Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Auto headlight dimming retrofit?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:36 pm

Is this possible?

My E89 is loaded with all the right options EXCEPT for this, and it would have been one of the first things I would have ordered on a new one. Anyone ever attempted a retrofit?

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Its really not that good. Its not the really sophisticated version that is available on other bmws. I have it and rarely benefit from it.

Trust me, it would be an expensive disappointment.
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:07 pm

Isn't it also the case the Xenons are so good* high-beam's not often needed?

(*Set just a tad high, perhaps.)
Vidi, vici, veni

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:00 pm

"Trust me, it would be an expensive disappointment."
Disappointed to hear that! Slows me down some.....I did find an aftermarket "kit", but reviews are mixed - at best.

"Isn't it also the case the Xenons are so good* high-beam's not often needed?"
I will look into raising mine a bit....Is that a tricky adjustment to make? Any tips?

I did just discover that the US will not allow this modification. The 'Rule' states headlights must be manually dimmable, and it seems some cars with the feature do not have a dimming switch....which I did not know.

I have a 20 mile drive home from the Interstate through a State Park and deer are a constant issue. High beams help enormously, but need dimming every other mile or so - a real pain. If I can raise the low beams just the smallest bit, it would be a huge help, but I assumed with the "Adaptive Headlights", that would not be possible. Thanks for the help.

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:01 am

I've got the auto option which does some sort of trick and splits the beam or something. I dip them manually because I was initially worried about driving at night in France so checked with BMW ...they said the dipped beam is flat so won't matter abroad but to use that and not the auto ... presumably the auto doesn't work for driving abroad ... :?
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

extaz

Post by extaz » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:19 am

I spoke to an owner that has the auto dimming and he does not like it. I think it had to do with not detecting cars that you are following.
The low beam is very easy to raise. There is a large female hex within a white plastic that is easily found behind the headlights under the hood. I set mine so that I can spot the potholes from a much greater distance

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:10 am

Sytner's did my dipped beams 'to be MoT legal + a bit' in 10 minutes for free and gave me a cup of coffee.

The outcome is that I rarely use the full beams, but then I don't have to drive through a state park with deer in the dark. Mind you, if I did, the deer would be blinded.
Vidi, vici, veni

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:16 pm

EXCELLENT! Thanks guys....I'll try this out for sure!

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:19 pm

extaz wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:19 am I spoke to an owner that has the auto dimming and he does not like it. I think it had to do with not detecting cars that you are following.
The low beam is very easy to raise. There is a large female hex within a white plastic that is easily found behind the headlights under the hood. I set mine so that I can spot the potholes from a much greater distance

You were spot on extaz and Busterboo! I raised my lights a bit and solved my problem! Brilliant! Thanks.