which is very nice of him, at the same time I asked him to put a shorter ariel on it ready for collection which is in the accessories catalogue. The video came through along with a note saying the ariel is £19.95 and is that ok to go ahead and install. I had to laugh, I really really don't care and i won't say anything but you'd think after spending £40k with them they would'nt chuck a 20 quid invoice in. Cheeky buggers! :D
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

wsmdesign

Re: Dealers, you have to laugh..

Post by wsmdesign » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:59 pm

where has the goodwill gestures gone ? you must have negotiated a good deal and left them with a poor margin to play with........

I'd email back and say I'll trade you the difference between the old and new one 8)
Last edited by wsmdesign on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:30 pm

and if he chucked it in he would think he was giving you something very special, as you say £20 on a 40K car lol

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:07 pm

You'll negotiate harder next time i shouldn't wonder!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:29 pm

Just tell your sales person that you have changed your mind and the deal is off .Then wait a wee while until the phone rings ......and he sees his nice Q1 bonus going down the plug hole
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:51 pm

They'll go wibble wibble if you do that ! :rofl:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:09 pm

Not a new sale but when we bought our e93 we were told we had done well to get a pen off them!-ffs!!!
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:16 pm

What I hav'nt mentioned is I also 'casually' mentioned that if there was a 'spare' indoor car cover lying around that I wouldn't mind if it happened to be in the boot on collection, he's never mentioned that so either it's a complete no no, probably, or you never know.....If no cover is in there and he still gives me the 20quid invoice I shall just fold my arms and give him a raised eyebrow. :D
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:04 am

It always amazes me when you buy a car and have to pay extra or haggle for a set of floor mats.
These should be included in every car.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:08 am

When you sign the deal, dont forget to put the pen straight into your pocket....
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:58 am

My last car had been damaged when I went to pick it up so I said I wasn't taking it. The salesman said to leave it with them, which I would be, and when it was sorted they would chuck in a tank of fuel to which I pointed out on the receipt that a tank of fuel was part of the price so I'd already paid for it so it wasn't a freebie from them. Honestly the cheek of them!

When I bought my first car, a mini the waiting list was so long they didn't give any discounts or incentives especially with no trade in so I negotiated to get the CD Changer chucked in for free and when it arrived I asked how it worked only to discover they hadn't fitted it and claimed it was an 'oversight'. I think they were hopeful I wouldn't remember and they wouldn't have to supply it.

I've generally got good deals and a decent gift from the dealers but yes some are as tight as they come. I was supposed to get my plates chucked in with the Z'd as it was a spur of the moment decision to buy and trade but didn't but then I was given a night in the Hilton for free so can't complain really.

Some dealers just bend over backwards and others are as tight as they come. Understandable if you've milked it.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

KERMIT1970

Post by KERMIT1970 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:16 am

I had a great experience with Harry Fairbairn Bmw Irvine. Golf Brolley in the boot,z key Ring on both my keys. Asked for a short sport ariel also fitted for me free of charge. Nice wee touches like that make it a great experience :thumbsup: :D
Cars: 2016 M4 vert YMB & X3m Comp. E30 325i Sport. Z3M

Gone
: 2014 z4 35is melbourne red & black leather
: 335d M sport Coupe Black with red leather
: z4 Coupe 3.0 si Red with Black Leather 18" CSL`s
: z3 2.2 sport

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:23 am

I agree with the sentiment, but looking at it from the other side... If you can afford a £40k car then spending an extra £20 on a short aerial shouldn't be beyond you... And youre just as tight as them expecting it to be thrown in. The whole dealership has profit margins to hit, and you're just one of thousands of customers expecting a wee bit here and a wee bit there.

Just sayin' :wink:
Last edited by Bing on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:38 am

Angie4m wrote:My last car had been damaged when I went to pick it up so I said I wasn't taking it. The salesman said to leave it with them, which I would be, and when it was sorted they would chuck in a tank of fuel to which I pointed out on the receipt that a tank of fuel was part of the price so I'd already paid for it so it wasn't a freebie from them. Honestly the cheek of them!

When I bought my first car, a mini the waiting list was so long they didn't give any discounts or incentives especially with no trade in so I negotiated to get the CD Changer chucked in for free and when it arrived I asked how it worked only to discover they hadn't fitted it and claimed it was an 'oversight'. I think they were hopeful I wouldn't remember and they wouldn't have to supply it.

I've generally got good deals and a decent gift from the dealers but yes some are as tight as they come. I was supposed to get my plates chucked in with the Z'd as it was a spur of the moment decision to buy and trade but didn't but then I was given a night in the Hilton for free so can't complain really.

Some dealers just bend over backwards and others are as tight as they come. Understandable if you've milked it.
:o Crikey what was damaged Angie? They seem to be as tight as you like as you say but then I have milked them as much as poss really, although I have had to have that total piss take wax stuff put on as they are trying to claw as much back as poss, shrugging my shoulders on that one as it's have the wax and bloody gap insurance, another con, or we won't give you as good a deal so swings and roundabouts. As Kermit says though a couple of freebies chucked in just makes it more pleasant as though they at least half give a chuff, I'll do the pen thing number 5 suggests :lol: Having said all that the sales guy is super nice, a young lad who obviously wants to keep me happy but does'nt want to rock the boat with his boss, so we'll see on pick up day what happens. It's all pretty petty really and as long as the cars spot on that's all I care about, although Angie's got me whittling now... :lol:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:41 am

Bing wrote:I agree with the sentiment, but looking at it from the other side... If you can afford a £40k car then spending and extra £20 on a short aerial shouldn't be beyond you... And youre just as tight as them expecting it to be thrown in. The whole dealership has profit margins to hit, and you're just one of thousands of customers expecting a wee bit here and a wee bit there.

Just sayin' :wink:
No that's a good point Bing, as you say every customer wants a freebie it mounts up. Fair shout. :thumbsup:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29