Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake Service Reset

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Brake Service Reset

Post by flybobbie » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:04 pm

Search for Autel brake reset tool for BMW.

Then save some cash and just go to independent to get it reset and save your sanity.. I know I have been there.

35i-Nut

Brake Service Reset

Post by 35i-Nut » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:26 pm

flybobbie wrote:Search for Autel brake reset tool for BMW.

Then save some cash and just go to independent to get it reset and save your sanity.. I know I have been there.
Thanks ! will take a look :)

35i-Nut

Brake Service Reset

Post by 35i-Nut » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:39 pm

soo Im still messing round trying to get this reset , Front brakes showing -190 with plently of meat on the pads

Replaced sensor not so long ago

I have chopped up my old front sensor twisted the wires and plugged back in still wont reset :x

Ive read the sensor must read below 5 ohms if you stand a chance of resetting , mines on 0.4 Ohms

Apart from a dedicated brake reset tool , is there any other software that will reset it ?

Tried my OBD reader , Torque app etc

I did buy some INPA and NICExpert software on Ebay but its useless , E89 not listed

Will the Carly Android app reset it ?

philip27

Brake Service Reset

Post by philip27 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:11 pm

I never managed to reset mine after fitting new rear discs and pads even though it was not in negative numbers. My car was advising me to change them. Fitted a new sensors twice and it still didn't work.

Eventually the car decided the pads were good again and the counter went from 500 miles up to 1600 and has now increased to 1800 !

So random and annoying I had a full diagnostic kit when doing my rear disc and pads and the car was in brake service mode because of the electronic hand brake but it would not reset. Did ask at the main dealer and was told by the reception it was because I had fitted Brembo discs and pads :headbang:

It's not beeping at the moment or showing any warnings so I will attempt to reset it again when I am next at my uncles garage and can try using his diagnostic kit again. I have read since you have to unplug the sensor reset the service counter plug the sensor back in then reset again so may try this.

My car doesn't have idrive. Doesn't really bother me at the moment as I know the brakes are all good and have been done but it is frustrating.
Went to the dark side Porsche Cayman 987s
Crimson Red E89 23i - :(
Maldives Blue E85 2.5i - Sold :(

R.E92

Brake Service Reset

Post by R.E92 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:34 pm

35i-Nut wrote:soo Im still messing round trying to get this reset , Front brakes showing -190 with plently of meat on the pads

I have chopped up my old front sensor twisted the wires and plugged back in still wont reset :x

Ive read the sensor must read below 5 ohms if you stand a chance of resetting , mines on 0.4 Ohms

Apart from a dedicated brake reset tool , is there any other software that will reset it ?

I did buy some INPA and NICExpert software on Ebay but its useless , E89 not listed

For anything related to the E89 you can just the E90 menu in INPA. The INPA menu is just a shortcut system made to make the user experience a little easier. It's the modules within INPA that are the important part and the E90 shares most of them with the E89 as they are on the same platform.

Regarding the brake reset. I think the problem you are having is down to an incorrect reset procedure. You can find plenty of info by searching the E90 forums about brake resets. You shouldn't need any special tools if done correctly, just a service reset using the hidden menus within the car itself.

35i-Nut

Brake Service Reset

Post by 35i-Nut » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:36 pm

R.E92 wrote:
35i-Nut wrote:soo Im still messing round trying to get this reset , Front brakes showing -190 with plently of meat on the pads

For anything related to the E89 you can just the E90 menu in INPA. The INPA menu is just a shortcut system made to make the user experience a little easier. It's the modules within INPA that are the important part and the E90 shares most of them with the E89 as they are on the same platform.

Regarding the brake reset. I think the problem you are having is down to an incorrect reset procedure. You can find plenty of info by searching the E90 forums about brake resets. You shouldn't need any special tools if done correctly, just a service reset using the hidden menus within the car itself.
Many thanks for the info , will have another go at trying a reset

I think I did actually try a reset with the sensors also disconnected but couldnt get them to play ball

35i-Nut

Brake Service Reset

Post by 35i-Nut » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:38 pm

philip27 wrote:I never managed to reset mine after fitting new rear discs and pads even though it was not in negative numbers. My car was advising me to change them. Fitted a new sensors twice and it still didn't work.

Eventually the car decided the pads were good again and the counter went from 500 miles up to 1600 and has now increased to 1800 !

So random and annoying I had a full diagnostic kit when doing my rear disc and pads and the car was in brake service mode because of the electronic hand brake but it would not reset. Did ask at the main dealer and was told by the reception it was because I had fitted Brembo discs and pads :headbang:

It's not beeping at the moment or showing any warnings so I will attempt to reset it again when I am next at my uncles garage and can try using his diagnostic kit again. I have read since you have to unplug the sensor reset the service counter plug the sensor back in then reset again so may try this.

My car doesn't have idrive. Doesn't really bother me at the moment as I know the brakes are all good and have been done but it is frustrating.
Yeah the warning messages are getting me down ! , will update if and when I can reset the stupid thing

35i-Nut

Brake Service Reset

Post by 35i-Nut » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:41 pm

Well after a trip to the garage and an attempted reset with snap on scan tool which failed , after reading some more on the E60 forum I took the Ebrake off then carried out the normal reset , took 2 attempts but reset :thumbsup:

So if you are struggling with resetting your Z4 and have fitted a new sensor - TURN THE E BRAKE OFF !