Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Performance Front Splitter

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:51 pm

Thought that might attract attention!

I'm currently in the process of making a front Splitter for the e89 M Sport bumper in the style of the BMW Performance Splitters seen on the new 3/4 series and M3/4's.

I want it to look like this...

I was originally looking in to have the plywood wrapped and sealed and fit that, but I then realised there are companies who could use my template to produce something in black polypropylene. Which will have a lovely finished edge, be totally weather proof and extremely strong.

This is my current template...

This is fresh from a jigsaw! So it needs sanding etc. I cut one half then used the off cut to cut the other half so it's perfectly symmetrical.

I'm hoping that one of the companies I'm awaiting to hear from will take my template, put it in to a computer, make sure it's perfect and CNC machine the splitter so it'll be absolutely perfect every time.

Would anyone be interested in one?

The template is currently at my parents house and I don't have a pic of it offered up to my car yet but I'll get one asap and show you all.

I've not got any idea on a price yet unfortunately.

Let me know!
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

Leesfarm07

Post by Leesfarm07 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:54 pm

Totally out of the court but I'd love one for my E85 if you fancy doing one at a later date
Current
2012 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG Sport auto in black
Westfield SE 1800 Zetec on twin 45's Aldon-Tuned pocket rocket in orange
Gone but not forgotten my lovely Zed 2.5

SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Leesfarm07 wrote:Totally out of the court but I'd love one for my E85 if you fancy doing one at a later date
I've never done anything like this before! Making the template is extremely simple though! Just got to be patient and have a steady hand!

I'd recommend using 3mm ply though as it'll be much cheaper than 9mm marine ply I used :rofl:

You'll need an 8x4 foot sheet.
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

Leesfarm07

Post by Leesfarm07 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:48 pm

I meant a black plastic one not a plywood one sorry :)
Current
2012 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG Sport auto in black
Westfield SE 1800 Zetec on twin 45's Aldon-Tuned pocket rocket in orange
Gone but not forgotten my lovely Zed 2.5

SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:13 pm

Yes sorry, I know that but you'll need a template before cutting up the plastic!

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:15 pm

The company I worked for previously had stuff called foamex that we used to mount drawings and pictures onto.
This was available in 3mm and 5mm as far as I remember and was pretty tough stuff, basically plastic dont let the name foamex fool you.
It could be cut with a stanley knife or scalpel and sanded, possibly a jigsaw could be used but I never tried it.
It came in huge sizes mainly in black or white.
If you are looking for something like this contact a reprographics company to see if they have any or search the net for foamex boards.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:07 pm

SteveSmith wrote:Yes sorry, I know that but you'll need a template before cutting up the plastic!
Just noticed PotterZ28i has a pic in this months competition with a splitter on his E89 Steve. Might be worth a look and a PM.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:25 pm

john-e89 wrote:
SteveSmith wrote:Yes sorry, I know that but you'll need a template before cutting up the plastic!
Just noticed PotterZ28i has a pic in this months competition with a splitter on his E89 Steve. Might be worth a look and a PM.
Certainly worth a PM but I believe that is the CF one from eBay. Prices range from £320 to well over £400. If they did that splitter in plastic I'd buy it but I'm not a fan of CF.

PotterZ28i

Post by PotterZ28i » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:20 pm

SteveSmith wrote:
john-e89 wrote:
Certainly worth a PM but I believe that is the CF one from eBay. Prices range from £320 to well over £400. If they did that splitter in plastic I'd buy it but I'm not a fan of CF.
It is indeed eBay and CF :D

I got it from the US so had shipping and import tax on top, but still way cheaper than a genuine one :?

Look forward to seeing how your own splitter works out, you could get a few orders coming your way! :thumbsup:
E89 sDrive28i M Sport

SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:20 pm

PotterZ28i wrote:
SteveSmith wrote:
john-e89 wrote:
It is indeed eBay and CF :D

I got it from the US so had shipping and import tax on top, but still way cheaper than a genuine one :?

Look forward to seeing how your own splitter works out, you could get a few orders coming your way! :thumbsup:
It looks great on yours! But I've added so many gloss black contrast parts that I now can't add carbon fibre without wanting to change a load of other parts to carbon fibre and that's a deep hole in the pocket!!

I'm going to spend some time on the splitter to make sure the plywood template is perfect before going any further with it. So I may go quiet about it for a month or so!

Wrs

Post by Wrs » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:34 pm

SteveSmith wrote:Would anyone be interested in one?
Yes I would in gloss black, depending on price of course :thumbsup:
Gone - Black Sapphire Z4 E89 35is
Gone - Midnight Blue Z4 E85 3.0si

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:38 am

Looking forward to see the finished item. :thumbsup:
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:19 am

Will this be for an m or non m-sport bumper?

I'd be interested in one, again depending on price.
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:57 pm

M Sport. I want to make sure it's perfect though because who wants to stick something crap on the front of their £20k BMW even if it is cheap!