Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear boot tray shelf question

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Newbmw

Post by Newbmw » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:22 pm

Hi all has anybody had trouble with the rear storage tray in the boot the one you put up and in the down position. When putting the roof down .when the tray is in the up position I can hear it rattle slightly so just wondering if there's a solution I would like to leave it in the up position as I use the boot a lot this time of year
Last edited by Newbmw on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:04 pm

Newbmw wrote:Hi all has anybody had trouble with the rear storage tray in the boot the one you put up and in the down position. When putting the room down when the tray is in the up position I can hear it rattle slightly so just wondering if there's a solution I would like to leave it in the up position as I use the boot a lot this time of year
You can't put the roof down if the tray is in the up position.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

Newbmw

Post by Newbmw » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:06 pm

Yes I know but I like to leave the shelf up to use most of the boot but it rattles in the up position :D

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:38 pm

Newbmw wrote:Yes I know but I like to leave the shelf up to use most of the boot but it rattles in the up position :D

Ah your full stops make it look like you have the tray up when you have the roof down.

I'd check the 4 clips in the bottom of the tray are in place to start with.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

evom3z4

Post by evom3z4 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:43 pm

Newbmw wrote:Hi all has anybody had trouble with the rear storage tray in the boot the one you put up and in the down position. When putting the roof down .when the tray is in the up position I can hear it rattle slightly so just wondering if there's a solution I would like to leave it in the up position as I use the boot a lot this time of year
I have a couple of these tray's im about to list on ebay PM me if you want to take one?
m3evo smg (arrrghh!)
z3m roadster
Now in a Z4 3.0 SE Roadster Silver with Red Leather, Nav, Heated Seats, Angel eyes, stubby, Cruise, hard top
2013* new addition E36 M3 Evo! (couldn't resist!) and then the engine went pop :headbang:
Audi coupe 2.6 :P

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:04 am

It can be removed completely by removing two screw where it pivots.
Check that the rattling is not due to broken plastic where it attaches to the aluminium tubing.
To stay up, it uses two magnets.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:01 am

Have you checked that the canvas flap of the roof is fully clipped on to the lip of the tray, as if not the rubber seal will constantly bang against it when driving ?
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:21 am

Number5 wrote:Have you checked that the canvas flap of the roof is fully clipped on to the lip of the tray, as if not the rubber seal will constantly bang against it when driving ?
E89 pal :D
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:12 pm

metal licker wrote:
Number5 wrote:Have you checked that the canvas flap of the roof is fully clipped on to the lip of the tray, as if not the rubber seal will constantly bang against it when driving ?
E89 pal :D
Whoops ! Good spot ! :oops:
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:32 pm

Probably rattling because it's not engaged in the clips ... mine needs a good shove to engage them but I don't think there's any point in not plugging the shelf in properly because it will sit in the same position when the roof is jammed in on top of it, except it will be loose and therefore rattling!
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:08 pm

I leave mine down all the time so I can stow the roof and avoid any rattling over rough ground. Leaving it up makes you have to get out the car when you think oh I might pop the roof down... bong bong bong...