Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thinking of buying a Z4 E89 - Any top tips?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Simes123

Post by Simes123 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:46 am

First posting! My good lady wife sadly sent my Z3 2.2i to the salvage yard on Friday after a (very) minor spin off on the snow. I'm waiting on the insurance settlement and thinking of a Z4 replacement.

We've converged on an E89 model I think of around 2009/10 vintage. I believe that's an early electric hard top model?

I see the advice is to go for the 3.0, but have been looking at the 2.5 models, though happy to go either way. Condition/mileage are probably more important to us than the extra power. (Though my inner youth is quite open to the 3.0 and I see economy is the same).

What should we be careful of in terms of spec and model variants to target or avoid?

I really want a lowish mileage one (targeting under 40k miles). Preferred colours are midnight blue/silver/space grey. Don't mind interior - Oyster for the blue, red for the silver/grey would be nice. I'm not hard over on budget for the right car, but ideally don't want to spend more than £12k. Is that realistic for a 3.0? Or should I stick to the 2.5 models?

I'm not that familiar with the Z4 as I've avoided looking at them while we had a Z3, as I didn't want lust and yearning to kick in, but prices seem to have softened sufficiently now that I (well, we) want one :) Appreciate any top tips :)

Simon

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
Try this thread for an idea what you can get for your £ - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=87737
Wouldn't rule out the 23i (2.5 6cyl engine) I owned one before the Zed I've got now and its a great car !
Imo heated seats are a must have and Msport trim
Good luck with the search :)
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

freemadw

Post by freemadw » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:43 pm

Welcome to the forum Simon.
I have to say I did find the 23i a little lacking in the performance stakes. I did have an auto, which may have influenced my impressions, but it didn't feel like a quick car. 0-60 in around 7 seconds sounds quick but there are Vauxhall Corsas out there that are quicker than that.
I went for a 23i because it was about the same power and speed as my previous car, a SAAB 93 Turbo, but the SAAB felt quicker. I was going to hang onto it for at least a year - but then a 35i Manual came up, and man-maths meant it was a done deal... :evil:
I haven't driven a 30i, if a manual with the right wheels and toys (iDrive, heated seats) had come up I would have been very tempted as there are no turbos or direct injection components to worry about.
Cheers, Dave
If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining...

Simes123

Post by Simes123 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:45 pm

Thanks both- I've been mainly looking at the 23i as they seem more plentiful and slightly keener priced than the 3.0L, but the 3.0 is a more attractive option if I can find a good car. Not too many MSport spec about for some reason - perhaps they get snapped up more quickly or perhaps above my budget when filtering. I thought I'd found a nice 23i with just 19k miles on it on auto trader, but when I looked into the mot history, it had been motd in 2013 and not again until 2016, which was weird and I couldn't get a satisfactory explanation for this from the dealer, so I've left it for now. I've found a couple of other 23i's in budget but all Sdrive. One at £10k and one at £12k. I'm coming from a 2.2 Z3 which to be fair had enough power to be fun, but nothing astonishing, I hated the auto box on it though - ponderous and usually in the wrong gear and unless you kicked down, accelerated like a lorry going up a hill with its clutch slipping. Outside of American rental cars, it was the worst auto box I'd driven, and that's coloured my judgement a bit towards a manual this time. That said my 2016 320D Touring auto box is sublime. What's the E89 auto like? Will keep searching! Simon

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:55 pm

Haven't driven a auto but think it will be a lot better than the Z3 :)
By the way all E89's have the Sdrive moniker on them for some reason :?
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

freemadw

Post by freemadw » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:15 pm

I thought the auto box was very good, 6 speed with sport mode, which changes the gear change points. You also get paddles on the steering wheel which you can use at any time to override the current gear, and of course you can push the lever over to the left and use it as a semi-manual.
I just felt that if I was going to have a sports car I wanted a manual with a bit more go.
Cheers, Dave
If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining...

Smurfalot

Post by Smurfalot » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:22 pm

I lurve my 3.0 sdrive auto. Very smooth when left to its own devices, but still really responsive if you suddenly pound the accelerator. :D
Stick it in sport, and use the paddles, and it's sooooooo much fun!
No regrets what so ever..
Now: Jaguar XF R Sport red/black leather and soooo many new toys
Gone :cry: sdrive 30i, silver, black leather, 19" wheels
Gone :cry: 2.0i sport. Black. Black Piano trim. Black Leather.

Simes123

Post by Simes123 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:22 am

Well, the insurers have phoned me today with the write off settlement that was better than I was expecting. Have therefore upped the budget a little and have possibly found a E89 3.0 SDrive MSport Auto with Navi and 35k miles for £14.5k ish. I think it's a little bit dear (but probably fair given the spec) but hopefully room for negotiation given the time of year. And it's only 40miles away rather than the other end of the country where similar seem to be available occasionally for 1-2k less. (I'm in Scotland). My wife is keen on an Auto and given the encouraging comments above, it's a candidate for a test drive. I'd like the manual, but technically this is the wife's car, and if I go Auto with it, we've reached an agreement that she'll stop bringing up "Mini Cooper" as her preferred choice :)

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:56 am

Hi Simon and welcome, with your budget it can be done. There are lots of option to look out for but if you look at the thread here

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=91932

It is possible to get almost everything you want.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I have both an E85 and an E89 and they just aren't getting used , so if it's of interest give me a shout and let's talk. :D

SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:29 pm

Hope you find a nice one!

I didn't set out to buy a Z4, I was actually looking at a TTS but the Z4 sold itself to me and I love it!
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

SpiketheBike

Post by SpiketheBike » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:43 pm

freemadw wrote:Welcome to the forum Simon.
0-60 in around 7 seconds sounds quick but there are Vauxhall Corsas out there that are quicker than that.
But not with nearly as much panache. :roll: 8) :driving: :thumbsup:
2011 Z4 SDrive 23i Highline pack. White with Coral Red leather, 18" 293s with RFTs & Pirellis. LED interior lights. Cree 80W Angel Eyes. Stubby

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:07 pm

I have a 3.0 auto that you can have a drive in before deciding which gearbox would suit your needs best......Based just south of Perth....And my car not for sale incidently :)

Simes123

Post by Simes123 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks all for the welcomes - friendly forum! Wow thanks for the offer Highlander - very kind of you. I've reserved (refundable deposit) the 3.0 MSport auto and am test driving it tomorrow AM, or I'd have taken you up on it thank you. The car is this one, in case anyone knows anything about it, or sees any obvious issues!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... BMW&page=1

Obviously I've not bought it yet, but I have the option subject to me liking it. Any thoughts?

Simon

Simes123

Post by Simes123 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:10 pm

Dietcokeman - that sounds interesting - I have put a temp deposit down on the car above as it's local to me so some obvious benefits but I will bear you in mind!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:35 pm

Simes123 wrote:Dietcokeman - that sounds interesting - I have put a temp deposit down on the car above as it's local to me so some obvious benefits but I will bear you in mind!
+1 for Bryan's car (dietcokeman) his attention to detail & general care & upkeep for mechanical things are outstanding :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold