Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Z4 28i

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
SteveSmith

My Z4 28i

Post by SteveSmith » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:47 am

JimsZ wrote:Seen your other post and then spotted this, nice touches. Just popping in to keep tabs on progress :thumbsup:
Thanks mate!
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

SteveSmith

My Z4 28i

Post by SteveSmith » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:49 am

NeilMick wrote:Looking good, where did you get the black indicators from or did you get them painted?
Thanks
I ordered them from Germany... http://www.tj-e.de

Arrived within a week. Swapped over in 10 minutes. Far easier than waiting for mine to get painted etc.
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

SteveSmith

My Z4 28i

Post by SteveSmith » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:14 am

Slightly better pic...

I am now happy with it!

I literally cannot wait for Xmas morning so I can put the kidneys on!

I think I'm going to paint my calipers and disc bells gloss black too. Maybe a little job to do over Xmas!

SteveSmith

My Z4 28i

Post by SteveSmith » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:24 am

I think I might get the side repeaters colour coded. I just can't make my mind up on them, something just isn't right about it, maybe the silver wheels but I'll never have black wheels.

SteveSmith

My Z4 28i

Post by SteveSmith » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:43 am

SteveSmith

My Z4 28i

Post by SteveSmith » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:59 am

3rd of January my chrome repeaters are being sprayed white to see what I prefer :rofl:

SteveSmith

My Z4 28i

Post by SteveSmith » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:17 pm

Black grills finally fitted, easiest mod I've ever done!

I think the black side repeaters now look better from this angle but I'm still not keen side on so the chrome ones will be painted white and I can pick my favourite look.

Has anyone fitted spacers?? I'm going to wait until after it's lowered but from some angles it looks like it could do with a big spacer but from measuring this morning you're probably looking at 20mm max each side on the rear and 5-10mm front max.

Speaker upgrades will be happening shortly as will a set of Eibach springs. I'm still more than happy with the performance so a remap can wait!

Wrapping the bottom bar of the bumper in gloss black too :thumbsup:

SteveSmith

My Z4 28i

Post by SteveSmith » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:18 pm

Hi all,

Update on the front splitter! So, I want something along these lines...

Problem is there isn't one available to buy!

I've considered buying one of them and having it modified to fit, I've considered buying an LCR splitter but I just can't see either of these options working out.

So today, I was bored a decided to go and buy some Marine Plywood! Problem I then had was fitting it in my car :rofl:

So... dad to the rescue!!

I bought an 9mm 8x4 foot sheet of exterior plywood. Had it cut down to 2 6x2 foot sheets and an off cut of 4x2.

This way I can make 2 splitters or have a second piece if I mess up the first go!

After a lot of measuring and faffing I've ended up with this...

It fits absolutely perfectly and is flush with the side of the bumper and follows the line of the bumper. It protrudes ever so slightly in the middle but still follows the bumper.

I'm so happy to get to this stage so quickly!!

I now need to find out exactly how to get this sealed and the best way to get it gloss black and not looking like plywood :rofl:

Having never done anything like this before I'm still not holding my breath! If I fit it and it looks cheap and nasty it will come straight off.

If anyone has any advice please offer it!!

SteveSmith

My Z4 28i

Post by SteveSmith » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:19 pm

As you can see, I have marked out a 2nd splitter. If anyone with an M Sport front bumper is interested I potentially will have a spare one!

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

My Z4 28i

Post by john-e89 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:51 pm

Might I suggest you have a day with a fine surform and some quality sandpaper Steve. No matter how careful you cannot get a nice rounded arc with a jigsaw, you can see the straights in the leading edge. Plus imho the edge needs to be rounded or it'll look square and just like a piece of ply no matter how it's covered. The arc needs to be as smooth and as continuous as possible without any little ridges etc, from the jigsaw, so a day finishing it will make a world of difference. Not criticising just an observation mate.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

SteveSmith

My Z4 28i

Post by SteveSmith » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:54 pm

john-e89 wrote:Might I suggest you have a day with a fine surform and some quality sandpaper Steve. No matter how careful you cannot get a nice rounded arc with a jigsaw, you can see the straights in the leading edge. Plus imho the edge needs to be rounded or it'll look square and just like a piece of ply no matter how it's covered. The arc needs to be as smooth and as continuous as possible without any little ridges etc, from the jigsaw, so a day finishing it will make a world of difference. Not criticising just an observation mate.
:thumbsup: yes, that's exactly why I stopped where I did today as I want to spend a good day or so making sure the edge is perfect. The picture makes it look worse, the arc is very good, but obviously requires sanding.

I will be rounding off all of the leading edge :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

My Z4 28i

Post by john-e89 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:08 pm

Cool. Are you going to wrap it in carbon fibre sheet or similar Steve? Only reason I ask is if it's going to be painted I'd think you'll have to apply a thin layer of wood filler all over then sand it down to get it smooth enough to accept paint without it looking like it's ply. Stones may well sink in and ding it very easily as well. Just something to think about before you get it covered. :)
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

SteveSmith

My Z4 28i

Post by SteveSmith » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:59 am

john-e89 wrote:Cool. Are you going to wrap it in carbon fibre sheet or similar Steve? Only reason I ask is if it's going to be painted I'd think you'll have to apply a thin layer of wood filler all over then sand it down to get it smooth enough to accept paint without it looking like it's ply. Stones may well sink in and ding it very easily as well. Just something to think about before you get it covered. :)
I'm currently looking into various options.

I'm not really interested in carbon, but someone has suggested I use this bit of Ply as a mould and get someone to do it in fibreglass.

I'm not going to paint it as I can't see that working out too well.

My initial plan was to give it a few coats of PVA and then have it vinyl wrapped.

SteveSmith

My Z4 28i

Post by SteveSmith » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:45 pm

Hi all,

Happy New Year!!

It looks like I've found a company who will use my Ply template to create it in 9mm thick gloss black plastic. They'll also finish the edge so it's perfect and I then just have to fit it!

I'm now very hopeful that this is going to look fantastic!

Good things are happening in 2017!!

Side repeaters with be sprayed white in the first week of Jan.

Eibach springs will be fitted by the end of Jan and I can then look at some spacers once I know where the car is sat.

And I'll hopefully get the front splitter sorted too!

Next will be some form of remap. I'd also like the BMW Performance brakes :thumbsup:

SteveSmith

My Z4 28i

Post by SteveSmith » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:58 pm

Car is filthy but I'm over the moon with my new side repeaters!!