Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Options and extras 23i/30i

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
lordgrover

Post by lordgrover » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:45 pm

Being realistic, I can't justify 35is so have lowered my sights to 30i or maybe 23i - depending on condition and extras.
My list of required/preferred options includes:
  • Sports seats
    iDrive
    NAV
    PDC
    Xenon
    Active cruise control
    Heated seats
    Extended lighting
Is there anything obvious I'm missing that I may regret later?

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:11 pm

If you go for an Msport model it shouldnt be hard to get something with all you are looking for, some of it is standard.
The only thing you may struggle with is extended lighting.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Think you've got everything I'd want on the list but I agree with Nictrix go for Msport :thumbsup:
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:11 pm

I'm not clued up on "extended lighting" but the rest sounds like our car.....only thing I would add in hindsight would be electrics to the seats,maybe not that important but on a long journey I always want to adjust the seat to alleviate aches before my bladder wants me to stop at the nearest services :P Plus the memory position would be good as I'm a little over 6' and the wife's 5'5"ish so vastly differant driving positions.
Make sure you get the wind deflector with any car you buy as it's costly from BMW and quite hard to find S/H.........£250ish seems to be the going rate and there's not a lot of parts for your hard earned.
Good luck with the hunt

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:27 pm

There is also comfort access, steering wheel heating, and either an 11 or 14 speaker upgrade over the 6 speaker 'business' radio that you could look for, however the wheel heating and comfort access seem to be quite rare from the cars I look at, which is a lot.. :lol: but you never know, there are ones out there and these are very nice things to have imo.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:29 pm

The best soundsystem that you can find.
Ours is the loudspeaker system with 11 speakers, fairly happy with it but others say the lower spec systems sound poor.
There is a 14 speaker system.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:57 pm

Servotronic giving lighter steering at slow speed is an option not mentioned much.
Certainly mine feels like a tank without it, after turning a wheel with servotronic. Think it was standard on later models.

lordgrover

Post by lordgrover » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:28 pm

Highlander wrote:I'm not clued up on "extended lighting" but the rest sounds like our car.....only thing I would add in hindsight would be electrics to the seats,maybe not that important but on a long journey I always want to adjust the seat to alleviate aches before my bladder wants me to stop at the nearest services :P Plus the memory position would be good as I'm a little over 6' and the wife's 5'5"ish so vastly differant driving positions.
Make sure you get the wind deflector with any car you buy as it's costly from BMW and quite hard to find S/H.........£250ish seems to be the going rate and there's not a lot of parts for your hard earned.
Good luck with the hunt
I'll be the only driver so power/memory seats would be a tonne of weight and something else to go wrong, for no real benefit.
Wind deflector is a good call though - thanks. I'd forgotten that one.

lordgrover

Post by lordgrover » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:30 pm

I'll try to find M-Sport then, and I like the idea of comfort access too.
Thanks all. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

lordgrover

Post by lordgrover » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:26 pm

Hmmm. A quick trawl of t'Internets and no M-sport autos about at £13k. Guess I'll have to make do. :headbang:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:59 pm

lordgrover wrote:Hmmm. A quick trawl of t'Internets and no M-sport autos about at £13k. Guess I'll have to make do. :headbang:
I really wouldn't get twitched up over Msport v Se :( you pay over the odds for a Msport model & get very little in return apart from badge designation "kudos" :o
They ride harder ( ok slightly lower which may or may not be a bonus )
Front bumper resembles previous E85 ///M but can be colour dependent as to the actual visual effect it has
Rear Msport diffuser is a bit of a fail imo :cry: certainly far from the designers finest moment & again colour dependent as to whether its even worth having over the Se
Msport Steering wheel ? I was perfectly happy with my 23i Se mfsw
Id say on top of your wish list also try to get one with decent wheels fitted , as in 19s as the 3 choices of 18s were limited with only the BBS split rims ones actually being desirable :cry: ( apologies to anyone offended ) & 17s can look undersized on 89s ( imo )

Pic of Se front

Msport front

3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

lordgrover

Post by lordgrover » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:17 pm

:thumbsup:

SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:40 am

Why not consider a 28i?

I would definitely recommend seeking a car with an upgraded sound system. The standard 6 speaker system is terrible.

That's the only option mine hasn't got that I wish I had! I've not got heated steering wheel either.

I really like the extended lighting :thumbsup:
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

Mactran

Post by Mactran » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:02 pm

I agree with the heated steering wheel. Ivery never has a car with that option but it makes it so nice to drive on the cold winter mornings. I've always had heated seats but this just adds a whole new world lol

Comfort access is amazing the only thing is I don't actually know where my keys are these days. Have to search through my jackets looking for car keys.

Extended lighting is really nice too. Adds the little extra touches which should be standard imo.

Oh and if you are getting the navigation make sure it's the professional one. Not sure if a Z comes with regular navigation but just in case.

freemadw

Post by freemadw » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:57 pm

As mactran says, extended lighting adds some nice touches that should be standard on a car this price. Not many have comfort access (keyless entry and start), you'll probably see quite a few that have 'comfort pack' - this isn't the same, it's extended lighting, wind deflector, extended storage (little compartment to the right of the steering wheel, compartment in the rear bulkhead - again, should be standard...).
The standard 6 speaker system is OK with the roof up - you can't hear it with the roof down. Not sure about 11 speakers, but 14 are good - the only addition is a midrange in the centre of the dash and a tweeter and a midrange in the rear bulkhead - and a bigger amp, so I'd think an 11 speaker system wouldn't be too bad.
Heated seats are pretty common, I think they were standard on the 30i's, my 23i didn't have them. Heated steering wheels are pretty rare. My 35i has both, I've only ever turned them on to see if they work...
Sports seats are good, manual ones have lots of levers in different places whereas the electric ones are easy to adjust - at the expense of extra weight and complexity.
As for M-Sport vs SE, I can't really comment, I have only driven the M-Sport versions. I have read that the SE suspension is more comfortable, I don't find the M-Sport unpleasant.
Hope your search is successful, not the most practical car in the world, but a lot of fun :D
Cheers,
Dave
Last edited by freemadw on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining...