Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electric/heated/sports Seat Retrofit solved

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks for the encouragement....yes, this was a bit more of a challenge than expected (although when I purchased the car it was significantly cheaper with the poverty spec it had as someone called it :D ). Cloth seats (I thought leather was standard), 17" wheels... no cruise... although it did have parking sensors! :wink:

I now have a car thats fully specced with the exception of iDrive (oh and no 3.5 twin turbo/adaptive suspension.... :rofl: )

With the knowledge spread all over the place, hopefully someone will find this a simple thread with everything in it....
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:21 pm

clarker63 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:29 pm Well it took longer than I hoped but I now have the passenger seat working :D

I ended up working out that I also needed to add pin 8 and 9 on the seat connector (-ve and +ve0) a well as those I described above. Pin 38 on the big connector (x14270) on the back of the fuse box was a bit of a pain too, as I couldn't work out which one was pin 38. Eventually I found a picture, and a post that said the connector slides out and you can then see numbers on the side of it.

I bought a female connector from BMW to use within it. however even when I had done all those things, its still didn't work!

I had tried a few times and was beginning to loose patience, but today I spotted in addition to coding CAS and FRM (494 + 459), you also need to update JBBF and IHK (http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 5&start=15). You just need to sg_codiren each module with no changes.I think mine had Z in front of those module names. When I did that I heard a click, and the passenger seat heating control now worked... and the seat warmed up. Finally its worth all the effort.... but next time I buy a car I'll definitely be looking for one with them in .... :rofl:

Hope this helps someone else... !
Hi great post, Ive got manual heated SE seats in mine at present, Im on the outlook for some manual heated sports seats.... are they a straight swap?

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:23 pm

I would think so.. can't see why not! Only if you moved to full electric would you at worst need to add another live to the connector. Good luck finding the seats at a good price though. They tend to be quite expensive.

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:06 am

clarker63 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:23 pm I would think so.. can't see why not! Only if you moved to full electric would you at worst need to add another live to the connector. Good luck finding the seats at a good price though. They tend to be quite expensive.
Thanks, Ive been offered a pair for £400 just waiting to get some pics to confirm condition etc

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:47 pm

Sounds good. Fingers crossed!

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:16 pm

clarker63 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:47 pm Sounds good. Fingers crossed!
Ive finally got a set of mint sport seats for mine (car had only 20,000 miles, same spec manual/heated), I've also ordered new powerlok screws/bolts. Looking at the removal/fitting procedure: retract roof, disconnect negative lead from battery... blah...blah.. any other considerations? :?

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:03 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:16 pm any other considerations?
Nope it should just be a straight swap if there's no difference in heating/electric.... Just make sure you don't connect the battery whilst the seats are out otherwise you'll get an airbag warning (as I did, despite knowing that woudl happen!). :D

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:21 pm

Cheers mate :D

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:43 pm

Busy little week, new tail pipes fitted and thats the sports seats finally installed (they do make the cabin smaller). Had to swap a pretensioner on one and I also accidentally shut the boot with the battery disconnected! :oops:

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:43 am

Very impressed, OP. Well done. :happyclap:
Vidi, vici, veni

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:57 am

Zed Baron wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:43 pm Busy little week, new tail pipes fitted and thats the sports seats finally installed (they do make the cabin smaller). Had to swap a pretensioner on one and I also accidentally shut the boot with the battery disconnected! :oops:
Excellent. you'll love the new seats... glad it all worked out. And yes I worried about the boot closing too. fortunately it didn't happen to me :D

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:58 am

Busterboo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:43 am Very impressed, OP. Well done. :happyclap:
Thanks Buster. it wasn't plain sailing. not too many people have done what I've done on an e89. mostly they've started with electric "something" in the seat harness. With enough time and will (plus sometime money too) most things can be achieved.. :D

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:15 am

clarker63 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:57 am
Zed Baron wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:43 pm Busy little week, new tail pipes fitted and thats the sports seats finally installed (they do make the cabin smaller). Had to swap a pretensioner on one and I also accidentally shut the boot with the battery disconnected! :oops:
Excellent. you'll love the new seats... glad it all worked out. And yes I worried about the boot closing too. fortunately it didn't happen to me :D
Thanks, it was the worry of the roof being down and the little spits of rain I could feel in the wind, being an auto I couldn't just wheel it back into the garage. I was worried about the bolsters not working or the heated seats but everything is fine :D