Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wind deflector

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
RayM

Wind deflector

Post by RayM » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:35 am

Hi Guys

Looking at a couple of E89's and one doesn't have the wind deflector option.. Can this be retrofitted or is it a real PITA?
Porsche 997 Gen 2 Cab - awesome
Melbourne Red 35iS (Gone to a new Home)
3.0 SE E85 Maldives blue (Now gone but not forgotten)
Previous toys:- 2.0 Litre Westy, 993 C4

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Wind deflector

Post by john-e89 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:45 am

RayM wrote:Hi Guys

Looking at a couple of E89's and one doesn't have the wind deflector option.. Can this be retrofitted or is it a real PITA?
It's a bit of a pain Ray. Depends on how you get on with tools though, you need to remove the roll hoop plastic covers, not easy to do without breaking a couple of the connecting lugs, drill out the metal hoops, replace covers and fit the deflector kit. Straightforward if you're handy but fiddly and easy to get wrong if not. There are several 'gimp' style covers that fit over the hoops but imo they're pretty ugly, that's just me though obviously.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

RayM

Wind deflector

Post by RayM » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:30 pm

john-e89 wrote:

It's a bit of a pain Ray. Depends on how you get on with tools though, you need to remove the roll hoop plastic covers, not easy to do without breaking a couple of the connecting lugs, drill out the metal hoops, replace covers and fit the deflector kit. Straightforward if you're handy but fiddly and easy to get wrong if not. There are several 'gimp' style covers that fit over the hoops but imo they're pretty ugly, that's just me though obviously.
That sounds like a right Faff :( Does the deflector make that much difference ? I always drove my E85 with it on so ive nothing to compare it to

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Wind deflector

Post by john-e89 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:21 pm

RayM wrote:
john-e89 wrote:

That sounds like a right Faff :( Does the deflector make that much difference ? I always drove my E85 with it on so ive nothing to compare it to
Yes it does, it makes a lot of difference, stops buffeting wind and noise, plus the E89 is far better at keeping swirling wind out than an E85 as a matter of course, much warmer in winter too, I presume from the squarer front windows plus the two small rear windows, so leaving out the deflector ruins the cabin if you like the roof down without buffeting. I have tried it out just to compare and it stays in permanently.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Wind deflector

Post by Smartbear » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:25 pm

wot john said! The deflector makes it much more pleasant :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

R.E92

Wind deflector

Post by R.E92 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:59 pm

I took mine out for the winter as it impedes rear visibility but having driven a few times without it I really don't miss it.

Even with the deflector in place I get quite a lot of wind noise. I'm 6'3 so my head is always in the air currents with the roof off :x

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Wind deflector

Post by john-e89 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:11 pm

R.E92 wrote:I took mine out for the winter as it impedes rear visibility but having driven a few times without it I really don't miss it.

Even with the deflector in place I get quite a lot of wind noise. I'm 6'3 so my head is always in the air currents with the roof off :x
A short arse 5'6", seat low down, it all flows over my head.... :D
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Wind deflector

Post by Smartbear » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:14 pm

john-e89 wrote:
R.E92 wrote:I took mine out for the winter as it impedes rear visibility but having driven a few times without it I really don't miss it.

A short arse 5'6", seat low down, it all flows over my head.... :D
That sounds like a good philosophy John :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Wind deflector

Post by john-e89 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:19 pm

Keeps one sane Rob... :lol:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Ozie

Wind deflector

Post by Ozie » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:52 am

john-e89 wrote:

Bought my car without wind deflector and did the retrofit. Got wind deflector from ebay and replaced the roll hoop plastic covers with wind deflector models (no need for drilling holes). Job took about 15 mins and wasn't hard.

Pastry

Wind deflector

Post by Pastry » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:37 am

Ozie wrote:
john-e89 wrote:

Bought my car without wind deflector and did the retrofit. Got wind deflector from ebay and replaced the roll hoop plastic covers with wind deflector models (no need for drilling holes). Job took about 15 mins and wasn't hard.
Same here, I got new hoop covers, front and back as mine were scuffed and the cost £90ish from BMW. Easy to fit and job done :thumbsup:
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

RayM

Wind deflector

Post by RayM » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:14 pm

Pastry wrote:
Ozie wrote:
john-e89 wrote:
Same here, I got new hoop covers, front and back as mine were scuffed and the cost £90ish from BMW. Easy to fit and job done :thumbsup:
That sounds like a good option guys... cheers :thumbsup: