Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Food for thought - MPG

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ibroker

Food for thought - MPG

Post by ibroker » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:08 pm

Twin Turbo wrote:Z4rick, totally agree with you "drive it like you stole it" school of thought - and 95% I do hence why I only achieve 32 MPG and my car has been modded to improve its handling and power.

I posted this, as bit of a joke :fuelfire: - as there been a number of MPG conversations from 35i/35is owners.

Circumstances on Friday meant I could not drive quick on my 200+ mile drive due to traffic - and my 30 mile sprited drive over the A68 caused a issue between the wife and me lol - I dont know what I enjoyed more - the drive or wife reactions :rofl: :evil:

However I am starting to consider an 35is as the next motor, as I dont do the millage as I used to do and cost of ownership is less of an issue.

However I would still like to know how a lighter more nibble motor will do compared a higher powered monster around a race track - as UK roads are not really suitable - and a 1/4 mile is not really a true test.
The difference is not what you would expect it to be. My mapped 35is is not dramatically quicker on the day to day twisties than my mates 23i. Disappiontingly so if brutally honest. Its torque is better is punch and sound are better but will it rip the arse out of a 23. No not really. Again we are talking UK twisties.

Stepping it up my 35is is also quite capable of parking itself on the arse of my 565bhp F-Type and staying there as demonstrated yesterday to me by my wife who was following me. She is an ex champion kart racer.

Bhp is somewhat over valued at times, the real time gains on day to day country roads can be somewhat negligible on anything with 250bhp upwards if your pushing on.
Last edited by ibroker on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Z4 35is Valencia Orange. Custom Quad Exhausts Custom 400hp Remap. :evil:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Food for thought - MPG

Post by Marlon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:10 pm

ibroker wrote:
Twin Turbo wrote:Z4rick, totally agree with you "drive it like you stole it" school of thought - and 95% I do hence why I only achieve 32 MPG and my car has been modded to improve its handling and power.

I posted this, as bit of a joke :fuelfire: - as there been a number of MPG conversations from 35i/35is owners.

Circumstances on Friday meant I could not drive quick on my 200+ mile drive due to traffic - and my 30 mile sprited drive over the A68 caused a issue between the wife and me lol - I dont know what I enjoyed more - the drive or wife reactions :rofl: :evil:

However I am starting to consider an 35is as the next motor, as I dont do the millage as I used to do and cost of ownership is less of an issue.

However I would still like to know how a lighter more nibble motor will do compared a higher powered monster around a race track - as UK roads are not really suitable - and a 1/4 mile is not really a true test.
The difference is not what you would expect it to be. My mapped 35is is not dramatically quicker on the day to day twisties than my mates 23i. Disappiontingly so if brutally honest.

Stepping it up my 35is is also quite capable of parking itself on the arse of my 565bhp F-Type and staying there as demonstrated yesterday to me by my wife who was following me.

Bhp is somewhat over valued at times, the real time gains on day to day country roads can be somewhat negligible on anything with 250bhp upwards if your pushing on.
Wise words
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Pastry

Food for thought - MPG

Post by Pastry » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:11 pm

:rofl: :rofl: life's too short... :roll:
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

Twin Turbo

Food for thought - MPG

Post by Twin Turbo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:30 pm

ibroker wrote:

The difference is not what you would expect it to be. My mapped 35is is not dramatically quicker on the day to day twisties than my mates 23i. Disappiontingly so if brutally honest. Its torque is better is punch and sound are better but will it rip the arse out of a 23. No not really. Again we are talking UK twisties.

Stepping it up my 35is is also quite capable of parking itself on the arse of my 565bhp F-Type and staying there as demonstrated yesterday to me by my wife who was following me. She is an ex champion kart racer.

I agree when your over 250BHP mark - is more about driver than car - the biggest improvement in my car was not the Mods but some tuition.

Driving uk roads - even quite roads in wales - you are no way near the limits of the driver or car.

However when on track having semi track tyres or full blone track tyres make a huge difference.

I would love to see such a monster leave me for dust

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Food for thought - MPG

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Well I've just done a 125 mile round trip in my 3.0Se, pretty much all dual carriageway & motorway, but uphill there and the reverse back..

Reset the computer when I started, cruise set at a GPS indicated 79mph, apart from 2 sections of M6 50 Specs :(

Averaged 76.4mph AND 30.4mpg, which is a personal best! I normally average around 20mpg, which given the fun factor, I am happy with!

Mike

Z4Rick

Food for thought - MPG

Post by Z4Rick » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:31 pm

Marlon and Twin Turbo make a great point. Road racing is a very different animal than a drag race, hill climb or flattrack racing. HP is only so much help and judicious braking, keeping the line and timing of acceleration is far more important than raw HP - and those things are all about the driver. My 35i has trouble shaking a 20i along the Potomac valley curvy sections that lead into Cumberland, but when we turn onto the Interstate for the climb up to Frostburg and go from 125 feet above sea level to 2565 feet, I lose sight of him in the rearview and never see him again.

This tells me I still have much left to learn about road racing......

Twin Turbo

Food for thought - MPG

Post by Twin Turbo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:22 pm

Z4Rick wrote:Marlon and Twin Turbo make a great point. Road racing is a very different animal than a drag race, hill climb or flattrack racing. HP is only so much help and judicious braking, keeping the line and timing of acceleration is far more important than raw HP - and those things are all about the driver. My 35i has trouble shaking a 20i along the Potomac valley curvy sections that lead into Cumberland, but when we turn onto the Interstate for the climb up to Frostburg and go from 125 feet above sea level to 2565 feet, I lose sight of him in the rearview and never see him again.

This tells me I still have much left to learn about road racing......
I would expect what you are experiencing to be true - and no driver error.

A 2i to 2.8i are 100KG lighter - so I would expect on the twisties they will have the ability to drive through a corner as quick as you - however you would have the ability to power out of a corner.

What I would love to find out - is how my modified 2.8i would compare to an 35is on a track. As driving on public roads is not really that sensible if you want to keep your licence.

From my personal experience from playing with 135i's, 335D's and 335i's that over 70 mph they will pull away. However on track I have noticed that I been gaining distance on both the entry and mid corner - however the exit were there extra torque comes into play - and recover the ground that they had lost.