Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Coat Hanger?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
AnubisZed

E89 Coat Hanger?

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:15 am

Following on from the fitted luggage thread (which I'm considering buying as an investment) I was thinking about a coat hanger.
We are going to a wedding in Scotland in June and am wanting to take the Z4 (as opposed to the fiesta!! So you can see the advantage immediately), now whether we have the fitted luggage or normal luggage how are we going to carry my suit and her dress (not wedding dress, it's not our wedding). I've seen coat hangers that fit on the seat headrest, but, obviously, we don't have separate headrests, so is there another option to hang these items?

TIA :driving:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Busterboo

E89 Coat Hanger?

Post by Busterboo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:25 am

Why don't you have separate headrests? :?
Vidi, vici, veni

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Coat Hanger?

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:38 am

The E86 has a plastic guide for the seatbelt at the shoulder of the seat, I presume the E89 will have something similar. I pass a 100 x 5cm soft, woven nylon strap through this and circumferentially around the seat at the level of the junction between the seat back and head restraint. Either end of this strap has velcro fastenings, allowing the strap to be secured in position without being overly tight and risking damaging the seat. The seatbelt guide and the taper of the seat shoulder prevent the strap sliding down the seat.
With this in position, a suit carrier can hang behind the seat (preferably from a smooth plastic coat hanger), and the seat can be positioned more or less as far back as normal. I've driven to the South of France with half a dozen shirts / teeshirts hanging behind each seat, leaving the boot free for other luggage.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

AnubisZed

E89 Coat Hanger?

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:47 am

Can't fit a coat hanger to these..... (unless someone knows differently?)
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (52.94 KiB) Viewed 657 times
Dave

Deepseaskateboard

E89 Coat Hanger?

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:54 am

If you flip the seat forward, there should be a metal latch as an attachment point for something..

I have used these before to attach coat hangers to.
The clothing can hit the flooring a little, but it curves under the seat, so it's smooth.

You may have to have the seat a touch forward, but it works pretty well, given the storage limitations of the car!

AnubisZed

E89 Coat Hanger?

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:59 am

BMWZ4MC wrote:The E86 has a plastic guide for the seatbelt at the shoulder of the seat, I presume the E89 will have something similar. I pass a 100 x 5cm soft, woven nylon strap through this and circumferentially around the seat at the level of the junction between the seat back and head restraint. Either end of this strap has velcro fastenings, allowing the strap to be secured in position without being overly tight and risking damaging the seat. The seatbelt guide and the taper of the seat shoulder prevent the strap sliding down the seat.
With this in position, a suit carrier can hang behind the seat (preferably from a smooth plastic coat hanger), and the seat can be positioned more or less as far back as normal. I've driven to the South of France with half a dozen shirts / teeshirts hanging behind each seat, leaving the boot free for other luggage.
I'd have to have a look at that and see if there is anything I can do there.
Dave

AnubisZed

E89 Coat Hanger?

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:00 am

Deepseaskateboard wrote:If you flip the seat forward, there should be a metal latch as an attachment point for something..

I have used these before to attach coat hangers to.
The clothing can hit the flooring a little, but it curves under the seat, so it's smooth.

You may have to have the seat a touch forward, but it works pretty well, given the storage limitations of the car!
Yes possible the idea of them as I can't really see another point to them being there.
Dave

Kingfisher

E89 Coat Hanger?

Post by Kingfisher » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:41 am

Fold the suit and dress in half and lay them very carefully on top of your luggage in the boot ... don't put the roof down till you get there and unload! ... :?
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

AnubisZed

E89 Coat Hanger?

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:50 pm

Kingfisher wrote:Fold the suit and dress in half and lay them very carefully on top of your luggage in the boot ... don't put the roof down till you get there and unload! ... :?
Alas I'm travelling to Edinburgh for two days then onto the wedding for another two days then stopping off in the Lake District on the way home, so as it's June I'm hoping to be able to do a spot of driving with the roof down (well quite a bit actually) :driving: 8)
Dave