Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First time in a dealer not very helpful..

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
RoyS

First time in a dealer not very helpful..

Post by RoyS » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:59 pm

Well today I thought I'd make an effort to scratch the 35is itch, so I went in to a BMW garage in Wakefield. I asked to see some about prices and see what offers where available.

I've never been in to a deal to enquire about a new car before but I hope this Is'nt a regular thing that happens to everyone, I don't know if its just me that expects a little help but anyhow. The receptionist called some to show me around a z4 even though I said I already had one. I don't know if she wasnt paying attention to me or if it was a standard thing to do but that wasn't a big issue. Then I was stood around for 10 minutes while two guys outside had a casual conversation and In no rush to see me.

After one of them finally walked inside he said are you here about the Z4 which I replied yes he then said we dont have a z4 to show you around which I said was ok as I already have one he then passed me the brochures and started to walk away and said have a nice day... I mean is this normal they clearly had no interest in making an effort with me im not sure if its because im young and they didnt think I was been serious about one? I then asked before he could get away if he could show me the options on a computer and prices with various extras this seemed alot of hard work as he huffed and puffed while he turned around.

At the computer telling him the options I wasnt he just laughed at each one I said and when I said the Nav option he said you know this is going to be expensive... i just thought obviously dont try apto make assumptions on what I can and can't afford after all the options it came to £50,540 or around that figure I asked for a print out which he went to go get and have another 5 minute conversation while I was just sat there about his weekend plans... I asked about offers when he returned or deal contribution or what ever they could do as I know nobody pays full price with no discounts at all he then said no we dint do anything like that so I walked out pretty disappointed with no better place I was in as when I first went in there.

Is this normal to be treated like this or did I just get some fool with no interest or anything... He did t soeak to me about prices or anything..

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Re: First time in a dealer nit very helpful..

Post by Stark » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:06 pm

F&@£ em, and go to another dealer and tell them how awful they were, and tell the dealer principal from the vrap garage about his staff.

That will make their weekend!!

You know what, tell me the dealer and I'll do it!!

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Complain to the dealer principle and take your business elsewhere.

I've had similar with a Renault dealer - they were more interested in the footy than selling me a car - it was far too much effort for them to even go get a brochure for me, voted with my feet and left before he even came back. Went up the road to the Peugeot dealer who got the deal, much more helpful.
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

rhys4

Post by rhys4 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:12 pm

If I had that sort of experience I would phone the garage and ask to speak to the new car sales manager and explain to him what happened.That's not acceptable from any garage these days.In the good old days they often judged you on what you were wearing.I remember going to take part in a customer forum evening with Audi,who were obsessed with customer appearance and what it said about a possible sale.Those days seem far gone,but the experience you have described is not typical in my experience.

rhys4

Post by rhys4 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:12 pm

If I had that sort of experience I would phone the garage and ask to speak to the new car sales manager and explain to him what happened.That's not acceptable from any garage these days.In the good old days they often judged you on what you were wearing.I remember going to take part in a customer forum evening with Audi,who were obsessed with customer appearance and what it said about a possible sale.Those days seem far gone,but the experience you have described is not typical in my experience.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Main dealers vary so much. I'm not impressed with Sytner Leicester, very off hand and snooty receptionists. I wouldn't give them my business. Sytner Nottingham on the other hand are very friendly and helpful, I've bought 2 zeds from them.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:55 pm

Name the dealer and then this thread can be moved to 'Dealer Feedback'
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

HillWalker

Post by HillWalker » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:25 pm

dr john I had my 35is from Sytner Leicester about 3 months ago, and I don't know about the receptionists, but the sales lady named Mandy whom I dealt with could not have been more helpful, always shared a bit of banter on the emails we exchanged, :lol: despite the fact I kept changing my order, and the best bit I paid 4k less than the best offer from my dealer in Stoke

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:34 pm

I had this with Stratstone Chesterfield, rang 3 times, went in, they didn't think I was serious, well when I pick my 35is up on Monday i'm going to take it round there and show the sales manager, totally agree with Stark, it's their job to put themselves out a bit or go elsewhere.
Like Dr John says Sytner Nottingham are very helpful, receptionist puts you through straight away, and the sales guys are very friendly, they do big discounts, and tbh i'm glad I bought from them so far even if they are 35 miles away. I can give you the name of the guy i'm dealing with if you want.

Just don't ask for a free ariel...... :lol:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

RoyS

Post by RoyS » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:12 pm

Its Sandal Garage in Wakefield.. Just a quick one on the discount how much would they give towards deal contribution? Ill just go the Ipswich one when I go back down south.

shortfuse 2

Post by shortfuse 2 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:33 pm

I looked to buy a new one 35is had aload of extras on it costs was £51325 with my sons discount as well would have cost me £34000 and the sales man counldnt do enough.
deff report the salesmen to dealer principal .
:thumbsup:

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:34 pm

So Sandal hasn't changed, about 20 years ago went there to buy a 520 and got totally ignored by the snooty sales staff and I just walked out. Just kept my trusty GTV6 for another five years instead. Was many years before trying BMW again.
Mercedes in Wakefield by the way is excellent.

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:58 pm

Go back in when you've placed your order elsewhere and show him the order form, that will make his day, especially if it's near the end of the quarter and he's not hit his target :)

envy

Post by envy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:05 pm

sytner in nottingham kept me hanging around whilst a salesman was made available. after spending loads of time talking figures and not coming to an agreement, they said they would ring me back which they did the next day. we still couldnt agree so they said they would get back to me in a day or so...... they didnt, so i just went to stratstone derby on the weekend of the same week and did a deal within 20 minutes of talking to a salesman.

just keep shopping around until you find a dealership that will accommodate you. you can even phone dealerships that arent close to you, if they are any good, they can still sort you out a deal. my first z4, i did everything over the phone and flew up to glasgow to pick it up and drive it back

Jasey

Post by Jasey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:26 pm

If you don't get anywhere ringing around give Broadspeed a call :thumbsup:

They will put you in touch with someone who will treat you well & give you a great discount :D

https://broadspeed.com/