Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Stock to Savage: My Z4’s transformation

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
London_Gains

Post by London_Gains » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:02 pm

This write up has been a long time coming and several month overdue at the time of writing but it’s finally here. It's just the main bits right now but I will add detail to the post over time. So let me jump right in.

Stock set up

So this is the bone stock BMW Z4 3.0i sDrive MSport HighlineEdtion purchased in April 2015 from Sytner Sheffield after a detail. I had it like this for about a year, resisting the urge to mod it until I grew tired of the factory aesthetics. The only tweak I did at this stage was rip off the front number plate to give it a bit more menace. And it was this menacing look that inspired the overall appearance of my present Z4. It’s a car that has been designed to look aggressive and sporty from the top down in my view. The goal was to accentuate this to a new level.

So, as mentioned above, I wanted my Zed to be mean, aggressive and beastly. It needed to have clean lines, blow loud and scare little kids, and so the journey began with… a stubby Antenna from a Peugeot 106 . Despite it’s novelty value, it made a big difference to the passenger side profile shots. No big ugly 70’s antenna. Reception review – appears to be unchanged by the 80% reduction in size, with gentle fuzzing under bridges and tunnels.

Antenna (£6, Ebay, 30 second fit)

Wheels

Next, it was the massive decision of which wheels to go for. After weeks of deliberation looking at various versions of the ZCP CSL’s, I settled on a heavily concaved 19” M359 Satin Black Staggered set up – and what an excellent decision this was. I was set on going for the deep concave because I think it looks excellent on a dropped car and fairly rare(ish) on Z4's. I went for black as I felt the wheels were aggressive enough to carry the color without losing the rim detail.

The wheel offsets were 19x9 ET35 on the front and 19x10 ET38 on the back. These wheels are extremely aggressive and suited my goals for the car. I mulled over which tyres to get and decided on the Continental Sport Contact 6’s in F: 235/35/R19 and R: 265/30/R19. I was concerned about possible rubbing with this combo but with stock MSport suspension there was more than ample room under the wheel arch. The set came to around £620 – a lot of money but the going rate for quality rubber, I was not disappointed. I also bought a set of BMW Centrecaps to keep it looking relatively OEM looking.

19” M359 Satin Black Staggered Wheels (£700, CMWheels, 30 minute fit)
Continental Sport Contact 6’s in F: 235/35/R19 and R: 265/30/R19 (£620, Blackcircles/Camskills, 15 minute fit)

Msport Stickers (£3, Ebay, 10 Seconds)
BMW Centrecaps (£6, Ebay, 10 Seconds)

Suspension

I liked the look of the wheels of the car but it was sitting higher then a teenager in amsterdam – the car needed to be slammed on coilovers ASAP and quite frankly I was embarrassed driving around like this. The rear diffuser, twin exhaust and roll bars just exacerbated my pain. After much googling I came across the KW V1’s which seemed to offer the highest degree of lowering (though pricey at £1200) and managed to pick them up off a forum member for a good price. On the way to picking them up I stopped off at a gargage near the Brent Cross exit of the North Circular and had LaminX tints in a very light smoke applied to both the back lights and front. This reduced the amount of contrast the headlights were creating and smoothed out the whole front end into one long continuous face.

You can see the subtle difference the headlight tints added compared to the 35i to the side.

KW V1’s Coilover Kit (£1200, Tuner Motorsport, 3 hours including Hunter Wheel Alignment)
LaminX Tint (£120, NC Tints, 1 Hour)

I had this fitted at The Tyre Shop in Chingford who did a cracking job with all the bits on my car. In order to be able to get the ride height low enough, I needed to put on 5mm spacers on the front so that it cleared the inside wheel bolt. This was the only complication of the Wheel / Tyre / Suspension set up but it was a very easy fix.

The aesthetics of the drop speaks for itself, producing a damn near universally attractive stance and a mean body shape. I must also highlight the excellent handling characteristics of the coilovers , as now when I push the car through corners or aggressive overtakes I feel extremely planted to the ground, with little to no body roll and a great level of feedback through the front axle into the steering wheel. The coilovers were a fantastic purchase.

Clean Lines

In order to achieve the goal of clean lines, I decided to debadge the atrocious lettering on the sides of the car, and the extremely oversized Z4 badge on the back. I did this using the Dental Floss and GlueGone method and it worked out perfectly. You really need to let the Glue Gone sit and then buff out the residue to get the mirror finish of the paint back. I also added a layer of polish and wax just to bring it back into line with the rest of the car.

At this stage, the indicator lights were sticking out like a sore thumb in their white and beady nature. I was very close to purchasing the facelift repeaters in black ( and may do this in the near future), but I decided to use spray tint in the mean time in order to darken them up. I just masked off the area and sprayed away – doing about 4 – 5 coats from 30 cm away and finishing with two coats of clear. It looked pretty good and has lasted well.

Quad Exhaust

The final(ish) piece of the puzzle. This is the epicenter of my drive to mod the car. In my view, a set of Quads elevates a mean car into a beast. From the sound to the look, it just multiplies the driving pleasure by a million. I like quads to the extent that I was being drawn in by the TTS until I was pulled back to my senses. Again after a lot of mulling around I came across the Eisenmann Quad system and decided to install it. I will do a separate write up of the installation but from a high level, I was posed with a few things to address.

