Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Questions before I buy

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
JammieMonster

Questions before I buy

Post by JammieMonster » Thu May 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Hi everyone!

So, im looking to buy a 2011-2013 Z4 20i but I have a few questions.

1. Manual vs Automatic? I have test driven an automatic and really enjoyed it, but I know there are a lot of die hard manual fans so some opinions on this would be great!

2. Is getting a CPO car from BMW worth it? The warranty and checks really appeal to me but its clear you pay a fairly hefty premium for this.

3. What trim packages would you suggest are worth having?

4. Anything else I should keep in mind as a first time Z4 buyer?

Thanks!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Questions before I buy

Post by Smartbear » Thu May 11, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi, I have the same model car you are looking at but it's a late 2013 car so it's an lci model (facelift)
Manual every time for me in a sporty car for greater involvement/control (just my opinion)
Bought mine from a backstreet dealer so can't comment about the bona fide cars :?
M-sport trim is desirable & includes different bumpers front/rear & M-sports seats & steering wheel.
19" wheels look great but have a tendency to crack if fitted with runflat tyres, the cars feel better with normal tyres fitted with a softer ride over bumps :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Tabz123

Questions before I buy

Post by Tabz123 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:00 pm

JammieMonster wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 9:02 pm Hi everyone!

So, im looking to buy a 2011-2013 Z4 20i but I have a few questions.

1. Manual vs Automatic? I have test driven an automatic and really enjoyed it, but I know there are a lot of die hard manual fans so some opinions on this would be great!

2. Is getting a CPO car from BMW worth it? The warranty and checks really appeal to me but its clear you pay a fairly hefty premium for this.

3. What trim packages would you suggest are worth having?

4. Anything else I should keep in mind as a first time Z4 buyer?

Thanks!
Hi

I totally agree with Rob in that manual is better, especially on the 2.0i as for me lag in the auto gearbox would be slightly annoying.

Also as per Robs suggestion the run flats are killer. Changed mine to standard tyres within first week of ownership.

M Sport trim really compliments the car giving it a very sporty look.

In terms of buying a car with peace of mind, it is fairly safe to go to a private seller and just get a comprehensive AA or RAC check done prior to the final transaction. I always go see a car and if I like it pay £100-200 deposit and obtain a receipt with a caveat that the inspection report is clear. 9/10 sellers are fine with this if they have kept up to date with their services etc. If someone is not keen on allowing an inspection then walk away promptly!

There can be heavy wear and tear on the bolsters of the leather seats so check the scratches have not worn through as repainting leather is cheaper on minor scuffs than restitching.

Always open and close the roof a good few times and if possible get a pipe and pour water over it. Might look unorthodox to the seller but best to check for leaks and that water doesnt collect in footwells etc.

Check car comes with wind deflector. Not all models do, though it only costs £100-200 its worth having.

Note that the 2011 and some 2012 models come as a 2.5 engine as a 23i ( 6 cylinder). These are more juicy to run at 204bhp but the acceleration a tad better and have a more throaty noise.

In 2012 the engine changed to a 2.0 20i ( 4 cylinder) with 184bhp. Engine noise is slightly quiter and the acceleration a little less but not significantly.

Also in 2013 the z4 had an upgrade and came with full zenons, DAB and poss Sat nav options fitted as standard so look out for these.

If anything of which i mention is nonsense then as a newbie too I stand corrected by the others. Rob will tell you fact from fiction lol
Tabz :thumbsup:

Cruising in a E89 Z4 2.0 20i msport (black/red)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Questions before I buy

Post by Nictrix » Thu May 11, 2017 10:18 pm

Xenons on all E89s.
Heated seats if you are going to use it top down in colder weather.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Tabz123

Questions before I buy

Post by Tabz123 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:24 pm

Nictrix wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 10:18 pm Xenons on all E89s.
Heated seats if you are going to use it top down in colder weather.
My 2012 has partial zenons

Busterboo

Questions before I buy

Post by Busterboo » Fri May 12, 2017 12:35 am

BMW authorised dealers will do a 'health check' for £44, I think, including a written & video-to-your-mobile report.
Vidi, vici, veni

brittas

Questions before I buy

Post by brittas » Fri May 12, 2017 7:43 am

The 8 speed auto box is a good one. I have it in my 28i. 0-60 is quicker . Move with the times. Modern autos with flappy paddle change is the way to go. If you encounter traffic often its a must.I would also think about a remap for a 20i. Will put it at 260 bhp+ with loads of torque.
My 28i remapped to 303 bhp with 378 ft lbs torque. The N20 isn't a bullet proof engine though . Some risk is involved remapping this engine.
remapping the 20i will be less risky as you would essentially be taking it just past the bhp of the 28i model.

JammieMonster

Questions before I buy

Post by JammieMonster » Fri May 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like i need to test drive a manual for comparison!
Il update you all once I have made a purchase
:D

adey

Questions before I buy

Post by adey » Fri May 12, 2017 8:22 pm

I would say manual as well, heated seats and wind deflector a must.
I am thinking of selling my 2013 2.0 m sport, don't know where you are based but welcome to come and have a look

Tabz123

Questions before I buy

Post by Tabz123 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:29 pm

adey wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 8:22 pm I would say manual as well, heated seats and wind deflector a must.
I am thinking of selling my 2013 2.0 m sport, don't know where you are based but welcome to come and have a look
How many miles on your car ? Colour ? Price ?

adey

Questions before I buy

Post by adey » Sat May 13, 2017 8:36 am

40,000 miles,Melbourne red,comfort pack,19" 326 alloy wheels with new uni royal rainsport 3service pack til 07/18 not too sure on price but would say about 14500-15000
Attachments
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG (196.76 KiB) Viewed 1324 times

Tabz123

Questions before I buy

Post by Tabz123 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:35 am

adey wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 8:36 am 40,000 miles,Melbourne red,comfort pack,19" 326 alloy wheels with new uni royal rainsport 3service pack til 07/18 not too sure on price but would say about 14500-15000
Likes looks great and spec sounds good. Sadly I am not a fan of red. Would certainly have considered if black/white/grey :roll:

Tricky Dicky

Questions before I buy

Post by Tricky Dicky » Sat May 13, 2017 11:02 am

Hi All
We've had our Z4 for about three years , I would comment as follows
You need the following
M tech styling pack , makes the car look more purposeful
I wanted Manual , so it could be rolled out of the garage in the morning without staring the enginefor my wife to use before I went to work ,you can't roll autos .
Comfort pack ,this includes folding mirrors , makes parking in garage easier , extended lighting ,I lov the way the door handles light up ,
Heated seats are a must in winter with hood down
Don't laugh but a heated steering wheel is superb great bit of kit
326 style wheel imo look by far the best on this car , also not many crack issues
Keep the Run Flats , You don't want a phone call of the wife or girl friend at 11-00 at night in the pouring rain asking you to come and change the tyres as you thought you were a smart arse and using NRF tyres the ride would be better !!! The tyres that is .
Dark colours show swirl marks an holograms in the paint far more
Sat nav , we don't have this I wish we did , I would say it's a must have .
The std radio is crap ,
Have the rear light clusters been replaced this was an issue ours were replaced under warranty
Fuel pump , bearing type noises coming from fuel tank , luckily on the third or fourth visit to the BMW shop the tech hear it and replaced the lot under warranty two months before it ran out . Phew , big money.
A Newer emissions friendly engine with start stop
The above is what I would want if I were looking , It's a great car roof down parked in the street , it says look at me , best classy looking car in its class , i.e. Boxter, SLK
Enjoy it once you get it ,
2013 E89 Z4 2.0L M Spec titanium silver,black leather,comfort pack, 19" 326 alloys ,I love this car. :driving:

Tabz123

Questions before I buy

Post by Tabz123 » Sat May 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Tricky Dicky wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 11:02 am Hi All
We've had our Z4 for about three years , I would comment as follows
You need the following
M tech styling pack , makes the car look more purposeful
I wanted Manual , so it could be rolled out of the garage in the morning without staring the enginefor my wife to use before I went to work ,you can't roll autos .
Comfort pack ,this includes folding mirrors , makes parking in garage easier , extended lighting ,I lov the way the door handles light up ,
Heated seats are a must in winter with hood down
Don't laugh but a heated steering wheel is superb great bit of kit
326 style wheel imo look by far the best on this car , also not many crack issues
Keep the Run Flats , You don't want a phone call of the wife or girl friend at 11-00 at night in the pouring rain asking you to come and change the tyres as you thought you were a smart arse and using NRF tyres the ride would be better !!! The tyres that is .
Dark colours show swirl marks an holograms in the paint far more
Sat nav , we don't have this I wish we did , I would say it's a must have .
The std radio is crap ,
Have the rear light clusters been replaced this was an issue ours were replaced under warranty
Fuel pump , bearing type noises coming from fuel tank , luckily on the third or fourth visit to the BMW shop the tech hear it and replaced the lot under warranty two months before it ran out . Phew , big money.
A Newer emissions friendly engine with start stop
The above is what I would want if I were looking , It's a great car roof down parked in the street , it says look at me , best classy looking car in its class , i.e. Boxter, SLK
Enjoy it once you get it ,
Hi Tricky Dicky

Could you explain the rear light cluster issue and fuel pump noise in a little more detail please.

Cheers

Zed Five

Questions before I buy

Post by Zed Five » Sat May 13, 2017 6:48 pm

Note that 326 stýle wheels DO have serious cracking problems. But they are a great looking wheel. No modern bmw is immune from risk of 19" wheel cracks.
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.