Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2.0 tuning

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

2.0 tuning

Post by Smartbear » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:49 am

ronk wrote:What do our friends across the Atlantic say?
" No substitute for Cubic Inches" :rofl:

Don't get them involved, they think you need a v8 to get the shopping :lol:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Twin Turbo

2.0 tuning

Post by Twin Turbo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:14 pm

Smartbear wrote:
Twin Turbo wrote:
ronk wrote:
Im sure i read on here that the injectors are different?
Correct - there are some minor differences between the engine range.

However the question is - is it under warranty and how far you want to go?

If its under warranty then I would recommend RaceChips; if you want to keep only to stage 1 - as they provide a engine warranty
JB4 - is great if you want to go to stage 2 (remove cats), or go for Meth injection - however you need to tap into the canbus

If car is not under warranty; then a tune from evolve is kool
You're wrong, no difference between the engines & the injectors are identical
Real oem for 18i
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=13_1416
Real oem for 28i
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=13_1416
There is no difference between the engines (or turbos)
Rob
Well looks like I am eating humble pie - I would have put money on that - as I did some reasurch while ago - good call

lordgrover

2.0 tuning

Post by lordgrover » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:21 pm

ronk wrote:What do our friends across the Atlantic say?
" No substitute for Cubic Inches" :rofl:
No replacement for displacement. :wink:

warmasice

2.0 tuning

Post by warmasice » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:52 pm

My understanding is this:

20i runs at 0.55 bar of boost. Compression ratio of 10:1

28i runs at 1.15 bar of boost. Compression ratio of 11:1

Structurally, the difference between these engines is only in the form of pistons. For engines with a compression ratio of 11:1 (28i), there is a smaller volume of piston recess in the piston crown. 20i models can be remapped or have a piggy-back box added to increase the boost. However, the compression ratio can't be altered. Hence, 28i models can be remapped to a higher bhp.

R.E92

2.0 tuning

Post by R.E92 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:29 pm

warmasice wrote:My understanding is this:

Structurally, the difference between these engines is only in the form of pistons. For engines with a compression ratio of 11:1 (28i), there is a smaller volume of piston recess in the piston crown. 20i models can be remapped or have a piggy-back box added to increase the boost. However, the compression ratio can't be altered. Hence, 28i models can be remapped to a higher bhp.
Where did you get the figure of 11:1 from? 90% of hits on google show 10.3:1 for the 28i.

Pistons show identical on realoem;
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=11&fg=20
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=11&fg=20

Realoem could be wrong but it's a better source than most.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

2.0 tuning

Post by Smartbear » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:43 pm

warmasice wrote:My understanding is this:

That's incorrect, all uk n20 engines have the same compression ratio, in the USA market some n20 engines have higher compression in the f30 range of cars I believe.
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

2.0 tuning

Post by Smartbear » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:46 pm

The reason the 28i can be mapped higher is because it has a more powerful dme module.
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Twin Turbo

2.0 tuning

Post by Twin Turbo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:09 pm

So what your saying replace the DMU and you make an 18i to an 28i?

So how come no one has reported of doing this? (As I am aware)

warmasice

2.0 tuning

Post by warmasice » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:47 pm

You're all wrong. The 28i has a flux capacitor!

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

2.0 tuning

Post by Ewazix » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Twin Turbo wrote:So what your saying replace the DMU and you make an 18i to an 28i?

So how come no one has reported of doing this? (As I am aware)
It seems amazing to me that punters were conned in to stumping up and extra £8k for mapping and marginally bigger brakes. Brillient marketing if true and food for thought when considering a daily driver from the elewhere in the BMW range :sly2:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Pastry

2.0 tuning

Post by Pastry » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:51 pm

warmasice wrote:You're all wrong. The 28i has a flux capacitor!
:lol: I thought it had warp drive or was that the 35is...
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

warmasice

2.0 tuning

Post by warmasice » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:01 pm

Pastry wrote:
warmasice wrote:You're all wrong. The 28i has a flux capacitor!
:lol: I thought it had warp drive or was that the 35is...
Haha!! :rofl:

R.E92

2.0 tuning

Post by R.E92 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:47 pm

Smartbear wrote:The reason the 28i can be mapped higher is because it has a more powerful dme module.
Rob
I doubt that the power of the DME module has anything to do with it. It will purely be the code that runs in the module that differs.

It's not as simple as just replacing the DME with one coded for a 28i as BMW have put measures in place to prevent that. I'm sure there is a method to circumvent this but beyond the reach of most people.

The best bet is for someone to reverse engineer the DME code like people have done with the N54 in the 35i and 35is. The N20 engine seems like a perfect candidate for the likes of Martial at MHD. If the N20 becomes popular for tuners then I'm sure it will happen.

I don't see why people get so upset about getting a de-tuned engine. You guys should be happy, you have an engine which will probably never go wrong since it's only running at 70% of its rated output.
Also there is the possibility that someone puts to effort into cracking the N20 DME and you guys have yourself a hugely discounted 28i.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

2.0 tuning

Post by Smartbear » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:02 am

R.E92 wrote:
Smartbear wrote:The reason the 28i can be mapped higher is because it has a more powerful dme module.
Rob
I doubt that the power of the DME module has anything to do with it. It will purely be the code that runs in the module that differs.

It's not as simple as just replacing the DME with one coded for a 28i as BMW have put measures in place to prevent that. I'm sure there is a method to circumvent this but beyond the reach of most people.

The best bet is for someone to reverse engineer the DME code like people have done with the N54 in the 35i and 35is. The N20 engine seems like a perfect candidate for the likes of Martial at MHD. If the N20 becomes popular for tuners then I'm sure it will happen.

I don't see why people get so upset about getting a de-tuned engine. You guys should be happy, you have an engine which will probably never go wrong since it's only running at 70% of its rated output.
Also there is the possibility that someone puts to effort into cracking the N20 DME and you guys have yourself a hugely discounted 28i.
It's already possible to get the 18i remapped to a higher output than the standard 28i.
I think the difference between the dme's is in the processing power, the light weight version probably can't support such sophisticated mapping & falls a little short because of this? (Just guesswork on my behalf)
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

R.E92

2.0 tuning

Post by R.E92 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Smartbear wrote:
R.E92 wrote:
Rob

It's already possible to get the 18i remapped to a higher output than the standard 28i.
I think the difference between the dme's is in the processing power, the light weight version probably can't support such sophisticated mapping & falls a little short because of this? (Just guesswork on my behalf)
Rob
Processing power has nothing to do with it. The processing requirements of an engine do not increase as the power output increases. The DME is just telling the plugs when to spark and how long the injectors should stay open when spraying fuel, no additional calculation is needed for the higher power output of the 28i.

The only difference will be a set of registers within the software which dictate how much boost the car targets.