Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Changing or modifiying the headrest

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
pupeno

Post by pupeno » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:53 am

Hello,

I just sat on a Z4, which I'm considering buying and I have the same fit problem that I have with all cars: my head is pushed forward too much. This is because my neck has some issues and it's more straight than most people's. This, after an hour if driving will cause me a head ache. I had this problem with a Smart For Two, a Tesla Model S and the worst was a Corvette Stingray.

My question is, what is the likelihood of me being able to swap or modify the headrest to fit my needs?

ibroker

Post by ibroker » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:06 pm

I swapped the seats out of mine completely. Was a relatively simple job if your happy to "tinker"
Z4 35is Valencia Orange. Custom Quad Exhausts Custom 400hp Remap. :evil:

willgill

Post by willgill » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:22 pm

You can fix anything if you chuck enough money at it, simply/cheaply speaking there is no quick fix I'm afraid.

chapeau

Post by chapeau » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:41 pm

I've never tried this and don't know if it would work but could the headrest not be taken out of the seat and then the rods bent in a vice to push the headrest in the direction you require so that when put back in the seat it is moved either nearer or further away from your head?
I suppose another option may be to pad the backrest out slightly so that it seats you and therefore your head further away from the headrest in its current position??
Like i say no idea of any of this would work i was just thinking out loud after reading your post.
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:10 pm

chapeau wrote:I've never tried this and don't know if it would work but could the headrest not be taken out of the seat and then the rods bent in a vice to push the headrest in the direction you require so that when put back in the seat it is moved either nearer or further away from your head?
I suppose another option may be to pad the backrest out slightly so that it seats you and therefore your head further away from the headrest in its current position??
Like i say no idea of any of this would work i was just thinking out loud after reading your post.
If its an E89 he is looking at the headrests are fixed to the seat so your idea could not work on an E89 but could possibly work on other cars.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

chapeau

Post by chapeau » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:15 pm

I see. I have never been in an e89 so didn't know that. I learn something new every day :)
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:29 pm

Talk to a quality auto upholsterer. I had a seat in a older Lotus treat me the same, and a local shop built some additional padding into the lumbar area - up to the shoulder area - that moved me forward enough that the headrest didn't bother me. He used the original cover and modified it slightly along the sides and back to accommodate the additional padding. It looked and worked great...right up to me slamming it into a tree while trying avoiding a deer....

pupeno

Post by pupeno » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:29 pm

Thank you all for your replies. I will talk to someone about padding the backrest instead of modifying the headrest. :D

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:23 am

Have you tried sport seats or normal seats? I have the sport seats and although I don't suffer from discomfort you do in some cars I find that my head is never touching the headrest as it's pretty much inline with the back support of the seat.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S