The bumper

So the stock Zed comes with a twin pipe set up. This meant that I either had to buy a diffuser for several hundred quid or grit my teeth and cut into my bumper. I happened to look on ebay and came across an identical OEM diffuser to mine for £15! Bargain - snapped it up. Came in pretty good condition for the price. I decided that I would spend the time and mark it up myself using a ruler, pertractor, Rice Crispies box and cellotape. Rudimentary tools for such a precise job I know, but with patience I got there in the end, and it came out excellent. I took the bumper to a garage who cut and smoothed it for £5 and that was that, a fresh OEM bumper cut for Quads.

I then took the diffuser to Msport in Romford and had it painted in metallic black to match the rest of the car. Whilst here I brought along a pair of Roll Hoops I bought off ebay for £25 to get painted metallic black also (Silver Roll Bars against and all black car looked awful). I think I paid £110 for both to be properly prepped and sprayed and was very happy with the result

I’ll leave the fitting of the exhaust for another thread as i took a lot of pics along the way, but we got there in the end. A fully fledged Eisenmann system roaring at the rear. It’s still in the break in stage but sounds absolutely extraordinary. A Godzilla / Kingkong hybrid growl at low to medium RPMS’s. The top in is still bedding it and I hope it continues its trajectory to produce a neck snapping scream. I'm working on capturing the sound. Using a phone does it no justice and really has to be heard in person.

Eisenmann Race Quad Exhaust (£1200, BMW Parts £180, Fitting £100)

And so.... for a Hollywood before and after:

These rest of the post is a bunch of random photos I took the weekend I installed the exhaust. The weather was pretty crap but that didn't stop me. I'll be taking many more from here on in. I couldn't be asked to edit any of the pics as there are far too many of them so I just left them au natural. Enjoy.

Picture of my cleaning stack. I clean my car weely during the summer, with a full 7 hour strip and detail every 5 months. After each wash I use the Spraywax for water beeding purposes and a nice post wash sheen. I am addicted to Tyre shine and use Meguires Endurance Tyre Shine gel religiously ( twice a week). Makes a huge difference to the overall cars look in my opinion. Wet wheels are needed on an all black car to make the different blacks pop against eachother. Will make another thread for my cleaning routine.

I absolutely love my car as all my friends and family know. I hope you liked the write up. Let me know what you do and don't like - you can't please all the people all the time as they say. Things I’m considering…

Wrap / Paint all interior silver trim to Carbon black.
Facelift black repeaters.
M4 / Xenon white HID conversion
Stero / Tweeter Amp install.
Window tints
Paint brakes black
Last edited by London_Gains on Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
To Do: 19" Staggered CSL Rims
DONE
Conti Sport Contact 6 Tyres: DONE
KW V1 Coilovers DONE
LaminX Headlights and TailightsDONE
Quad Pipe Conversion - Eissenmann Race Quad Ordered [23/05/2016 - Being built in Germany]

AlfaScozzesi

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:17 pm

Looks great and the time / money you have spent show how much it means to you :thumbsup:

Great job.

DanStarr

Post by DanStarr » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:03 am

Wow I really like it you've put alot of effort in! Do you get any trouble with the lack of a front number plate?
53 2.5 Maldives blue, gone but not forgotten.
53 Vauxhall VX220 2.2

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:28 am

Fantastic job, car looks great

Love a stealth mobile.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:42 am

When I saw the photos at Krispy Kreme I wad hoping to see some Donuts!

Seriously though the car looks great OP! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:57 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: love the look. Really badass and not a spoiler, splitter or side skirt in sight!
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

MattHall91

Post by MattHall91 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:09 am

I have never understood modifying like that but it's clear you like it, so that's all that matters.
Now: Diseasal company cars (for now)
Gone: Z4 Coupe 3.0si - Montego Blue

Baza

Post by Baza » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:20 am

Not sure I like the hearse look but different strokes for different folks. I am impressed with your work ethic though.
Panther Kallista 2.8
S Drive 3.0i E89 2009 Space Grey Coral red Int 18" 295 wheels

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Lynchy » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:24 am

Let's face it the car looked great from the off and the majority of us wouldn't have changed a thing but your vision has transformed it into something to be proud of and I for one think it looks fantastic, well done :thumbsup:

85genius

Post by 85genius » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:41 am

It's like a proper batmobile well done!
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:43 am

looks frikken awesome imho :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

M1ghty_m0use

Post by M1ghty_m0use » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:54 am

Well this thread ate all my data up

hiltonfa

Post by hiltonfa » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:02 am

Car looks great, very nice mods :thumbsup:

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:25 am

London_Gains wrote:Things I’m considering…

Wrap / Paint all interior silver trim to Carbon black.
Facelift black repeaters.
M4 / Xenon white HID conversion
Stero / Tweeter Amp install.
Window tints
Paint brakes black
Couple of things. Firstly, do you mean the actual brake hubs or caliper a, as I think the caliper a would look nice in a colour to really pop. I only say as mine is very similar, black with gun metal wheels and blue calipers. They look awesome behind the dark exterior of the car and wheels.

Secondly and it's a shameful selling one. I have a full set of interior trim if you want to practice on some rather than trying it on your own ones. I swapped out my silver carbon ones for wood ones. They're mint except for some laquer peel near the gear lever, but if you're spraying/wrapping it won't matter.
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

NeilP

Post by NeilP » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:30 am

Wow!

I think this is one of the few e89's I'd happily own!

Looks dope!

Did fullhouse make the plate?