Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Stock to Savage: My Z4’s transformation

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:06 pm

Lot of effort and good quality parts in creating a look that clearly you like.

My personal opinion is that you've flattened the whole car and made it featureless. Black, black and more black, on black.
I think it needs little touches and accents in a contrasting colour.

I'd also get number plate On and legally space the other. Just asking to be pulled in such an obvious car.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

London_Gains

Post by London_Gains » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:23 pm

DanStarr wrote:Wow I really like it you've put alot of effort in! Do you get any trouble with the lack of a front number plate?
Thanks :thumbsup: To be honest i've been pulled over 3 times in 18 months so it's really not a big deal over here. However I was pulled over twice in a month in June so I will probably go ahead and chuck on the front plate now. You just need a good story if you do get pulled.
cj10jeeper wrote:Lot of effort and good quality parts in creating a look that clearly you like.

My personal opinion is that you've flattened the whole car and made it featureless. Black, black and more black, on black.

I'd also get number plate On and legally space the other. Just asking to be pulled in such an obvious car.
My uncle said the same thing regarding the risk of washing the car out in all black (recommended Gun Metal rims etc). But I think we came to the conclusion that the Z4 has enough drama to get away with it. It's so low swooping and has lots of deep angled cuts that the detail is not lost.

I kept the BMW roundells instead of black centrecaps in order to keep some degree of contrast. If I ever see you at a show hopefully you can see what i'm talking about as, after a decent wash and wax, the black pops to such a degree that nothing is lost.

Point taken about the plates.. I think it's time to attach them.
The_Dude wrote:
London_Gains wrote:Things I’m considering…

Wrap / Paint all interior silver trim to Carbon black.
Facelift black repeaters.
M4 / Xenon white HID conversion
Stero / Tweeter Amp install.
Window tints
Paint brakes black
Couple of things. Firstly, do you mean the actual brake hubs or caliper a, as I think the caliper a would look nice in a colour to really pop. I only say as mine is very similar, black with gun metal wheels and blue calipers. They look awesome behind the dark exterior of the car and wheels.

Secondly and it's a shameful selling one. I have a full set of interior trim if you want to practice on some rather than trying it on your own ones. I swapped out my silver carbon ones for wood ones. They're mint except for some laquer peel near the gear lever, but if you're spraying/wrapping it won't matter.

:thumbsup: Thanks for the kind words. I mean the brake calipers. I wanted to do Yellow but apparently that is reserved for super cars only :roll: and since they're not 6 pot brembos I dont really want to attract too much attention to them. But yellow would look cool.

No thank you on the set of trim - MStyle have quoted me to remove and respray all of the trim so there is no real risk for me justifying the purchase of brand new trim. Thanks though.
Mr Tidy wrote:When I saw the photos at Krispy Kreme I wad hoping to see some Donuts!

Seriously though the car looks great OP! :thumbsup:
There is a separate walkthrough coming with Donut selection technique and modding your orders. Only 50 pictures for that thread :wink:
To Do: 19" Staggered CSL Rims
DONE
Conti Sport Contact 6 Tyres: DONE
KW V1 Coilovers DONE
LaminX Headlights and TailightsDONE
Quad Pipe Conversion - Eissenmann Race Quad Ordered [23/05/2016 - Being built in Germany]

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:42 pm

Really like that. Top work. :thumbsup:

Next step get some proper brake discs and calipers behind those wheels. :wink:

London_Gains

Post by London_Gains » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:49 pm

buzyg wrote:Really like that. Top work. :thumbsup:

Next step get some proper brake discs and calipers behind those wheels. :wink:
Thanks mate :D I really do want to chuck on a propper brake kit but... it's really not a wise investment unless I up what's under the bonnet, and this being a 3.0 NA engine it's near on impossible.... though I was looking at a V8 Engine swap based on the GT3... can you imagine! Stuff of dreams.
NeilP wrote:Wow!

I think this is one of the few e89's I'd happily own!

Looks dope!

Did fullhouse make the plate?
:) Thanks Neil, no I think I got the plates made from Demonplates last year. They're pretty good.
To Do: 19" Staggered CSL Rims
DONE
Conti Sport Contact 6 Tyres: DONE
KW V1 Coilovers DONE
LaminX Headlights and TailightsDONE
Quad Pipe Conversion - Eissenmann Race Quad Ordered [23/05/2016 - Being built in Germany]

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:06 pm

London_Gains wrote: :thumbsup: Thanks for the kind words. I mean the brake calipers. I wanted to do Yellow but apparently that is reserved for super cars only :roll: and since they're not 6 pot brembos I dont really want to attract too much attention to them. But yellow would look cool.
:wink:
I say forget what people say and paint 'em yellow. If you don't like it, paint over them. I did mine blue and with the gun metal wheels it look ace.
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:23 pm

Great looking E89 - I like the blacked out look and the quad exhaust. Good work :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:56 pm

Wow...

There are not many Z's get that response from me - as many keep them stock.

What you have done is by subtle modifications made a fantastic motor - it looks great.

Love it.

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:27 pm

Nice one, looks good, hats off for sticking with quality parts and really making sure everything is done as it should.

I'm not a huge fan of the quad exhaust (it screams "custom" where as the rest of your mods are fairly subtle) but they do look quite aggressive. I think the rest of it looks absolutely great!
2019 BMW M40i First Edition Frozen Orange
2014 BMW M4 DCT Yas Marina Blue

Previous Zeds:
2010 BMW Z4 35i DCT (Evolve: 360BHP)
2009 BMW Z4 35i DCT
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i manual

Paulwirral

Post by Paulwirral » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:42 pm

I do like to see someone else who will modify their car and stick two fingers up to the , future value investment brigade , I think the car looks great but stop parking in the parent child bays , I understand why you've done it but other people may need them , probably not the ones driving a 2 seat convertable :thumbsdown:
And you've shamed me into washing my wife's car as she saw this post , bought it brand new in November and it's the third time I've washed it because if you , no polishing though :thumbsup:

rayz4

Post by rayz4 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:00 am

Love it :thumbsup:
White e89 30i sdrive, Melbourne red e89 35is, 2021g29 sdrive 30i misano blue.

Amg01

Post by Amg01 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:49 pm

:thumbsup: Love the car and what you have done to it, the alloys are awesome. Clearly a cleaning fan, what wax do you use?
Silver E89 Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

WilliamB

Post by WilliamB » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:30 pm

Looks great, but I would get rid of the front & rear tints because it starts to make the car look a little 'boy racer'. Actually I had fish-eye tints put on my rears but took it off a week later because I noticed that it made the e89 look dated. Dark tints died in 2013. Also, you should consider getting LED headlights. Next level would be vinyl decals of course, but keep it classy 8)

*AL*

Post by *AL* » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:35 pm

Absolutely stunning! The choice of wheels and suspension stance is perfect! :thumbsup:
2009 (59) Z4 E89 3.0i Sdrive in deep sea blue, white extended leather, I-drive, folding mirrors. Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:39 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Lot of effort and good quality parts in creating a look that clearly you like.

+1

The vader look doesn't do it for me, all the details of the car have disappeared the only nice contrast are the red seats.

Dejablue

Post by Dejablue » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:44 am

Transformed that car!
I think it looks awesome, and I especially like the quads.
Thanks for sharing the process.