Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlights

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Headlights

Post by flybobbie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:29 am

Something I noticed last night going home in fog, was the beam pattern of the lights and those asking about driving abroad.
There was a distinct shadow thrown to the opposite side of the road, I assume to prevent glare of oncoming traffic, then it brightened to illuminate the opposite curb as well as would be expected significant left side illumination.
So there is a bias to the left, which could be a problem if driving in Europe.
Perhaps BMW just couldn't be bothered to take that into account.

Stevepj

Headlights

Post by Stevepj » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:00 pm

According to the driver's handbook there's a lever within the headlight units on the E85 that sets the lights for driving on either the left or the right.
Had a look on xenons on mine in preparation for summer trip to Spain and France and it doesn't seem to be there so may be halogens only.
So this is where I write about the car? 2003 E85 2.5i, sterling grey, red leather, 106s with Goodyear Eagle F1s, factory xenons, folding mirrors, cup holders, retrofit cruise control, Bilstein B4's all round. And a whippy!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Headlights

Post by Chris_D » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:29 pm

Stevepj wrote:According to the driver's handbook there's a lever within the headlight units on the E85 that sets the lights for driving on either the left or the right.
Had a look on xenons on mine in preparation for summer trip to Spain and France and it doesn't seem to be there so may be halogens only.
Nope, it's there on xenons. Adjusted my own uk car for driving in holland recently. It's a small silver lever which you have to push down on to adjust the beam pattern for driving on the rhs of european roads.
Pic shows slight difference l/r after adjusting- bit dimmer on passenger side due to the top of the beam being blocked by the flap which comes down inside the headlight-
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (87.9 KiB) Viewed 650 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Stevepj

Headlights

Post by Stevepj » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Cheers Chris, I'll have another look, got until July to find it!
So this is where I write about the car? 2003 E85 2.5i, sterling grey, red leather, 106s with Goodyear Eagle F1s, factory xenons, folding mirrors, cup holders, retrofit cruise control, Bilstein B4's all round. And a whippy!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Headlights

Post by ronk » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:48 pm

Stevepj wrote:Cheers Chris, I'll have another look, got until July to find it!
It's a pig to find - I used to call into the dealer and he used to put it onto the ramp and do it foc.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Headlights

Post by buzyg » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:59 pm

Handy to know. :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Headlights

Post by ronk » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:18 am

You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Kingfisher

Headlights

Post by Kingfisher » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:55 pm

The BMW people told me mine dips flat ... the handbook says it's got some devilish tricky thing that splits the beam at oncoming cars ... either way I don't get flashed at either here in France, where I live, or in the UK, just one night when I went to collect the car! My Jaguar XF Sportbrake, which is also December 2014, same as the E89, also dips flat so as not to dazzle anyone ... maybe it's a recent innovation?
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving: