Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

combox install

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Dr-Jon

combox install

Post by Dr-Jon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:36 am

Can a Combox be retro fitted to a 2010 pro i drive with no sofeware update option in the idrive settings menu?
Thanks
2010 2.3 Auto with paddles in black with koral red leather and Sat Nav, heated seats, and steering wheel. stubby aerial

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

combox install

Post by Maniac » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:06 pm

It can, its expensive and is a fair bit of work but it's possible. However you lose all telematics and internet/online functions as the hardware is VIN matched.

Dr-Jon

combox install

Post by Dr-Jon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:19 am

Maniac wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:06 pm It can, its expensive and is a fair bit of work but it's possible. However you lose all telematics and internet/online functions as the hardware is VIN matched.
lol i don't have those functions thats why i want to install one, so i do....
2010 2.3 Auto with paddles in black with koral red leather and Sat Nav, heated seats, and steering wheel. stubby aerial

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

combox install

Post by Maniac » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:03 am

So, If you have iDrive on a precombox car then actually yes you will have those telematics and BMW online functions etc you just need a subscription to enable them.

Combox adds software updates (to allow for mobile phone driver installs), it also facilitates BMW apps, internet browser (waste of time), music cover art, improved bluetooth audio and iPod, upgraded car traffic data plus a few other bits. Half of that might be unusable if you're upgrading to it rather than it being factory.

Plenty of combox retrofit articles online if you google them...