Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Food for thought - MPG

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Twin Turbo

Food for thought - MPG

Post by Twin Turbo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:40 pm

Well, I put some :fuelfire: - as I seen a few peeps posting MPG questions regarding there straight six engines

Well had a weekend break in Bonarig just south of Edinburgh to see family.

Anyway Friday night, A1M - took the A68 to avoid the traffic - first time on that road loved it - even as much as the wife's reactions.

Anyway the drive up, even with some enthusiastic driving on the A68 - achieved an respectable 48 MPG over the total trip.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Food for thought - MPG

Post by Chris_D » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:08 pm

Twin Turbo wrote:Well, I put some :fuelfire: - as I seen a few peeps posting MPG questions regarding there straight six engines

Anyway Friday night, A1M - took the A68 to avoid the traffic - first time on that road loved it - even as much as the wife's reactions.

Anyway the drive up, even with some enthusiastic driving on the A68 - achieved an respectable 48 MPG over the total trip.
You use any particular techniques?
I skip gears, short shift, feather the throttle, max 65mph and coast for miles to a stop to achieve high mpg when appropriate. Have achieved 50mpg+ previously.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Food for thought - MPG

Post by Smartbear » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:18 pm

Chris_D wrote:
Twin Turbo wrote:Well, I put some :fuelfire: - as I seen a few peeps posting MPG questions regarding there straight six engines

I skip gears, short shift, feather the throttle, max 65mph and coast for miles to a stop to achieve high mpg when appropriate. Have achieved 50mpg+ previously.
With a turbo engine I find avoiding load as much as possible helps, even dropping a cog to spin up the rpm's can increase the mpg by reducing load (and boost)
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Twin Turbo

Food for thought - MPG

Post by Twin Turbo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:35 pm

Chris_D wrote:

This was a door to door to door

Kept car within national speed limits apart from some fun on the A68 - light throttle - and some costing down hills.

I have done 50+ MPG on a few runs - but that was not going over 60 Mph
17309565_10155087136343497_456280976151130739_n.jpg

ibroker

Food for thought - MPG

Post by ibroker » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:41 pm

I skip gears, short shift, feather the throttle, max 65mph and coast for miles to a stop to achieve high mpg when appropriate. Have achieved 50mpg+ previously.[/quote]

My god have you heard yourselves......skip gears. Coast..Feather the throttle...Coast......Dont put the engine under load.

Best you pop down to Nissan boys and buy a micra.

If i was heading down to the roads of Scotland the last thong i would want is to pull up behind one of you. I would be looking to have a good time........wow.
Z4 35is Valencia Orange. Custom Quad Exhausts Custom 400hp Remap. :evil:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Food for thought - MPG

Post by mr wilks » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:43 pm

:D ibroker beat me to it :oops: :P wrong forum chaps , try www.savefueldriveslow.com :poke:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

ibroker

Food for thought - MPG

Post by ibroker » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:43 pm

:rofl: :rofl:

And another one.

Not going over 60mph!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nooooooiooooooooooooooiooo :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Country road And some dude in a sports car not wanting to break the speed limit and looking for mpg. Somebody shoot me now!!! :poke: :fuelfire:
Z4 35is Valencia Orange. Custom Quad Exhausts Custom 400hp Remap. :evil:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Food for thought - MPG

Post by Chris_D » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:58 pm

You mpg nay-sayers are missing the point;
Why hoon it when you're doing a boring trip or monotonous commute? There's a time and place!
I'll be travelling down to Helmond from Vleuten on Wednesday for a business meeting, 200km round trip. Apply mpg mode.
Next weekend I'll be blasting through the hills of the Ardennes, scoping biking routes. Apply hoon mode.

Doesnt always have to be about needlessly wasting expensive fuel on every trip....

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Food for thought - MPG

Post by mr wilks » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:03 pm

Chris_D wrote:You mpg nay-sayers are missing the point;
Why hoon it when you're doing a boring trip or monotonous commute? There's a time and place!
I'll be travelling down to Helmond from Vleuten on Wednesday for a business meeting, 200km round trip. Apply mpg mode.
Next weekend I'll be blasting through the hills of the Ardennes, scoping biking routes. Apply hoon mode

Doesnt always have to be about needlessly wasting expensive fuel on every trip....

Touchy :cry: :w00t:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Food for thought - MPG

Post by Chris_D » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:09 pm

mr wilks wrote:
Chris_D wrote:You mpg nay-sayers are missing the point;
Next weekend I'll be blasting through the hills of the Ardennes, scoping biking routes. Apply hoon mode

Touchy :cry: :w00t:
Newp- just rational. I would indeed be driving around in a 65mpg 95-sipping micra if i was only interested in mpg :wink:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Food for thought - MPG

Post by Smartbear » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:11 pm

Any clown can get 10mpg, it takes real driving skill to turn that into a high figure, anyhow who says we drive like that all the time?
Right time, right place is a good motto I find :P
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Food for thought - MPG

Post by mr wilks » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:17 pm

Smartbear wrote:Any clown can get 10mpg, it takes real driving skill to turn that into a high figure, anyhow who says we drive like that all the time?
Rob
I'm assuming this was you having some sort of MPG enhancement carried out on your car :D

3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Food for thought - MPG

Post by Smartbear » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:23 pm

mr wilks wrote:
Smartbear wrote:Any clown can get 10mpg, it takes real driving skill to turn that into a high figure, anyhow who says we drive like that all the time?
Rob
I'm assuming this was you having some sort of MPG enhancement carried out on your car :D

Of course Andy, I keep my clown shoes in the boot :D
IMG_0743.JPG
IMG_0743.JPG (92.13 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Twin Turbo

Food for thought - MPG

Post by Twin Turbo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:47 pm

ibroker wrote::rofl: :rofl:

And another one.

Not going over 60mph!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nooooooiooooooooooooooiooo :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Country road And some dude in a sports car not wanting to break the speed limit and looking for mpg. Somebody shoot me now!!! :poke: :fuelfire:

:fuelfire:

I would love to have a play against your 400BHP monster - against my little 2 nissan micra wana bee :rofl:

Be interesting comparing power less power delivery and improved handling vs just raw POWER

:fuelfire: :fuelfire: or dont you want an 2ltr showing you up :fuelfire: :fuelfire: :driving:

Z4Rick

Food for thought - MPG

Post by Z4Rick » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:20 am

Interesting discussion. I am afraid I come from the "drive it like you stole it" school. I routinely make a 160 mile trek to Baltimore, (Maryland), downhill and all on highways with 70 MPH limits. My benchmark is a 2 hour flat time, which is tough to do since you have to show 85-90 most of the way to do it. I get 26 MPG (US) at these speeds, but loafing along I can get 32 MPG. This costs me about 1.1 extra gallons, or 2.2 round trip. 2.2 gallons times $2.69 a gallon is $5.92. So, it costs me an extra $6 to drive 320 miles in a 'spirited' fashion as opposed to mini-van speeds. Hell of a bargin at twice that price in my book. Unless you guys are paying a lot more for gas, I don't see the point.