Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Advice...?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Woody166

Advice...?

Post by Woody166 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Hi all. I've recently joined and am hoping to get some information before I buy. I currently have a C250...which is cool but pretty boring...hence looking for a toy!

I've been looking for a while now at all makes and models! Recently the 350z until I stumbled upon the z4 and realised how much you can get for your money.

Nitty gritty.... so I have done some research and the 2009 onwards 30i sdrive and 35i sdrive are models that I am interested in. Obviously one main difference being the NA engine as opposed to the twin turbo. I think the 35i is slightly out of my price range unless there is a super cheap one available somewhere :roll: my question is: what is the auto gearbox like in the 3.0 NA engine? Obviously the DCT would be the one I'd go for but is the other almost as good? And if anyone has aftermarket exhaust fitted do the gear changes result in 'farts' when shifting?

Thanks in advance
Nick :D

Zed Five

Advice...?

Post by Zed Five » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:17 am

The auto in the 3 litre n/a is a standard torque converter auto. It is a fine auto and a perfect match for the 3.0. However it is totally different to the dct box on the 35i and 35is. I'd be surprised if you can get a pop on upshifts, maybe a crackle if you needlessly change down and come off the throttle. It won't be like the turbo cars though. :|
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Advice...?

Post by ronk » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:54 pm

My previous 3.0 Auto didn't fart or crackle - driven sensibly on moderate throttle it was more or less incognito - heavy throttle and revs it sounded good and I never heard and crackles on the way down.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: