Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
scott_dog

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by scott_dog » Thu May 18, 2017 12:56 pm

Is there anyone on the forum that can do the programming in SCOTLAND (Tayside)?

Hello. I have a 20i E89 and have bought the stalks and the cruise control steering column shroud. My BMW dealer tells me this is impossible to program in an E89 and will not attempt it. I can fit the parts but I don't have the software or the skill to program the car after fitting.

Any help / comments appreciated.

Scott

Tumnus

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Tumnus » Thu May 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Hopefully someone on here can do the coding for you, alternatively there's a chap called Wibbles on babybmw.net who will code it remotely, though you may need a laptop and DCAN cable for him to do it.

You can contact him here - [email protected], I think he charges around £70 to do the coding for you.
CC retrofit, LUX 180 Angel Eyes, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, BMW Performance Grilles, LCI Indicators, Remus exhaust, SmartTOP

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickj1972/albums

scott_dog

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by scott_dog » Sat May 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks, I've contacted Craig - seems I have the wrong part.

If I search for 61319123049 on eBay I get a dozen different parts offered (just like the one I bought!).

Where did you get yours from?

Andyarmra

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Andyarmra » Sat May 20, 2017 4:07 pm

scott_dog wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 3:46 pm Thanks, I've contacted Craig - seems I have the wrong part.

If I search for 61319123049 on eBay I get a dozen different parts offered (just like the one I bought!).

Where did you get yours from?
This is what I've just received which is the part you mentioned (61319123049). The two different parts I see on eBay are some with and some without the top part fitted. As you can see in the photos, one clips onto the other.

What you may find is when you remove your current stalk assembly, you can unclip the top part and attach it to your new part, assuming you don't get it.

I hope this helps a little. :D

P.S I'm having to return this to the supplier as the wiper stalk block is split and the stalk is loose! :thumbsdown:
image.jpg
image.jpg (271.33 KiB) Viewed 796 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (271.81 KiB) Viewed 796 times
2011 Deep Sea Blue sDrive30i Z4 Highline, 19" 326 Double spoke, M sport, Cream Leather, F & R PDC, Heated Seats, pro nav and SmartTop. Previous cars: 3.0 V6 A4 Audi Quattro and Nissan 200 SX S14a touring. :driving:

scott_dog

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by scott_dog » Sun May 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Thanks for the tip. Craig's tip was to buy a new set as 2nd hand ones are often u/s - which you've just discovered!

Zikim

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Zikim » Mon May 22, 2017 8:06 am

Tumnus wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 3:18 pm The KOMBI module should have a entry called TEMPOMAT_SETZ_ANZ_DAUER, this should be set to wert_02, if yours is still set to wert_01 then something probably went wrong with your coding and you'd be better off doing it again.

Oh, and you can code the ZDSC and KOMBI with the engine running (I did research it first!), I had to as I was struggling with battery charge.
Thanks for everyone for help especially Tumnus who sent me his FSW_PSW file so that I could compare against mine. I have the same entries in my file as Tumnus in that the TEMPOMAT_SETZ_ANZ_DAUER is set to wert_02.

My cruise control is still not working but I think this is due to a pre-existing fault that I have with the electronic parking brake malfunction fault CC-ID 482 which needs a software update (handbrake still working) and this is getting done by the local stealer at the end of the month. This fault is related to the rear wheel sensor hence the speed will not show on the dash (just _ _ _ mph).

I have checked using ISTA-D that the cruise stalk works in all directions and the dash. I will now just have to wait until the parking brake software is updated fot the cruise to work.

Andyarmra

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Andyarmra » Tue May 30, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi all. I just wanted to share a few things after getting the retrofit CC installed which may be of some use, but firstly a big shout out and thank you to Tumnus who came over to mine to code the Z for my CC. Cruise is working a treat with no issues. Cheers buddy!! :thumbsup:

Lessons learnt. (mine is a 2011 3.0)

1. Coding is complex if you don't know what you're doing. Get someone who knows what to do. :?
2. Drop and fully extend the steering wheel to allow plenty of room to play.
3. 20 minutes after disconnecting the battery, removing the airbag and steering wheel is pretty easy.
4. When unclipping the top and bottom steering column trim (they just pull apart), don't pull out the top trim as there is a little connector attached at the back which could break. (No idea what it's for)
5. Remember to put your steering wheel back into your normal driving position before testing full lock left and right. I didn't and heard some grinding/clicking noises (sounded like something wasn't connected properly) which I thought was me missing a connection or routing incorrectly. (could have been the coil spring cartridge) I ended up taking it all back to pieces again. (It was all good) :headbang: Once it was in the normal driving position, all was quiet. 8)
6. Driving the car without DSC on (which needs to be reset) after reconnecting the battery before coding is VERY weird! The car was pulling off to the right and the steering was very strange. I don't know how else to describe this but it want nice! :thumbsdown:
7. I don't have any symbols or anything telling me CC is engaged after the initial speed change indication, as the display reverts back to standard (not sure if this is normal but CC is still active).
8. After the DSC and TPMS lights had been reset, all normal driving resumed!! :driving:

Next mod, pipes, one touch roof drop or chrome lined indicator (I think this would look nice on my blue Z)??????

Hmmmmmm :D
2011 Deep Sea Blue sDrive30i Z4 Highline, 19" 326 Double spoke, M sport, Cream Leather, F & R PDC, Heated Seats, pro nav and SmartTop. Previous cars: 3.0 V6 A4 Audi Quattro and Nissan 200 SX S14a touring. :driving:

Tumnus

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Tumnus » Tue May 30, 2017 3:39 pm

You're welcome Andy, it was good to meet you. :thumbsup:

Just to add to Andy's list - we had the same problem as I did after the coding whereby we had a cruise warning light on startup. What we did to get round this in NCS Expert was to use a blank FSW_PSW.MAN file to reset the ZDSC and KOMBI modules back to default settings, this fixed the warning light. The only side effect from this reset to default was to introduce an extra option in iDrive called Vehicle Inspection, where you can set the reminder for the next inspection, though it looks like this is normally a hidden menu.
CC retrofit, LUX 180 Angel Eyes, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, BMW Performance Grilles, LCI Indicators, Remus exhaust, SmartTOP

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickj1972/albums

Man_utd_99

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Man_utd_99 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Really interested in installing cruise control to me E89

Mine has the heated steering wheel but no cruise control (why you would equip that on order and not include cruise control baffles me!)

I’m not fully comfortable coding but would be willing to fit the part myself.

Is there anyone in the west yorkshire region who would be willing to help/code for me please? Really miss cruise control :(

Can someone also let me know what part I would require since I have the heated steering wheel?

TIA

step_change

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by step_change » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:09 pm

It's bonkers that cruise is not standard, it costs BMW practically nothing to fit at build time ... :x I didn't have it on my 2.5 and really missed it on longer runs.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

Man_utd_99

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Man_utd_99 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:20 pm

In talks with someone who may be able to retrofit. Will keep you updated

Andyarmra

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Andyarmra » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:56 pm

I’ve unfortunately had to remove the CC as I was getting an error ( don’t remember which one) so I now have the steering wheel cowling if anyone is interested. It’s for CC obviously but not the heated steering wheel.

Man_utd_99

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Man_utd_99 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:24 am

I’d be wanting one with a heated steering wheel if anyone can has one around :)

Just haven’t got one yet as I’m waiting on the CC retrofit. If al goes well and coded correctly I’ll then go ahead and get one